C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking point under diff?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 01:07 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

Default Jacking point under diff?

Is this a terrible thing to do? It's a heck of a lot more convenient than using a jack on each side and going back and forth. I placed the jack under the cross member beneath the differential. It seemed to work fine. Just wondering if this is a no-no. Thanks

Of course I used jack stands after it was up.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

About the worst damage you could do would be dent the crossmember...

Willcox
Old 04-26-2016, 02:26 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

is the exhaust in the way that you cant jack it by the spring mounting plate?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:52 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

It's easier to jack it up NASCAR style. It will not damage anything if your frame is solid.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I come in from the rear....and not from the side (but that is just me)....and depending on the exhaust...I will catch the plate for the rear leaf spring.

Originally Posted by resdoggie
It's easier to jack it up NASCAR style. It will not damage anything if your frame is solid.
What is 'NASCAR' style????

DUB
Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Jack up the entire side of the car midships where the crossmember is and then place your jacks fore and aft under the frame. Do the same for the other side. This is assuming your using a floor jack on wheels.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If I jack up 4 corners I do it as you say Nascar style. If just the rear I go under the spring plate.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 AM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I come in from the rear....and not from the side (but that is just me)....and depending on the exhaust...I will catch the plate for the rear leaf spring.

DUB
I don't care who you are that is funny. (but maybe that is just my sense of humor)

Last edited by 80-Vette; 04-27-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:41 AM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

About the worst damage you could do would be dent the crossmember...
Doesn't seem to have hurt the cross member.

is the exhaust in the way that you cant jack it by the spring mounting plate?
Yes

That's what I do if I'm jacking up the whole car. This time I was just doing the back.

I tried that and there wasn't room. I don't remember if it was the exhaust or what..

I don't care who you are that is funny. (but maybe that is just my sense of humor)

Thanks -
Old 04-27-2016, 11:49 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
If I jack up 4 corners I do it as you say Nascar style. If just the rear I go under the spring plate.
Same here. Getting it completely up on jackstands doing it any other way is just unnecessarily nerve-racking.

Jack up drivers side, place jack stands. Jack up passenger side, place jack stands. Done.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:51 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

I say its still quicker to jack up from the side even if your only using rear or front jacks. Shouldn't take more than two minutes for both sides.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Four jack stands is good, but if you only need access to the rear you can get it up higher if you chock the front wheels and leave them on the ground.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 80-Vette

I usually try to 'catch' what I write and make sure it can not be interpreted 'differently'. I completely missed that one.....

Heck...I read it again and it made me laugh.

I say its still quicker to jack up from the side even if your only using rear or front jacks. Shouldn't take more than two minutes for both sides.
Well I did not know we were determining how FAST it could be done. When I am raising and safely supporting a customers Corvette...I honestly feel that they are not concerned on how fast I can do it...but rather.... how I do it.... protects their investment and also provides me with being able to get under a Corvette that is held up by safety jack stands.

Back to the post.

I have wood ramps that I can drive on that will raise the car 2 inches so I can slide my floor jack under it. Also..my floor jack has a very low saddle so I can get under a car very well....which makes a HUGE difference...and the saddle has teeth that are raised up more so they can catch on things to secure it when I am jacking.

I am not judging how person chooses to jack up their Corvette...But I have SEEN the effects of jacking it up on one side and then doing the other side and it has EVERYTHING on the angle of the frame and where it is contacting the jack stand...and THEN when you raise the other side....how well the floor jack can roll so the frame does not slide or want to push the jack stand due to how the floor jack is moving during it being raised.

I will stick with my method and those who do it differently....if you are happy with it and successful...I guess that is all that matters.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-27-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Reading this thread, made me thank God, I picked up one of these for our little private shop! I was so sick of jacking up the car and putting jack stands on it. It was one of the biggest PITA's, that I was glad to get rid of! Well worth the $1,500 I paid for it.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 PM
arklacat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'19

Default Jacking point under diff?

I bought a second floor jack so I didn't have to keep moving side to side. But I only use one of them now to raise and lower my kwik-lift.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Dub, I don't need to take all day to do it.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
NASCAR style is what my wife calls "reverse cowgirl", as she says that way we can both watch the race.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking point under diff?

Old 04-28-2016, 12:37 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
NASCAR style is what my wife calls "reverse cowgirl", as she says that way we can both watch the race.

Wow that's awesome.

