C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
What about asking Borgeson for an exchange. It could be a misalignment of your frame or steering mount but it could also be their steering box.
If it was the frame or steering mount, the old box wouldn't fit eighter. I bought this on Ebay seven mounths ago and the plan was to do the insatall this winter. The company dosen't answer my email.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbuchberg
If it was the frame or steering mount, the old box wouldn't fit eighter. I bought this on Ebay seven mounths ago and the plan was to do the insatall this winter. The company dosen't answer my email.

If you the old one lined up fine, then the problem is the way the bracket is welded onto the Borgeson box
Old 02-22-2013, 11:47 AM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by qwank

If you the old one lined up fine, then the problem is the way the bracket is welded onto the Borgeson box
That's what I tried to tell Borgesen. Without any luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

That's what I tried to tell Borgesen. Without any luck.
My steering gear was boxed wrong when I got mine. I didn't have to deal with Borgeson, but the company I bought it from gave me a little trouble when I told them it was wrong. Told me it wasn't a direct fit kit and some fabrication would have to be done. I told them they were wrong. I had to lie and tell them this was my 3rd time installing the kit on various cars and this was the only one I had a problem with before they would consider that there may be a problem.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My steering gear was boxed wrong when I got mine. I didn't have to deal with Borgeson, but the company I bought it from gave me a little trouble when I told them it was wrong. Told me it wasn't a direct fit kit and some fabrication would have to be done. I told them they were wrong. I had to lie and tell them this was my 3rd time installing the kit on various cars and this was the only one I had a problem with before they would consider that there may be a problem.
I purchased my Borgeson unit from Summit Racing. Borgeson had included Ford power steering hoses. I called Summit who in turn told me to call Borgeson. They did exchange the hoses but charged me shipping. I was too busy at work to call them and express my dissatisfaction about charging me shipping for their error.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:32 PM
68 Issues
Advanced

Frankenvette,

Did you change your springs and shocks as part of your front suspension rebuild? I am in the process of completing this same project (Borgeson box included) but ran across a little problem when putting everything back together. On the drivers side, the inside tie rod end now contacts the back side of the lower control arm blocking it from turning the wheels all the way to the left (actually it won't go past straight when turning to the left). I am thinking that I may have to put the car back down on the ground so the control arms will move back into their natural position under the weight of the car. I was just wondering if you might have the same problem.

My apologies if I just diverted from the original thread topic and took everyone on a tangent.

Thanks,

Kelly
SW Florida
Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 68 Issues
Frankenvette,

Did you change your springs and shocks as part of your front suspension rebuild? I am in the process of completing this same project (Borgeson box included) but ran across a little problem when putting everything back together. On the drivers side, the inside tie rod end now contacts the back side of the lower control arm blocking it from turning the wheels all the way to the left (actually it won't go past straight when turning to the left). I am thinking that I may have to put the car back down on the ground so the control arms will move back into their natural position under the weight of the car. I was just wondering if you might have the same problem.

My apologies if I just diverted from the original thread topic and took everyone on a tangent.

Thanks,

Kelly
SW Florida
yes I have change every thing and have the
same issue with my car, also the driver side, but I will wait and see what happens when I put the engine back in and get a little more weight on the control arms.

Last edited by peterbuchberg; 02-23-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '13,'15,'17,'18,'22-'23

Hopefully this won't be considered a thread hi-jack but here are some pics of my ongoing install on my 68. Every thing seems to clear with the chassis unweighted. The only thing I don't remember is if the relay rod/center link being tilted in the chassis when looking down on it. It is definitely more to the rear on the right side. Like I said not sure if that's the way the OEM set up looked or not, too many moons have passed since I pulled everything apart. Thanks to "Mr. Green" I was able to correctly align the pitman arm before putting some torque on it. Still don't have everything tightened down as I'm considering a anti bump steer kit for VB&P and would rather drill the steering knuckles in the vise vs on the car. I'm going to set the motor and trans back in the chassis tomorrow.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
peterbuchberg
Intermediate

I can see what you mean about the centerlink, exact same as my centerlink.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Has anyone else ran into an issue where the brake line distribution block is coming in contact with the Borgeson box? Thanks...
Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 68 Issues
Frankenvette,

Thanks,

Kelly
SW Florida

Yes, I'm installing Borgeson at the same time of complete front end rebuild. I've not driven the car or tested motion of steering yet but did not notice anything irregular as it relates to the problem you mention. Everything is lined up as it should and appears I have no clearance issues.

