C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a Starter on a 71, how to properly align?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Help with a Starter on a 71, how to properly align?

Hey all,
I had the starter off when I was doing some work two years back. Not knowing there were shims and a proper alignment to installing a starter, I just put it back together. Now when I start it, sometimes I'll get a grind and spin not catching the flywheel. Other times it catches like normal and starts the car.

Does anyone have an instruction on how to properly shim and set a starter? I looked through the chassis service manual and I cannot find a procedure. I can find how to take a starter apart, but not how to install one. Want to get this installed correctly so I limit any damage to whats already been done.

I've been getting a C5Z ready for track days all winter and my 71 took a back seat. Its nice now here in the northeast and my Z06 is ready for some track time, so I want to get the LT-1 ready for some summer events.

Thank you
Dan
Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

GO TO POWER MASTER .COM

THEY HAVE A GREAT VIDIO.

Make sure the gear slides on the shaft and the shaft is clean...
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dan,
Interestingly the St.Louis plant didn't use any shims when installing the starters on the engines while getting them ready to meet up with the chassis.
I'm not sure why that was, neither am I suggesting you shouldn't use any, but it seems the proper starter for the application (engine spec) didn't require any.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
GO TO POWER MASTER .COM

THEY HAVE A GREAT VIDIO.

Make sure the gear slides on the shaft and the shaft is clean...
I'll check it out, thank you.

I did replace the solenoid when I had the starter out. Basically one of the posts broke off when I was trying to remove the wires.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Dan,
Interestingly the St.Louis plant didn't use any shims when installing the starters on the engines while getting them ready to meet up with the chassis.
I'm not sure why that was, neither am I suggesting you shouldn't use any, but it seems the proper starter for the application (engine spec) didn't require any.
Regards,
Alan
Alan,
Thank you for your response. I thought I had kept track of the parts really well when I took my car apart. I didn't feel like I had any leftovers. But some time ago i had inquired about this and the response i got was to put the same number of shims it had back in and it should be fine. I'm pretty certain the starter had never been off. Car is low miles and the parts appeared to be originals.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:42 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Did you torque the starter bolts? Mine made noise but it turned out I just hadn't torqued the bolts enough. Once I did it worked perfectly.

Otherwise the procedure is to engage the bendix by using a screwdriver to pull it out, and then a paperclip should just be able to slide between the gears.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

In my experience with starters not aligning was usually a bent bolt. Take the bolts out and roll them on a flat surface. The slightest wobble with throw off your starter. Torquing them will help if there's a slight almost unnoticeable bend in them but they are cheap and most GM dealers still have them in stock.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:53 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you have the proper GM starter bolts with the knurl on them making them slightly oversize? I have never had a problem with starter alignment using the factory bolts and a housing in good condition. If the holes on your starter nose are ovalized from having the incorrect bolts on them....all bets are off!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you guys,
I'll get after it later today and report back.
Don't remember what I torque'd it to, or if I even did.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:52 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Agree with the above two posts. I've never seen shims from the factory, they may exist but are rare. definitely check for bent starter bolts. and make sure they are correct starter bolts, not just regular bolts. Starter bolts are knurled for stated reasons. Also make sure the housing isn't trashed and the holes aren't ovaled out. If above is all good, then you've got another issue. normally shims are used to move the pinion gear away from the flexplate, so if you think the gear is spinning and not engaging, it's more likely something with the starter. like spinning without kicking out (bad solenoid), etc.
Old 05-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Was able to pull it off and take some pics.

Bolts are the knurled bolts that were referenced. They are also straight, I rolled them on the bench and they don't wobble. Assembly Manual shows these two bolts at 25-30 ft-lbs, removing these I'd say they were around that. Broke loose with some effort, but didn't have to attack it.

Some teeth on the flywheel are chipped at the edge where the starter motor would engage. It doesn't look like any damage on the outside of the teeth. Makes me think the mesh is to close versus to far apart. I don't see how anything would adjust here.

I had replaced the solenoid when i first had it apart. I didn't do anything but just unbolt and replace.

