C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking point under diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
You judged me and my method by implying that if I could jack my rear end up and place on jack stands in two minutes that is is somehow unsafe. Two minutes is not fast for me and the stands are positioned correctly. How is that unsafe? As for jacking it up from midships, I've never had any issues whatsoever for the 20 years of doing it this way. Just because you disagree with my way of jacking up my car does not make it wrong. My jacked up car is every bit as safe as yours or I wouldn't get under it. So, let's leave it at that.
I THINK you need to read my replies and show me WHERE I wrote any part of it that STATED that your method was UNSAFE or WRONG.

YOU replied in a post dealing with the amount of TIME it takes you to support one. I simply replied I DO NOT worry about how long it takes me to jack one up and support it...ALL I am concerned with is that I get is safely supported...The TIME it takes to support one is NOT a factor.....and IF you take that as judging you...or 'implying' that your method is WRONG or UNSAFE....that is evidently how you process what you read.

OBVIOUSLY you did not read the last sentence in post #13....AND again the last sentence in post #19.

And how about what you wrote in post #16
Dub, I don't need to take all day to do it

SO...leave it at that...as you wrote in your last post. And who is judging who???

DUB
Old 06-07-2016, 10:32 AM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I am not judging how person chooses to jack up their Corvette...But I have SEEN the effects of jacking it up on one side and then doing the other side and it has EVERYTHING on the angle of the frame and where it is contacting the jack stand...and THEN when you raise the other side....how well the floor jack can roll so the frame does not slide or want to push the jack stand due to how the floor jack is moving during it being raised.
Yep, that's a big problem, and I suspect it often goes undetected by the user. I discovered this only recently, when instead of jacking it one side at a time for jackstands, I slid ramps under the front wheels. When I was raising the second side, the ramp I'd already installed came under extreme sideways stress. It started to tilt, and one side actually lifted off the ground entirely. This must happen with jackstands too, but it's more difficult to see because of their construction, plus the sideways stress is more concentrated in the middle of the triangle rather than over the wider surface of a ramp. Anyway, I no longer put an entire end of the car in the air by jacking it one side at a time. I find a centerpoint like the rear carrier or a crossmember and lift it evenly from the get go. Anything else appears inherently unsafe.

Quick Reply: Jacking point under diff?