C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 ecm

Old 08-03-2011, 03:57 AM
MattCC81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 ecm

Just changed out stocks parts new carb but old distrubutor what all is it effecting and how can I fix it..

Did alot of work hoping to fire it up tomorrow

And also is there a torque spec for the rockers

Last edited by MattCC81; 08-03-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We're going to need some information to answer a question like that. What were the original problems, what parts were replaced, what are the current issues, things like that. With the information you've provided, there's no way to answer the open ended question. As information, the CCC distributor is an HEI like any other except that the spark advance is controlled by the ECM.

As for the rockers, I'm assuming you mean rocker arms in the engine. No, there isn't a torque spec. They're adjusted to center the plunger in the lifter, and here are several ways to do this, some with and some without the engine running. Why is the adjustment necessary? These don't typically go out of adjustment....
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 AM
MattCC81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed headers carb intake cam.... I had my tranmission replaced to a 350 and a new torque converter before I did this and my car was running. Im just trying to see if I can run the stock distributor or not...

Edelbrock carb and all non egr
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you did not replace the carb with a correct Quadrajet with the [electrical] solenoid fuel mixture system, then the ECM is sending the distributor crazy signals on where to set timing. The '81 components work as a 'system'....or they don't work at all.

If this is your situation, you have two choices: rebuild the original carb to good working order and reinstall it; or replace the distributor with a pre-'81 HEI distributor that doesn't take its 'orders' from the computer. You will need to retain the ECM in the system so that it manages the lockup clutch in the transmission properly.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 ecm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 81 ecm