C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with headlight vacuum relays - bolts broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Need advice with headlight vacuum relays - bolts broke

Well, I went to remove the relays today and all four bolts broke off. The relays are shot and one was completely busted.

Any ideas on how to fix this or how to mount the new ones? The paint is good, so replacing the header bar is not really an option.

The AIM looks different too. They call out #4 as a bracket. I don't see any bracket there.

I was thinking about making a bracket and mounting it to the fender bolts.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C6DM,
What year is your car and what year is the AIM?
I looked at my 71 and it has the #4 bracket mounted to the header support with 3 bolts near the hood, and then the relays mounted to the bracket.
Obviously your support was different.
I'd think you could carefully drill 4 holes in the support to mount the relays with short self tapping bolts.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi C6DM,
I looked at my 71 and it has the #4 bracket mounted to the header support with 3 bolts near the hood, and then the relays mounted to the bracket.
I'd think you could carefully drill 4 holes in the support to mount the relays with short self tapping bolts.
Regards,
Alan
71 for both. I might give that a try. Obviously being VERY Careful to not drill too far.

Alan, Would you have a picture of that?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Duff,
I'm sorry but no.
I tried to get my camera in there but it just too crowded. The lense ends up about 3" from the relays and can't focus.
I agree that you need to be VERY careful to control the depth of the drill bit.
Regards,
Alan
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi C6DM,
Regards,
Alan
mine did this also [1982]
Old 08-29-2011, 01:27 PM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would put in four new holes about a half inch left or right.

You could put tape on the drill bit to keep from going too deep. I have also seen hard stops that you put on with a screw. I think the home improvement stores have them.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:42 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Those hard stops are nothing more than a set collar. I have never had good luck getting a set screw to bite onto a drill bit. Cut a piece of metal tubing about an inch shorter than your drill bit. Slip it over the bit after inserting it into the chuck and adjust the visible end of the bit for as much depth as you need. Once tight, the drill can't pull into whatever you are drilling any deeper than the exposed length of the bit.
The following users liked this post:
marshal135 (11-17-2016)
Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here's a thought: 68s only have one relay and tee from it to each headlight. Drilling two holes is half as easy as four, if you want to go that route.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by c69vete
Those hard stops are nothing more than a set collar. I have never had good luck getting a set screw to bite onto a drill bit. Cut a piece of metal tubing about an inch shorter than your drill bit. Slip it over the bit after inserting it into the chuck and adjust the visible end of the bit for as much depth as you need. Once tight, the drill can't pull into whatever you are drilling any deeper than the exposed length of the bit.
Perfect idea. Thanks much!
Old 08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I'm with jcloving. Just move the location of the relays a bit and drill new holes. By the way, you do need to buy a can of PB Blaster; and the proper use of it is to soak those bolts for a day or two before you try to remove the screws. No big deal, really. But 'Blaster' takes a while to work and loosen the rust.

Why worry about the broken off screws? They are rusted in well, at least.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
I'm with jcloving. Just move the location of the relays a bit and drill new holes. By the way, you do need to buy a can of PB Blaster; and the proper use of it is to soak those bolts for a day or two before you try to remove the screws. No big deal, really. But 'Blaster' takes a while to work and loosen the rust.

Why worry about the broken off screws? They are rusted in well, at least.
I was considering using PB Blaster, but I've heard that grease, wd40, etc is bad to get on the back side of the fiberglass. I wasn't confident that I could spray the bolts and not get any on the fiberglass. Seems like a fairly easy fix by drilling new holes.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to drill new holes in mine and I just used a small drill to get a pilot hole and then drilled to proper size for self tapping stainless screws. If you use good drills there is no need to push hard and it's easy to stop drill before fiberglass. Good luck
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 AM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 960 Likes on 597 Posts

My 71 does not have the #4 plate as well and both relays were pop riveted on.

Alan mentioned he had the plate but I think his car is an early 71 and I know mine is around mid year so could that plate have been removed from production (early/late 71 differences) or is it more likely it has just been tossed some time over the last 40 years ?

What does a 72 have ?

Craig
Old 08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you are worried about drilling thru anything, just spend $5 for a 'stop collar' for the drill. I just bought a set at Harbor Freight for $5.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:43 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you are worried about drilling thru anything, just spend $5 for a 'stop collar' for the drill. I just bought a set at Harbor Freight for $5.
i just slip i piece of rubber tube over teh bit, it won't slip off while you are trying to get teh drill where you want it...
Old 11-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Pikeslayer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but does anybody know the part number of the #4 plate?
Old 11-17-2016, 09:15 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

C6,

I had this problem also. There is nut plate either pressed or welded onto the back side of the header bar. If you change the location of the holes, you will miss that plate and the mount screws wont have much to bite into because the header bar isn't very thick. I suspect they would vibrate loose.

Anyway, the nut plate forms a divot on the out side that the drill bit sits nicely in. I just drilled out as much of the old screw as I could and retapped it with a 10-24. I did this with the header bar in the car, and it was difficult to get the drill bit perpendicular to the header bar, as you can see, I was unable to even reach one of the original holes.

The picture is from a later time when I removed the header bar for refurbishment. I included it because it shows the nut plates I'm talking about and the holes I drilled in it. Hope this helps and good luck.

MajD
Old 11-17-2016, 09:46 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Great tech tip
Thanks
Marshal

Originally Posted by c69vete
Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi P,
"I know this is an old thread, but does anybody know the part number of the #4 plate?"
The bracket that the relays mount to is part number 3966703.
I'm not sure if I've seen new brackets available but I'd think the Corvette parts recyclers would have it.
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice with headlight vacuum relays - bolts broke

Quick Reply: Need advice with headlight vacuum relays - bolts broke