Is your wife available?
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by F22
Reading this thread, made me thank God, I picked up one of these for our little private shop! I was so sick of jacking up the car and putting jack stands on it. It was one of the biggest PITA's, that I was glad to get rid of! Well worth the $1,500 I paid for it.

Nice lift....and it is a time saver ...that is for sure....unless you have not acquired them yet...I would get two of the safety stands that you can install under the car when it is up on the lift. And to prove my point...when you begin to get the wheels off the ground...WATCH the door gap at the front end by the windshield area ans see if it widens when the wheels lift off the ground.....this is allowing all the weight of the engine/radiator/suspension that is hanging out past where your supports for your lift are located on the frame and this 'hanging' of the front clip will begin to fatigue this area at the windshield cowl...and it will get a bit worse each and every time the car is lifted and allowed to hang. The severity of the gap widening is what it is. Yours may be good..but if you are aware of this and one day notice that it seems to get wider....then hopefully what I just wrote makes sense and that I am not just being overly paranoid. 'Just saying'.

Something like this in case you were wondering what I was referring to. Just an example.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQgoaQodcQsN_g

Dub, I don't need to take all day to do it.
TRUST ME...My method does NOT take all day. NOT even close...maybe 5 minutes to do all four wheels and jack stands if I had to guess. I do not time myself in how fast I can get it safely jacked up and supported. That is much like me trying to go super fast and beat the time given by an insurance company for 'set-up and measure' when setting up a car on a frame machine. I am MORE WORRIED that I have it correctly locked down so when I do pulls on it...it does what I want it to do. I guess it all depends on the person and how they choose to to do 'whatever' it is that they are doing.

Like I wrote...I AM NOT judging ANYBODY on how they do whatever it is they do. I do not have to warranty THEIR work.

I am just passing along my method so that there is an option. AND...just like you. I just feel my method seems to fit me better so I do not have to explain a problem to the customer in the side wall of a tire due to jacking it up from the side and having a problem,...or slipping off the stands...or causing the jack stands to tilt due to how the frame did not want to adjust on the jack stand correctly when being lifted from the other side.

You have your way that works for you...I have mine. I have no problem with that.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-28-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:02 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by DUB
Nice lift....and it is a time saver ...that is for sure....unless you have not acquired them yet...I would get two of the safety stands that you can install under the car when it is up on the lift. And to prove my point...when you begin to get the wheels off the ground...WATCH the door gap at the front end by the windshield area ans see if it widens when the wheels lift off the ground.....this is allowing all the weight of the engine/radiator/suspension that is hanging out past where your supports for your lift are located on the frame and this 'hanging' of the front clip will begin to fatigue this area at the windshield cowl...and it will get a bit worse each and every time the car is lifted and allowed to hang. The severity of the gap widening is what it is. Yours may be good..but if you are aware of this and one day notice that it seems to get wider....then hopefully what I just wrote makes sense and that I am not just being overly paranoid. 'Just saying'.

Something like this in case you were wondering what I was referring to. Just an example.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FQgoaQodcQsN_g

TRUST ME...My method does NOT take all day. NOT even close...maybe 5 minutes to do all four wheels and jack stands if I had to guess. I do not time myself in how fast I can get it safely jacked up and supported. That is much like me trying to go super fast and beat the time given by an insurance company for 'set-up and measure' when setting up a car on a frame machine. I am MORE WORRIED that I have it correctly locked down so when I do pulls on it...it does what I want it to do. I guess it all depends on the person and how they choose to to do 'whatever' it is that they are doing.

Like I wrote...I AM NOT judging ANYBODY on how they do whatever it is they do. I do not have to warranty THEIR work.

I am just passing along my method so that there is an option. AND...just like you. I just feel my method seems to fit me better so I do not have to explain a problem to the customer in the side wall of a tire due to jacking it up from the side and having a problem,...or slipping off the stands...or causing the jack stands to tilt due to how the frame did not want to adjust on the jack stand correctly when being lifted from the other side.

You have your way that works for you...I have mine. I have no problem with that.

DUB
You judged me and my method by implying that if I could jack my rear end up and place on jack stands in two minutes that is is somehow unsafe. Two minutes is not fast for me and the stands are positioned correctly. How is that unsafe? As for jacking it up from midships, I've never had any issues whatsoever for the 20 years of doing it this way. Just because you disagree with my way of jacking up my car does not make it wrong. My jacked up car is every bit as safe as yours or I wouldn't get under it. So, let's leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Jacking point under diff?