Kinda scratching my head here, would appreciate your perspective and advice.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:06 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Bolt the starter on, push the bendix out until full engagement and measure.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

yes this. put starter on without solenoid. manually move the bendix in and out to see what's happening there. don't over torque the starter bolts and deform the nose...

can't see from your pic what the nose bushing looks like. lately, the rebuilds from parts stores have been really crappy. used to be able to get a good one for $20, now adays you may need to swap 2 or 3 before you get a good one.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:54 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by gungatim
yes this. put starter on without solenoid. manually move the bendix in and out to see what's happening there. don't over torque the starter bolts and deform the nose...

can't see from your pic what the nose bushing looks like. lately, the rebuilds from parts stores have been really crappy. used to be able to get a good one for $20, now adays you may need to swap 2 or 3 before you get a good one.
Thank you,
Was trying to think how I would see anything, I'll be able to move the bendix easily set up this way.

Also found my starter has a "remanufactured" sticker on it. So if it was replaced at one point, it may have needed some adjustment.

I won't be able to work on it until next weekend. I'll post up my progress then.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:55 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,129 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Thank you,
Was trying to think how I would see anything, I'll be able to move the bendix easily set up this way.

Also found my starter has a "remanufactured" sticker on it. So if it was replaced at one point, it may have needed some adjustment.

I won't be able to work on it until next weekend. I'll post up my progress then.

You will have to remove the inspection cover.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Trying something...

# one, nothing wrong with the starter

# two, only one starter is correct for both 71 and 72 Vette engines, BB or SB...

# 3, most important is that they do NOT use shims...moving the drive away from the teeth of the ring gear only makes the problem worse......

# 4 solution, You need a new $20.00 ring gear

Unfortunately to replace it requires removal of bunch of parts...A cold chisel knocks it off and heat by a torch on the new gear and just drop in on...A local auto parts company like ours was should be able to handle the job...it's a simple installation on the ring gear.....

Have fun, and a few

Last edited by Ironcross; 05-18-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Thx for the pix Dan as they really help. Well the correct thing to do is replace the ring gear but ya know ive made use of a lot worse than that. And i think u could touch it up with a file if concerned. Where your at know it dont cost a dime more to use what u have to see if it will function as is. If not then u know what to do.

Anyways for clearancing the starter Zwede already covered it for the teeth. But u need a pinion to flywheel/ring gear clearance to and its something like 0.050" (please look it up for yourself).

Well i do something a bit different to check the clearance as i leave the solenoid on and disconnect the short heavy wire/tang from the solenoid to the motor. That way i can connect my small batt charger to the solenoid batt stud (batt wire disconnected to). Then all i have to do is touch any small gauge wire as a jumper wire from the large solenoid stud to the "S" terminal stud on the solenoid. This will extend the bendix gear w/o turning the starter motor and u can chack your clearances/fit. U may want to use clips on the jumper wire as once disconnected the gear should retract (unless its stuck - oh yes that happens plenty to).

Whew thats enough for me. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Hello all,
Thought I would reward those that use the search function and add some closure to this thread. I picked up a new starter and starter bolts from Napa. I found that the new starter bolts were much tighter in the mounting holes than the old starter and bolts were. The old ones slipped through without catching and the new ones bit into the starter. This combo of new parts was inexpensive and it solved the problem. I have not had any grinds since the install and everything appears to be working fine.

One word of caution if you are doing this same job. I found that the inspection cover did not go straight back into place by the crankshaft. When I put the permatex on the rear part of the oil pan seal it squeezed some out into where the inspection cover goes. When putting the cover back into place, that squeezed out permatex pushed the cover forward and it knocked against where the flywheel meets the crankshaft. The fix was easy, I cut back the squeezed sealant and knocked the corners off the inspection cover with a grinder. The part that sucked was realizing it all had to be taken back apart to fix it. I was very defeated hearing the clunk clunk clunk and left the car sitting for a couple weeks before digging back into it.

Hope this helps someone!
Dan
The following users liked this post:
Duke94 (12-09-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Help with a Starter on a 71, how to properly align?

Quick Reply: Help with a Starter on a 71, how to properly align?