C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laugh or cry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Laugh or cry?

I have been fighting a problem with my turn signals for a couple weeks. I have had three working blinkers. I mean three actually blink, I have never seen this before. Most times if one blinker stops working the other blinker on that side just lights up and does not blink. Well, today I pulled the light blue wire out of the harmonica connector on the steering column, plugged it back in to be sure it was seated, and got all the blinkers working! But when I went to look at what had for weeks been my dead left front blinker, I noticed a white light behind the grill blinking; it was my left high beam. It was only the left one so I turned on my lights to get them to pop up for a look. That was when my right front high beam also came on blinking. So as it stands, when I hit my left turn indicator with my lights on both high beams flash with the blinker.(the car looks like this ) If I hit the left turn indicator with the lights off the left high beam blinks behind the grill with the turn indicator. If I hit my high beams, they stop flashing and my left front turn signal goes out, and the left rear one stays on but stops flashing. This is my fourth Corvette, I know to expect wiring problems, but now poltergeist?!! That harmonica connector looks like it comes apart, any idea how?

Zorro
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm voting for cry....(I would!)

Old 09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
2Quickrides
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If EVER there was a justification for this, this is it....
http://www.painlesswiring.com/
There's some serious back feeding happening there. Very likely shorts in a few places......
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You just have some ground wiring that is not making good connection to the frame. Find the ground wires (also for the turn indicators under dash area) and make sure the wiring is good and the connections are clean. That should solve your problems.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Zorro O
Racer

I thought I should start with the connectors on the harmonica. So I pulled it off the steering column, and the white wire fell off it. I cleaned it up and pushed it back in, and for the first time since I did the motor swap all the exterior lights work!

Thanks for the suggestions you were all right! Bad ground due to worn out wiring connector. Now I get to start thinking about replacing that harmonica connector. (fun position to work in ) So I may cry yet.

Zorro
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 2Quickrides
If EVER there was a justification for this, this is it....
http://www.painlesswiring.com/
There's some serious back feeding happening there. Very likely shorts in a few places......
I never understood why anyone would want to yank out a factory harness and put one of these in.. Or buy one vs. buying the real harness.

We had a customer with an 81 that had one and boy what a mess... Far from painless to fix both on our part and the customers pocket book...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased my engine and headlight wiring harness from M&H and having similar problems with the passenger side front marker light not working. I do believe its a ground problem or something in the steering column with the banjo connector. Good luck. Isn't chasing wiring gremlins FUN?!?!?!

Mike
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Well at least M&H makes factory harness's and not those generic ones...

On your front marker lamp.. check the extension harness.. make sure the connectors for the bulbs don't have paint in them.. (saw that the other day).

They are a common problem... Most people buy the headlamp harness and forget about the extensions.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:32 PM
thiatt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take the driver seat out when working in this area. Makes it comfy lay on your back throw legs up in cargo area.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You just have some ground wiring that is not making good connection to the frame. Find the ground wires (also for the turn indicators under dash area) and make sure the wiring is good and the connections are clean. That should solve your problems.

I had a ground wire break on a taillight housing. Everytime I touched the brakes the fuel gauge went from the correct reading to way past full. Turns out the taillights decided to ground through the fuel gauge curcuit. Electrical issues are a pain.

I vote cry...scream and curse too
Old 09-25-2012, 10:59 PM
Zorro O
Racer

Originally Posted by thiatt
I take the driver seat out when working in this area. Makes it comfy lay on your back throw legs up in cargo area.
Me to, it's just getting harder to get in and out of that position.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Well at least M&H makes factory harness's and not those generic ones...

On your front marker lamp.. check the extension harness.. make sure the connectors for the bulbs don't have paint in them.. (saw that the other day).

They are a common problem... Most people buy the headlamp harness and forget about the extensions.
I'll check that, thanks.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Laugh or cry?

Quick Reply: Laugh or cry?