C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Filer SBC Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Didnt Darrin work with Edelbrock on some of their newer stuff or was that someone else?

Good to have guys like them, Mamo and others to really keep the Gen 1s alive.
Some of the offshore stuff is getting better but dont trust it yet. They CAN make good stuff but somehow the QC boxes get checked and too much junk makes it off the boat.

If only SB2.2 stuff was cheap. Member here has one with a HR cam runs on premium makes 720/640 at the crank NA and is more driveable than my lousy 383Somewhere between 13-15k carb to pan with the little stuff. Actually not bad too rich for my blood

Last edited by cv67; 02-28-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Didnt Darrin work with Edelbrock on some of their newer stuff or was that someone else?

Good to have guys like them, Mamo and others to really keep the Gen 1s alive.
Some of the offshore stuff is getting better but dont trust it yet. They CAN make good stuff but somehow the QC boxes get checked and too much junk makes it off the boat.

If only SB2.2 stuff was cheap. Member here has one with a HR cam runs on premium makes 720/640 at the crank NA and is more driveable than my lousy 383Somewhere between 13-15k carb to pan with the little stuff. Actually not bad too rich for my blood
You do know there are two very different companies that name sounds the same.

pro-filer The made in America heads that Jeff Lutz uses on his drag week competition engines.

profiler - all the bad rumors you have heard
Old 02-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

With the right combo their (Pro Filer)BBC Sniper single plane manifold can give you 25 hp over other manifolds. I imagine (hopefully) they will start making for a small block. As mentioned before they are one of very few made in USA. Mark
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Pro Filer is still one of the great sets of cylinder heads for a Chevy build. I would buy them over AFR any day but, I would buy them "bare" and install my preferred hardware into them.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:50 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
You do know there are two very different companies that name sounds the same.

pro-filer The made in America heads that Jeff Lutz uses on his drag week competition engines.

procomp - all the bad rumors you have heard

Fixed
Old 03-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Corto
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Pro Filer is still one of the great sets of cylinder heads for a Chevy build. I would buy them over AFR any day but, I would buy them "bare" and install my preferred hardware into them.

Maybe, if you succeed to get them!!!!!

I have placed an order for a set of their heads end of Jan via Summit (much lower shipment cost than purchasing directly).
At that time availability was second half of Feb. After 2-3 weeks I received an email from Summit that availability date will be Feb 26th.
Last week I was expecting that they will be shipped, but no, they were not there.
And now the latest info is 1st week of April, and even that is not confirmed.

Initially I wanted to buy them via Jegs (Jegs brended) but Jegs discontinued these Jegs branded Pro-filer heads few months ago.

Also I have asked some technical info via their web site and have received no answer, and it seems I am not the only one...

This all is showing me that there is something going on with them and it makes me concerned if and when I will get the purchased heads. I don't want to slip my project in the sommer.
I am considering now to cancel my order at Summit and look for some other heads.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:48 PM
76strokervette
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts

If you want tech information on the Pro-Filer sbc head give Chad Speier
a call. He will answer all your questions and may have a set in stock.
Chad is getting 375 plus cfm out of his largest version V factor head.
Unfortunately getting heads from the factory can take some time which is the biggest complaint I have heard. I was lucky and got mine right away.
Good luck,
Dave
Old 03-06-2018, 10:05 AM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 400 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Corto
Maybe, if you succeed to get them!!!!!

I have placed an order for a set of their heads end of Jan via Summit (much lower shipment cost than purchasing directly).
At that time availability was second half of Feb. After 2-3 weeks I received an email from Summit that availability date will be Feb 26th.
Last week I was expecting that they will be shipped, but no, they were not there.
And now the latest info is 1st week of April, and even that is not confirmed.

Initially I wanted to buy them via Jegs (Jegs brended) but Jegs discontinued these Jegs branded Pro-filer heads few months ago.

