C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Corvette reverse light wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM
corvette_crazy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Corvette reverse light wiring

could someone tell me where the reverse light wiring for a manual gearbox comes out in the front of the car for the reverse lights as I am fitting a new switch but can't seem to find the wires,, any help would be appreciated..

Cheers..
Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_crazy
could someone tell me where the reverse light wiring for a manual gearbox comes out in the front of the car for the reverse lights as I am fitting a new switch but can't seem to find the wires,, any help would be appreciated..

Cheers..
Pink & Light Green wires. Should exit the firewall into the engine compartment via the same hole as the tach cable. Only sticks through about 4 inches before you reach the plug. The gearbox switch should have same pink & light green wires and be long enough to reach up the firewall to this area to make the connection.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 AM
corvette_crazy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Pink & Light Green wires. Should exit the firewall into the engine compartment via the same hole as the tach cable. Only sticks through about 4 inches before you reach the plug. The gearbox switch should have same pink & light green wires and be long enough to reach up the firewall to this area to make the connection.
Thanks for that mate, the plug must be under the dash somewhere as the tacho is not connected because it doesn't have a mechanical dizzy in it at the moment so I'm not sure where it should come out but atleast I now know what coloured wires I'm looking for..
Old 04-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvette_crazy
Thanks for that mate, the plug must be under the dash somewhere as the tacho is not connected because it doesn't have a mechanical dizzy in it at the moment so I'm not sure where it should come out but atleast I now know what coloured wires I'm looking for..

Well it can't be too far from the tach hole because the wires are only long enough to feed into the engine compartment about 4 inches as I said. Mine are wrapped in black harness tape almost up to the plug head. So you're looking for two wires wrapped in black with a 2 spade pig tail plug at the end.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi cc,
Here's a picture of the 4 hole grommet the wrapped wires come through, and the connector as Fred described.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi cc,
Here's a picture of the 4 hole grommet the wrapped wires come through, and the connector as Fred described.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks Alan, you just saved me 880 words.

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 04-28-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:09 PM
corvette_crazy
Cruising

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Thanks Alan, you just saved me 880 words.
Thanks very much guys, that made it a lot easier and saved me getting a headache..
Old 03-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Tater 1
Intermediate

Default Reverse Tail Lights

Was wondering the same thing so your photos helped me out.
Next question. The wires that feed through the firewall, mine are not connected to anything.

Where should I start to look to find the correct wires to plug these back in?

Thanks Much
Tater 1
Old 03-28-2013, 09:36 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tater 1
Was wondering the same thing so your photos helped me out.
Next question. The wires that feed through the firewall, mine are not connected to anything.

Where should I start to look to find the correct wires to plug these back in?

Thanks Much
Tater 1
Locate the switch on the drivers side of the transmission (4-speed). The wires should be attached.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Chris Boucher
4th Gear

HELP!! Is there an intermediate wire between the wire on the switch under the car? The wire that sticks out of the firewall is NO where near long enough to reach the plug under the car Im going CRAZY trying to fix my reverse lights Please Help
Old 05-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

might be better to start brand new thread......
Old 05-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Chris,
4-speed?
The original wire connected at the switch itself was long enough (24"-30" ?) to reach the the connector that comes through the firewall and extends a few inches.
Regards,
Alan

There is a clip on the transmission tunnel that helps route the wire.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-05-2018 at 01:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Boucher (05-11-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 PM
Chris Boucher
4th Gear

Default 1969 4 speed tranny reverse light wire harness

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Chris,
4-speed?
The original wire connected at the switch itself was long enough (24"-30" ?) to reach the the connector that comes through the firewall and extends a few inches.
Regards,
Alan

There is a clip on the transmission tunnel that helps route the wire.
Alan, I thank you sir for your reply Yes, it IS a 4 speed Although the wire that comes off the switch is only about 4" ( 4 inches) long. I think that may be the issue.Ive looked under the car to see IF there was a hole that the wire should go through the tunnel but theirs not and Im all about being correct so of course I want it to be back the way the factory intended Thats why Im lost with the fact the wire coming off the switch is too short I am the 2nd owner of the car I bought it 2 years ago and need to get the reverse lights working for inspection. The first owner has no clue about the reverse switch and was not so forth coming with ANY info about the car (I bought it at Auction) The wire coming out of the firewall is also about 4" (4" inches) long So im guessing the switch is incorrect as I believe the harness off the switch should be long enough to reach the firewall as in your pictures. Do you have the components I need to fix it correctly as the factory intended? I have bought from Zip an extension wire intended for the "78" But have not yet tried to see if it is long enough or if it would work but would much rather go back to correct Please let me know IF you have the complete set up available for sale as in your photo OR where I may be able to but it without breaking the bank. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for getting back to me Sir
Chris

Last edited by Chris Boucher; 05-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Chris...the wiring is attached to the switch as you know...so either buy a new switch with the wire being able to connect to the harness at the firewall...or run wires from the current reverse switch you have to the connector at the firewall.

You are making this much harder on yourself that you need to. Especially if all you need right now is to get it to work. You can make it 'pretty' later.

It does not matter which wire goes where...just get them joined. Like I wrote...getting it to the point where it can be judged later can be done after it passes the inspection.

ASSUMING that you have 12 volts on the PINK wire in the connector at your firewall when the key is ON...and that when the shifter and transmission is in REVERSE...you have continuity a the switch at your transmission by checking the two wires coming out of your switch.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Chris Boucher (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Chris Boucher
4th Gear

Thanks DUB: I really appreciate the feedback. I like (have) to do things 1X if possible. I find IF I dont do it the first time correctly, chances are, I may never get back to it so I make myself do it correctly the first time and I believe like yourself Im not "really" going for judging but want Everything "GM" as possible I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your input :O) Thank you Sir
Old 05-10-2018, 08:35 PM
Chris Boucher
4th Gear

Default "69" C3 vette reverse light switch

Originally Posted by Chris Boucher
Alan, I thank you sir for your reply Yes, it IS a 4 speed Although the wire that comes off the switch is only about 4" ( 4 inches) long. I think that may be the issue.Ive looked under the car to see IF there was a hole that the wire should go through the tunnel but theirs not and Im all about being correct so of course I want it to be back the way the factory intended Thats why Im lost with the fact the wire coming off the switch is too short I am the 2nd owner of the car I bought it 2 years ago and need to get the reverse lights working for inspection. The first owner has no clue about the reverse switch and was not so forth coming with ANY info about the car (I bought it at Auction) The wire coming out of the firewall is also about 4" (4" inches) long So im guessing the switch is incorrect as I believe the harness off the switch should be long enough to reach the firewall as in your pictures. Do you have the components I need to fix it correctly as the factory intended? I have bought from Zip an extension wire intended for the "78" But have not yet tried to see if it is long enough or if it would work but would much rather go back to correct Please let me know IF you have the complete set up available for sale as in your photo OR where I may be able to but it without breaking the bank. I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for getting back to me Sir
Chris
Also Alan Here on the site it looks like your photo bucket acct. MAY need to e updated so to be able to see the photos you have posted on this site I have NO IDEA about this Just that You were Generous enough to post the photos, It would be nice if they stayed on here Thank you again for your post Please do let me know IF you have the stuff I need to be correct I dont know why even an aftermarket company would re-produce a switch and not get it correct length wire It seems to be the issue why it's not connected Please let me know your thoughts Your input IS helping people FOR SURE! WORLDWIDE as it seems

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Corvette reverse light wiring

Quick Reply: 1969 Corvette reverse light wiring