I'll try to take some pics if that helps you at all. Unlike the great pics in the post above, I installed with car fully assembled so engine is in place as is the rest of the car. I would have loved to have had all that room to work with car disassembled. Instead, my a$$ was laying on the garage floor looking up at everything for months.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hitch
Has anyone else ran into an issue where the brake line distribution block is coming in contact with the Borgeson box? Thanks...
Mine was real close but not quite in the way. I did have to remove one of the brake line clamps and push the brake line over just a bit.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
Unlike the great pics in the post above, I installed with car fully assembled so engine is in place as is the rest of the car. I would have loved to have had all that room to work with car disassembled. Instead, my a$$ was laying on the garage floor looking up at everything for months.
LMFAO, That just means you are way way closer to driving yours again than I am. And actually his car is for the SO so I won't be driving it much, I'll be relegated to the ZO6, damnit .
Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

I can see what you mean about the centerlink, exact same as my centerlink.
Thanks, guess it's supposed to be that way. I got the torque converter properly seated and the motor/trans coupled so they will go back in tomorrow. (edit) added these pics this evening.

For those doing and LSX swap here's the clearance I have on my installation using motor mount adapters.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 05-16-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: update & add pics, NSV removed
Old 03-15-2013, 03:38 AM
oz68VET
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of clearance, I am very keen to do this upgrade also but am concerned about clearance. I have asked this question in an old thread (on borgeson box clearance) but i'm not getting much response. Here is a pic of the clearance I have now with the standard manual box, it's only about 1/8" and the header of #3 is already slightly dinted. Does anyone know if I will be able to make the borgeson box fit?

Sorry if I'm jumping in on this thread. Just don't want to pay all that money for a steering box that I can't fit!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 AM
Mr.Green
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oz68VET
Speaking of clearance, I am very keen to do this upgrade also but am concerned about clearance. I have asked this question in an old thread (on borgeson box clearance) but i'm not getting much response. Here is a pic of the clearance I have now with the standard manual box, it's only about 1/8" and the header of #3 is already slightly dinted. Does anyone know if I will be able to make the borgeson box fit?

Sorry if I'm jumping in on this thread. Just don't want to pay all that money for a steering box that I can't fit!

I'm out of town until Tuesday, but when I get back I can take some measurements for how far the box sticks out/above the frame. That should give you a good idea of the clearance you'll need.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
68 Issues
Advanced

Oz68Vet,

I don't remember exactly, but I measured it a few weeks ago and believe that from the center line of the shaft going through the box to the edge of the box on the engine side the Borgeson is about 1/4 inch wider. The Borgeson is mostly longer than it is wider compared to the original. I bet if you call Blair at Borgeson (Won't be back in the office until Tuesday 19th..I tried to email him about a weeping hose last night) he can probably give you a more exact answer since it is rather difficult to measure in the car. But, if you are already at something like 1/8 inch it is going to be very close.

THe Borgeson fit in my 68 BB with headers. I don't know what type of headers Bubba used but I think they were off of a tractor. The one closest to the box had already been beat up which made it real easy on me.

I just got my car back from the alignment shop and it is as advertised....drives like a new car and well worth the cost and effort (front suspension rebuilt at same time)....especially if I can get the low pressure line to stop weeping at the box. As badly as the old system bleed you would think I would be happy with only a small weep!

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Install

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

People running with headers: How close is the rag joint to your headers? My rag joint is about 1/2" away from the #7 primary, I'm worried the heat will cause the rubber to deteriorate.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 AM
oz68VET
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the information 69 Issues. Mr. Green, that measurement would be very useful if you could get it!
qwank - my #7 pipe isn't that close but it was close enough to heat the rag joint to the point it would tear. You can see from the photo above that I have installed a poly joint and also a heat shield (you can only see the top right angled section of the shield, it actually extends about 4" down) to protect the joint. This has been 3yrs not and not an issue.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Steve C.
Instructor

People running with headers: How close is the rag joint to your headers? My rag joint is about 1/2" away from the #7 primary, I'm worried the heat will cause the rubber to deteriorate.
This probably won't help much since I'm running an LS1 and now Sanderson block hugger headers but just FYI for anyone doing or considering and LS & Borgeson conversion/s.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Steve C.; 03-16-2013 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add text

Quick Reply: Borgeson Install