Also I have asked some technical info via their web site and have received no answer, and it seems I am not the only one...

This all is showing me that there is something going on with them and it makes me concerned if and when I will get the purchased heads. I don't want to slip my project in the sommer.
I am considering now to cancel my order at Summit and look for some other heads.
I just went through this delay on an engine I am building for a customer.... Pump gas 434 SBC....

FYI - Pro-Filer had temporarily stopped production of the 23* SBC heads while they made some engineering changes to the core boxes used for casting. Just changes to stuff that makes them easier to manufacture.

They have completed those engineering changes to the core boxes and are back to casting the heads again. My cyl head guy (Chad Speier @ Speier Racing Heads) got a pallet of 100 castings from Pro-Filer a few weeks ago. It put him way behind as well....

We almost went somewhere else for cyl heads on this current engine and we had a couple of other options but in the end he decided to to just wait it out since I have had such stellar results with the Pro-Filer based castings that Chat @ SRH. I have built a couple 700+HP 430+ inch SBC engines using them.

The Pro-Filer heads are very good and worth the wait. I understand you want stuff ASAP but if you can deal with the delay, you will get an excellent product from Pro-Filer.

If you want to see what these heads are capable of in the right hands....

2 weeks ago I just finished the refresh/update of my personal 436 SBC with SRH Profiler heads and it made 785HP.... That really sealed the deal for my customer to wait it out for Pro-Filer.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...no-friday.html

Will
Old 03-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,425 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I had the same problem with them three years ago. THis is just the reality of a small American company building high quality heads, too many people want them, and they cannot keep up with the demand. I gave up waiting and bought AFR heads, which cost quite a bit more, and from what I have heard are only marginally better than the Profilers. I would have bought Profilers if they would have been available when I needed them.

Moral of the story,.....order them way in advance of when you need them.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Dropped off my heads and valves at the machine shop just to get the guides opened up a bit. My measurements showed them pretty tight. They called me back in less then 24 hours to tell me they were done. When I got there to pick up, the lady/owner up front said their head guy wanted to talk to me. Met with him and learned the intakes needed nothing and were at .0014 to .0016 but he opened up the exhaust some to .0018 to .0019. He told me when he saw the write up sheet and "Pro" he automatically thought procomp, generic China heads. He wasn't familiar with Pro-Filer. After inspecting them and finding the guides surprisingly straight with nearly no taper, he was very impressed and looked up the heads himself. He told me with big eyes that they deal Brodix, AFR, Dart, etc. and he rarely sees guides this nice and alwas has to work them more. I gave him some of the background and info I knew of Pro-Filer and he seemed pretty interested.

We also discussed the other components of the valvetrain that I was going to be using for assembling the heads and my build details. He gave me a compliment and said I really did a good job with the combination and cam / valvetrain match. Mentioned a lot of guys dropping of some off the wall garbage compilations when trying to do themselves. Was good to hear as this is the first time I've done a bare head assembly. Told him I'm a perfectionist and if I'm not sure of something I'll research the hell out of it until I know it's right.

Anyway just thought I'd share the positive Pro-Filer review. (Although there is plenty on the Web if you are not familiar. Also Chad Speier who I mentioned to the shop guy to check out)
Ibanez, I've got two questions for you, both related to the exhaust ports:

1. Do you have any pic looking into your exhaust ports? (I was just a little bit shocked at how far down the guides stick out in my Jegs Profiler 195cc heads)
2. Have you figured out a header that will fit properly with the raised exhaust ports of the Profiler heads I don't understand why they didn't also raise the bolt holes for the headers so they'd center on the port?

-This seems to be the #1 concern; I bought the Profiler heads partly because of their awesome torque #'s, so I want to use a 1 5/8" header primary diameter with them, I had a custom cam speced with only 2 degrees extra on the exhaust lobes, but if the top of the exhaust port is blocked by the header then it messes up the great exhaust flow #'s and then the cam is no longer correctly specced... I can elongate the bolt holes to make it fit better but then I'm going to get rusting out of mild steel, coated headers. (Just wondering if any header MFGRs have adjusted bolt hole locations for the Profiler exhaust ports.)

