C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

383 Engine on eBay??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 12:12 AM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Default 383 Engine on eBay??

Hey guys i'm looking for your thoughts on this engine I found on ebay. I'm not quite ready yet for an engine as I am doing a frame up restoration. However, I found this set-up to be interesting and I would consider buying it. I have a 71 Convertible, I will be adding a Tremec TKO500, 4:11 gears, vette brakes rack and pinion steering set-up, and more.

I would plan to use for car shows, cruises, and occasional trip down the drag strip. I would want someting that would run on pump gas, with good street manners, but with a little lumpy cam idle. What are your thoughts on this engine? I'm a bit leary on buying an engine on ebay. Any feedback would be appreciated!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...item5642add51f
Old 03-12-2011, 12:19 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Tell us about your hood.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:24 AM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

It has an L88 hood, so I don't think that engine height will be an issue...

Last edited by spdrcr29; 03-12-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:53 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i find skip white a bit weird and think pro comp is a gamble.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 AM
onebadmofo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
Please explain why do you think Pro Comp is a gamble.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may be a GM block, but most everything inside will be imported.

I had a set of Pro Comp heads, from this same individual and they were junk ! You could not buy an intake gasket that would fit the heads, and the castings looked worse than the old GM cast iron heads in the runners.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by spdrcr29
....I'm a bit leary on buying an engine on ebay. Any feedback would be appreciated!
Here, I cannot disagree with your instinct; why should you? That ad is packed with hype & mostly cheaper quality stuff. Suggest you find someone close by (warranty enforcement / adjudication) to build yours or buy a GMPP crate.

One notable exception is a piece from Year One ... exempted because after several years so many are using it with rare complaint. A +400hp roller-cam pump-gas motor for $3K. Reference YearOne CT350PC1
Old 03-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Imo Apita
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had a set of Pro Comp heads, from this same individual and they were junk ! You could not buy an intake gasket that would fit the heads, and the castings looked worse than the old GM cast iron heads in the runners.
Did you get back to them and try and get the issue resolved?
I just bought a 383 rotating assembly from them for my build.
You don't get to be a top rated E-bay seller for nothing.
If you check ebay, 30184 positive reviews/feedback in the last 12 months and 29 negative (that is 0.096%);
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...=off&items=200
and Skip White got run off this forum for not being a supporting vendor defending his products so he's not very popular here.
Be an educated buyer, check the feedback and see if any of it pertains to his crate motors.
I reckon most of it is the I-ordered-two-received-only-one variety.
Keep in mind, you can get a bad engine anywhere, even from you local "highly recommended" machine shop.
Used to know this guy, most respected engine builder in the county (!) had a motor grenade on him on the second 1/4 mile pass.
Point being, unless it says Toyota or KIA on the grille you never know.

*** Just read the Ebay posting again, he does offer warranty on this engine and it uses the new Bowtie block rather then a refurbished "old" block ****

Go for it.

Last edited by Imo Apita; 03-12-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:32 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

That is a high rise intake and probably will not fit under your L88 hood.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the shaft buy an eBay seller with excellent reviews.those ratings don't mean squat to me.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Jackson is spot on. It looks like a bunch of poor quality stuff. I personally don't care for the cross hatch in the cylinder walls. Check the rep. with the Pro Comp stuff. For that money I'd not like a scat crank either.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo Apita
Did you get back to them and try and get the issue resolved?
I just bought a 383 rotating assembly from them for my build.
You don't get to be a top rated E-bay seller for nothing.
If you check ebay, 30184 positive reviews/feedback in the last 12 months and 29 negative (that is 0.096%);
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...=off&items=200
and Skip White got run off this forum for not being a supporting vendor defending his products so he's not very popular here.
Be an educated buyer, check the feedback and see if any of it pertains to his crate motors.
I reckon most of it is the I-ordered-two-received-only-one variety.
Keep in mind, you can get a bad engine anywhere, even from you local "highly recommended" machine shop.
Used to know this guy, most respected engine builder in the county (!) had a motor grenade on him on the second 1/4 mile pass.
Point being, unless it says Toyota or KIA on the grille you never know.

*** Just read the Ebay posting again, he does offer warranty on this engine and it uses the new Bowtie block rather then a refurbished "old" block ****

Go for it.
I don't care if he has a 100,000 possitive feedback, and yes I confronted him on this forum regarding the heads, no intake gasket would match well enough to satisfy me, except for a 3/16 in. Mr Gasket pos, and he said I should not be concerned about the poor fit. and besides that, I would never build a motor using a block that has not been seasoned.

