C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinsler Injection

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
Did you check them ?

This is a link to a BB unit. Price seems high, i think you can get it cheaper if you contact DC & O directly. Should have the info here somewhere. At the time i ordered they were best contacted by fax. The guy is pretty old and not into emails and stuff.

http://stackinjection.com.au/main-gr...qp9nl7e3r8cul7
Can't seem to publish this - so click the link
For all you US guys who want a home grown Kinsler Cross Ram (or side draught to be Euro perfectionist!)

http://kinsler.com/handbook31.html
Old 02-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Wm.Kibler
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC Kinsler Crossram

If anyone is looking for one of these Kinsler BBC Cross ram set ups reach out to me. I have one that has only 19 miles on it. 12k to purchase from Kinsler. You could get one heck of a deal.
Wm. K
Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 PM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please post some pictures
Old 02-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Wm.Kibler
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossram pics....

Current photo

Going in 2003

Current. I also have triple screen covers that Kinsler made up for me.

Last edited by Wm.Kibler; 02-06-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: More info
Old 02-06-2019, 08:53 AM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you asking for it? Nice system.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Back in the 90's I spent a huge amount of time on research and development on separate inlet runners. One of the projects was my own Buell motorcycle. I can tell you that separate runners can make you crazy, but if you get it right, it can make for some huge power in the rpm range you set it up for. If you get it wrong, you will be severely underwhelmed!

In 1994 I designed heads for street and Top Fuel Harleys, both went on to set lots of records. I put a set on my own Buell and started doing R&D. I used a program called Dynomation to develop a correlation between computer simulation and real dyno tests. I won't go into detail here because it would take a lot of pages of writing to cover all I did.

I started off with building my Buell with my dual carb billet heads with fairly short intake runners and used a stock Buell 2 into 1 header with a Supertrapp muffler on it. The cams were ones I designed with 256 duration and .650" lift on the intake and 256 duration with .500" lift on the exhaust. My exhaust ports flow a very high percentage of intake flow and I've never believed you need high lift on the exhaust. The compression was just under 11 to 1. All testing was done with 93 Octane BP ethanol premium as this was a street bike.

The first dyno test in this configuration yielded only 74 horsepower, the exact same as a stock 101 HP Buell Lightning engine did at the rear wheel. I knew I had a lot of work ahead of me. After many tests I developed a correlation between Dynomation and the real dyno test. From this I was able to develop the final intake tract and header and muffler dimensions and design.

To make a very long story short, I went from 74 horsepower to 130 rear wheel SAE horsepower and 110 foot pounds of torque from a 78.6 cubic inch engine. I never used the inflated STD or STP numbers.

Just so everyone understands here, the Harley Sporster drivetrain, which is what a Buell has, cost about 25% from the engine. I've tested this numerous times. Dragging a steel triple row chain, clutch basket and alternator rotor through a primary full of oil is not very efficient. The Harley transmission is not know for efficient power transfer either. Anyway that puts the crankshaft horsepower at about 173 and torque at 147. That's 2.2 HP per cube and 1.87 Tq per cubic inch.

This was a fun bike to ride with a wide powerband and it made power to 8000 RPM.

A Bonneville Salt Flats racer, Tom "Santa Clause" Andersen of the Buell Brothers race team called me one day and wanted the engine for his land speed Buell. I sold him the bike and then helped him set it up and tune it for Bonneville. The record he was going for was 151 MPH. Him and his rider went out and smashed the record running over 176 MPH. Remember, this was my pump gas street engine. We later upped the compression to 14.5 to 1 and made 139 HP and 116 torque rear wheel SAE. Sadly weather and bad salt kept the bike from setting the record again. Santa ended up having health problems and sold the bike. I don't know what the new owner ever did with it. Santa came through his health problem though, so that was good.

At the same time I was doing the street heads, as I said, I also designed Top Fuel Harley heads. I was the first to make seperate runner intakes that came out each side of the bike, same as everyone does now. Between Doug Vancil and Jay Turner the heads were on Championship winning bikes at the IHRA 5 years in a row. Doug Vancil ran 6.26 ET and 225 MPH almost 20 years ago with a 158 inch engine with a simple clutch and fuel system. The bikes now run 196" engines with timers on the clutches and fuel system with programmable ignitions and are not that much faster 20 years later. There are guys still running these heads in the Pro Fuel class at AMRA today and up until this year they were still run at NHRA Top Fuel.

Anyway you can make huge power with separate inlets, but it takes a huge amount of R&D, especially if you run carbs, but that is a whole long story in itself.

Mike

My Buell with my billet separate runned heads.

Tom "Santa Clause" Anderson with his bike on my dyno.

Buell Brothers race team at Bonneville with their bike with my little street engine in it.

Doug Vancil on his Top Fuel Harley in the late 90's with my billet Top Fuel heads.

The following users liked this post:
sagebrush rebel (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 06:27 PM
Crimson Thunder
Burning Brakes

Received 445 Likes on 273 Posts

I can't stop drooling over the cross-ram set up in post #35. I would love to hear the sound when all eight throttle bodies open up at full throttle.

Quick Reply: Kinsler Injection