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-06-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:54 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have AFR's and air flow research does offer a lifetime warranty on their castings.................I went with them since they are CNC'd and do offer slightly better peak flow and more importantly according to my builder, better flow at low lift than just about any head out there....probably doesn't matter but what he shared and he knows a lot more than most people based on his experience/knowledge exclusively with big HP GM builds than I read or talk to.

Last edited by jb78L-82; 03-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
I have AFR's and air flow research does offer a lifetime warranty on their castings.................I went with them since they are CNC'd and do offer slightly better peak flow and more importantly according to my builder, better flow at low lift than just about any head out there....probably doesn't matter but what he shared and he knows a lot more than most people based on his experience/knowledge exclusively with big HP GM builds than I read or talk to.
On low lift flow:
http://www.airflowresearch.com/195cc...cylinder-head/
https://www.profilerperformance.com/...ree-heads.html

195cc is the apples-to-apples comparison between the two brands:

AFR
.200 .300 .400 .500
Int 146 201 247 275
Exh 119 166 197 213

Profiler
.200 .300 .400 .500
Int 145 209 254 273
Exh 110 145 180 206

The AFR bests the Profilers at 0.200" by 1 CFM , @ 0.300" the Profiler is ahead by 8 CFM, & and 0.400" the Profiler is ahead by 7 CFM.

If you're interested in low-lift #s; the Profilers have better low lift #'s. With a modern fastish ramp cam you shouldn't focus too much on LOW LIFT though as you're not spending hardly any time there.

The hardware on the AFRs ARE top notch and they seem to be probably the only head you can be pretty safe just bolting on as they seem to always be on spec everywhere. That's definitely worth something. For the same money you can get Chad Speier Racing Econoport Profiler heads with top-notch parts and quality and even slightly better flow per CSA on a few of his heads, but you're at the same price point.

Unfortunately I tried to go super cheap with a Jegs Christmas Special version of the Profiler heads ($998 taxes and shipping to my door); other than the spark plug holes needing cleaned up and the flimsy rocker studs, I would've been fine had I gone with a typical off-the-shelf cam, but I went with a really aggressive Mike Jone roller cam and then had to replace springs, retainers, locks, & locators and I'm honestly now at about AFR money spent after spending a lot of personal time and grief on them...

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-06-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:35 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
Ibanez, I've got two questions for you, both related to the exhaust ports:

1. Do you have any pic looking into your exhaust ports? (I was just a little bit shocked at how far down the guides stick out in my Jegs Profiler 195cc heads)
2. Have you figured out a header that will fit properly with the raised exhaust ports of the Profiler heads I don't understand why they didn't also raise the bolt holes for the headers so they'd center on the port?

Adam
Here is what mine look like after a mild porting:
Name:  DSCN01131.JPG
Views: 3869
Size:  731.6 KB

I suspect raising bolt holes on the head would open up a much bigger can of worms than just slotting the headers to fit better. If different manufacturers decided to arbitrarily raise the bolt holes in their heads, you wouldn't have any 'standard' and nothing would fit anymore.
Keeping with the factory bolt locations gives you a consistent point of reference. Just my opinion.

Personally, I would like the darn bolts to be spaced further apart from the ports so you can use normal hardware and tools to get them on and off but I know that will never happen either.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezobens
Here is what mine look like after a mild porting:
Attachment 48261411

I suspect raising bolt holes on the head would open up a much bigger can of worms than just slotting the headers to fit better. If different manufacturers decided to arbitrarily raise the bolt holes in their heads, you wouldn't have any 'standard' and nothing would fit anymore.
Keeping with the factory bolt locations gives you a consistent point of reference. Just my opinion.

