C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydroboost lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Resevior made, if anyone else wants some ideas I posted some pices taken during the process: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579799804-post33.html
Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Secret men's business!

Originally Posted by RobbSalzmann
Resevior made, if anyone else wants some ideas I posted some pices taken during the process: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579799804-post33.html
Robb,

Great job on the tank, where are you going to mount it? There's not a lot of room in these things. If you promise not to tell anybody, I made mine out of a piece of an old Holden tailshaft about 2.75" x 7.5" and the two inlets are short lengths of 3/4" steel tubing, about 2 inches long. They come in on the tangent, so that the fluid will swirl around the cylinder walls before settling.

I am working on the baffles at the moment, but I will turn some 3/4" steel bar I have on the old Hercus to weld into the ends of the tubes, and will drill them first for the AN screw in adapters. I had planned to use the top of an old Saginaw reservoir but am not proficient enough to TIG steel that thin. I have yet to make a top for the reservoir.

I am going to mount the reservoir in front of the Borgeson steering box, but not resting on the chassis. There's just enough room between the box and the upper A-arm for it to clear. Will post photos when done.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 01-22-2012, 01:20 AM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
where are you going to mount it?
I thought about that. I found some space in the middle in front of the big vacuum can the headlight doors run on.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Hair tearing out time!!!!!

Robb,

What sort of PS pump are you using? I just fitted my GM Series 2 pump and billet bracket and the fan belt for the alternator wants to run right through the middle of it.

No matter where I move it through its range of adjustment and beyond, the alt. fan belt is in the way. It's on the pulley groove closest to the block but even if I move it to the second one, I'm pretty sure that it will still rub on the pump body.

Then there's the Alt mount. I bought a billet one from Summit and it fits great, but I would then have to space it out over a half inch from the head (New longer bolts needed) and this would scream "Bubba." And then where do I fit the AC belt?

Just to get the car on the road I'm planning to refit the old Saginaw pump but first want to remove the old inlet nipple that points almost straight down and braze one or two -6 AN fittings into the reservoir. (BELOW the fluid level!!) This way I can run both the HB and Borgeson box return lines to it. At least I know that the alt. belt just misses the Saginaw pump so I can at least get in back on the road.

So all that work making the remote reservoir was a waste of time. I just don't know how people fit the little GM pump and don't have the fan belt problem - any ideas?

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn

Quick Reply: hydroboost lines