C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proportioning valve 77

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Dave Witman
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default proportioning valve 77

77 vette with new calipers ,hoses new master cyl new proportioning valve. brakes work fine but when you press on pedal hard the brake light comes on. there are no leaks and no air in system. brakes have been bled several times. tried another master cylinder with no change. drove vette and then bled again no air in system. I blocked off all four calipers and pressed on pedal and I still get the light. I confermed with meter that it is the valve causing the light. So did I get a bad proportioning valve or am I missing something. dave
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Witman
no air in system.
Yes there is. Differential flow between the front and rear systems is the only thing that causes the light to illuminate.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:36 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

IDK if that valve/block in a '77 is the same as in earlier C3's, but my '71 has just a shuttle valve that is supposed to trip over to either front or back, depending on which end of the system has sprung a fluid leak.

Thus, if you are bleeding the brakes and depress the brake pedal too quickly, that block will interpret it as a fluid leak and the shuttle valve will trip. And when it does, only half of the braking system will be functional and the "BRAKE" light will be on.

The Chev. Chassis Service Manual shows how to 'lock' that shuttle valve in place when bleeding the brakes, then release it when done. Not sure how to re-center it when it has been tripped.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

Ok after exhausting all other options I installed another proportioning valve from a different vender and problem is solved. The first valve was no good. dave
Old 09-12-2013, 05:08 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First valve MAY have just needed to be reset.
If the shuttle valve is over to one side it can cause said issue.

reset procedure is something like open bleeders on the side that was good, and stomp on the brakes or sumthin.

See the repair manual for the actual procedure
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Dave Witman
Pro

The first valve reset fine and the brakes felt great. But when you got on the brakes a little hard the light would come on. I bled the system again with no change. All worked fine after second valve install. I am going to take the first valve apart and see if it was assembled wrong. dave

Get notified of new replies

To proportioning valve 77

Quick Reply: proportioning valve 77