If you want to support him, that is your choice. As far as I am concerned, my dealing with him was a bad experience.

Most people on Fle Bay leave feedback long befor they get a chance to use something for a few months.

The guy is a hell of a writer, If old Walt Disney was still alive he would hire him in a second.

Last edited by Phil Zell; 03-12-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 PM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by onebadmofo
Please explain why do you think Pro Comp is a gamble.
pro comp has improved from when it first appeared so most now are getting more reliable better parts but its still not up to the quality of most other speed parts. Im pretty close to the blokes at my local speed shop and they dont stock much of it any more due to too many returns and complaints.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll fill you all in as I'm having Procomp heads installed on my L46 as well as a Comp roller cam and more.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:21 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

I would never build a motor using a block that has not been seasoned.
So I guess you would never buy a new car either?
That is such an old-wives tale, but I guess you wouldn't believe me so:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-...referable.html
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/seas...new-36589.html
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-...new-block.html

I personally don't care for the cross hatch in the cylinder walls

And you could tell that from a picture?
You couldn't tell that wasn't the final finish?

Last edited by Imo Apita; 03-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:22 PM
spdrcr29
Burning Brakes

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback...just what I was looking for. The photo of the engine in that ebay listing looks great and the guy sure knows how to write, but I guess looks can be decieving huh!! Sounds like I should just find a local engine shop. Maybe i'll just keep my current block and have it machined and use much higher quality parts. That way, I wouldn't get stuck with an ebay engine that was built with crapy foreign internal parts and then try to deal with someone hundreds of miles away when something fails...
Old 03-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Imo Apita
Pro

then try to deal with someone hundreds of miles away when something fails...
THEY OFFER WARRANTY unlike your local machine shop. They can build you an engine anyway you like.
Go ahead call them, talk to them. Don't go by 12 posts on an anonymous forum, mine included. I could be a doctor for all you know....

Last edited by Imo Apita; 03-12-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 Engine on eBay??

Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo Apita
THEY OFFER WARRANTY unlike your local machine shop. They can build you an engine anyway you like.
Go ahead call them, talk to them. Don't go by 12 posts on an anonymous forum, mine included. I could be a doctor for all you know....
12 posts on this forum are worth 20 pages of skip white dribble.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I do cross hatch every day. and a photo can show the cross hatch as I've sent them to customers myself.
Most everything on here is opinion. Some with experience and some speculative.
An internet search will only add to that dilemma. As that is opinion also.
A good rule of thumb though is If it's cheap there is a reason. There is a reason Nascar uses particular brands of parts.
It is a balance of how well you want to build your engine. There is no such engine as a bullet proof engine. Or you would never see one granade on the Sunday races.
The better the parts in the bottom end the stronger and most likely longer it will last. Some of the cranks coming from china, or any of the parts from there, are suspect in quality with regard to the metal content. I do know that when a customer wants one in an engine I'm doing, I have it turned .010 X .010 as I've found them to not be true to center line.
Unless you flow test a head can anyone really know what it flows? Nope. Just reading the advertising from a guy who wants to sell the part.
Just like the advertised MPG you read on some cars. They must take those tests at mile high stadium, with a strong tail wind, a 60 pounds 9 year old driver, and going with the rotation of the earth.
As far as the warranty goes, I've seen customers go through that battle before. By the time you end up trying to prove the questions they have you may end up with just a settlement for a part of the engine.
Ask if they or who is going to cover the R&R on the deal also.
With a local builder, you at least have someone you can get into small claims court or common pleas court for that matter. Won't happen out of state.
Same deal with crate motors. Somebody is building that engone. Is it built by somebody who works an engine from start to finish. Or is it built on an assembly line where the builder does the same thing all day and really doesn't get a feel for how the engine is going together. I don't know. I can tell you, building one from stem to stern you can get a feel sometimes when something just isn't right. That feeling often results in finding an issue, found by taking it back down and inspecting more closely.
Back to the rule of thumb. Really good parts have a cost to produce. Therefore, have a cost that must be met. So nobody I know staying in business, can stay that way, by giving them away.
Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

By the way, looking at their shop, they have good equipment there. If all the blocks are machined and preped like the photos I don't question the block. Just for quality I would buy better parts.
To me, with the block prep they do, I'd ask if you could upgrade and choose your parts yourself. It's done all the time tith things such as the gasket kit. There should be no reason you couldn't request a quote with a crank, rods, pistons, cam and heads of your choice.
My bet is they won't be that flexible

Quick Reply: 383 Engine on eBay??