C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Compartment Resto...Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Engine Compartment Resto...Assembly

Thought those that are checking in to see what's new for 2012 might be interest in following the assembly of my 1978 L48 engine restoration...limited to cosmetics. The objective is to prep for the eventually for some future owner to campaign it for NCRS Top Flight. I've spent the past few months dis-assembling, clean and paint. Know I won't need to solicit comments...I'm confidant they'll flow objectively but with affection....

So, here are a couple of pics of the block freshly painted from underneath.

Engine Left Side
Engine right side
Topside

I used an airbrush and Eastwood's engine GM Corporate Blue paint. Offered some nice control over the spray but still ended up using a brush to get the back of the block and avoid overspray on the tranny.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:09 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Yesterday and today began to install shields which are a pain and a lot of them. Got the starter installed, plug wires, looms, V shield, tranny lines.

Engine assembly passenger side

Also shot a photo of the frame front crossmember topside that I did along with a-arms. Will install new dust shields while also polishing the front shock washers. Finish on frame is Rust-O-leum flat...suggested by several CF regulars

Front crossmember

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 12-27-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi h4ca,
Very interesting pictures and nice attention to detail.
I ALWAYS enjoy seeing what people are doing.
Regards,
Alan

PS: During the Chevy orange period the jagged part of the timing tab OFTEN had a piece of tape on it.... so no paint; did that continue to the Corporate blue era? Thinking of Top Flight!
Old 12-27-2011, 05:48 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scrape or strip off some paint off by the mounting area of the starter, so you know it has a good reliable ground.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm not an NCRS guy by any means - but weren't the engines painted with the exhaust manifolds in place, such that there was overspray on the manifolds and then a shadow on the block?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi b,
You're sorta right.
The bb exhaust manifolds were in place so had some paint on them, but the sb exhaust manifolds went on after paint.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Ignition wire shields and gas lines painted with 'aluminum' paint isn't going to cut it with NCRS. And, the paint on the block looks more like Pontiac blue than GM "Corporate" blue. I'm not trying to be "picky", but you asked for feedback....

As far as cleaning things up...you're doing a nice job.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Ignition wire shields and gas lines painted with 'aluminum' paint isn't going to cut it with NCRS. And, the paint on the block looks more like Pontiac blue than GM "Corporate" blue. I'm not trying to be "picky", but you asked for feedback....

Actually gas lines are the original, carbon steel but rather corroded and left in place. You're probably referring to the tranny lines that are replacements but not painted.

The lighting and camera effects "lightens" the actual finish in the photo but the paint matched up nicely with the oil cap color that I left until the end for touch-up. So, the color seemed pretty close to what was left of the original paint.

Heat shields are 5 point condition and originality. Finish is 20% so do you take the hit for rust on condition or take the hit for finish on originality due to non-original finish? So either route won't cut it for about a point. The alternative was to send them all out for cadmium plating. The chrome covers, yet to be installed, were left as original. They are nice but rust is obvious if studied closely.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Alan 71
During the Chevy orange period the jagged part of the timing tab OFTEN had a piece of tape on it.... so no paint; did that continue to the Corporate blue era? Thinking of Top Flight!
The tech manual (1978-79) does not state that that practice continued during the later model years. I know as late as 1977, the manual describes the practice of using a mask on the timing tab and for the center of the harmonic balancer...as well as the dab of grease on the engine VIN stamp pad. Having said that...I've seen many low-mileage timing tabs with no paint...this one got paint!

In 78, pads were painted. So what you expect to see is the engine suffix painted, while the VIN derivative characters, stamped at the assembly plant, the characters cut into the metal and typically some rust can be seen where paint was cut away. I masked my pad and left it as it was. I attempted to retain elements of originality where it was practical and significant enough to do so.

VIN pad
Old 12-28-2011, 11:03 AM
1yy07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were is the clip for the solinod?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi b,
You're sorta right.
The bb exhaust manifolds were in place so had some paint on them, but the sb exhaust manifolds went on after paint.
Regards,
Alan
Thanks, Alan. Always new stuff to learn, and the restoration aspect has always facinated me. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate and admire the knowledge, skill and effort that goes into it!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Nice work.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
The tech manual (1978-79) does not state that that practice continued during the later model years. I know as late as 1977, the manual describes the practice of using a mask on the timing tab and for the center of the harmonic balancer...as well as the dab of grease on the engine VIN stamp pad. Having said that...I've seen many low-mileage timing tabs with no paint...this one got paint!
My two 78s and two 79s all had fully painted timing tabs.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:44 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Got some more work done but need some tips on how to crank down the balancer to 60# without the engine turning over.

So, here's the driver's side underneath...a few of the sins are visible.
Engine Left

Topside with pulleys in place, carb, throttle support bracket.

Engine topside

Of course, I found myself experimenting with new paints so here's one for those that have worked to refresh their EGR TVS valve with paint. Its Valspar picked up from Lowe's before hitting the hobby shop...its flat purple. I would suggesting guessing but, with the exception of the color, the closeup gives it away which one is original vs that for service replacement.

EGR TVS Valve
Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 PM
CraigH
Melting Slicks

Received 959 Likes on 596 Posts

Its starting to come together and look great.

You can open your hood and not be concerned about how it looks, rather the compliments.

Great work
Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

FWIW, and yes, OP, I read your response - I completely agree with 7T1.

This engine shows the correct shade of blue.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Quick update on this project that I'm wrapping up. This weekend I added water and oil and after a few pumps of the pedal...it cranked right up. Let it run several minutes checking for leaks but basically admiring my handiwork. Wanted to back it out of the garage and top of the radiator but thought I best do a walk around including a check underneath. That's when I discovered a pool of tranny fluid. Several CVers have helped figure that out but here are some pics from the top view.

engine final01
engine final02
engine final03
engine final04

Also, in terms of the engine paint shade of color, at Orlando last week, I placed the oil cap from my handiwork on the valve cover of a 176 mile L48 M20 Pace Car that went for $35k. The paint of the oil cap is actually a shade darker than the valve cover...but the lighting fails to capture the subtle difference.

VIN 3976_176 miles

Thanks all for the tips and suggestions.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Compartment Resto...Assembly

Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Glad to hear the paint color is just a photo issue. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You mean to say you're actually doing all that work with the engine still in the car. Pulling an engine, really isn't much a deal, and way easier detailing everything.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You used spray cans to paint the engine block?

Quick Reply: Engine Compartment Resto...Assembly