Personally, I would like the darn bolts to be spaced further apart from the ports so you can use normal hardware and tools to get them on and off but I know that will never happen either.
What did you use to narrow the bottom of the guides like that? (Look great, by-the-way) Just a carbide? -I assume you did that AFTER they were installed in the heads?

Here's my super blurry photo of mine:

Blurry photo, untouched guide

I just used a 120 grit sandpaper wheel to smooth them out a bit; I'm guessing a 0 CFM flow increase but maybe a bit of heat reflection / rejection and at super high pressure / velocities maybe a tiny velocity increase. For 30 minutes a head using tools I have on hand, I'm not going to NOT do it.

Adam

Last edited by NewbVetteGuy; 03-06-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
What did you use to narrow the bottom of the guides like that? (Look great, by-the-way) Just a carbide? -I assume you did that AFTER they were installed in the heads?

Adam
I'd have to ask my builder but I suspect they were in place when he worked on them with his grinder.
Minimal porting really woke these heads up (not that there is anything wrong with them out of the box).
Old 03-06-2018, 03:39 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I have the AFR 180's and the intake flow at various lifts is slightly better for the Pro-filer 185's @ .3/.4/.5 lifts but slightly less at .200 and the AFR 180's exhaust flow is better versus the Pro-filer 185's on the exhaust flow...not exactly apples to apples since AFR 180's versus the Pro-Filer 185's.................
Old 07-30-2018, 05:06 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ezobens
I'd have to ask my builder but I suspect they were in place when he worked on them with his grinder.
Minimal porting really woke these heads up (not that there is anything wrong with them out of the box).

Ezobens, not sure whether your heads are on your motor or not yet, but if they're not and you wouldn't mind, can you measure, at the longest point (front of the valve guide) how much your valve guides stick down from the roof of the exhaust port. (Just curious.) I'm guessing that Profiler installed 2" length guides; Jegs installed 2.2" guides. I'm almost certain that from your pics mine are .2" longer. I bought a tool to cut mine down shorter and I'm just going to do it. I just don't like them the way they are and it bothers me.

Adam

Get notified of new replies

To Pro-Filer SBC Heads

Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 AM
Corto
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with Pro-Filer heads :-(

I bought Pro-Filer heads (195/72) via Summit. Two weeks ago, during the first start of the engine, after few minutes during warm-up there was a strange noise. The engine was immediately turned off and after checking we have seen that one of the intake valve was stuck in open position. After dismounting the head we have seen that there was no clearance between the valve stem and the guide. Also some other valves have almost no clearance. My machine shop is proposing to check all guides on both heads to be sure that they are ok.
I bought these heads mostly based on positive comments here in this forum, but it seems it is not as expected. Here are the photos of the stuck valve. This photo was taken half an hour later after we knocked few times on the valve and it slightly came up.

I talked to Summit and they told me that Pro-filer provides no warranty!!?? Here in Europe we are used to have two years waranty on any equipment, so this was a big surprise for me...
Summit finally offered me some discount on the new parts I need to replace, including shipment, and some cash. But in total it will not be even sufficient just to buy what needs to be replaced (intake manifold gasket, both head gaskets, one intake valve and guide,..). So all import taxes, additional machine shop work,... I have to cover myself :-((

Here is also another photo of the guide hole, showing poor quality of the finish work ....

Obviously, you can not trust that the work has been done properly, and even when the heads come assembled you have to check EVERYTHING before you put them on the engine.

Last edited by Corto; 03-12-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:01 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,897 Likes on 2,566 Posts

This is why I never buy an assembled head from anybody and if it is assembled, I disassemble them and check everything.....
I know this does not help you but anyone else reading this please take note....and I am not the only one that feels this way either....
Good luck on your repair and that stinks.

Jebby
Old 03-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Man that sucks! I have Profilers and no issues. I may even have been one to recommend them. I did not disassemble mine but I see recommendations to do that all the time now. Did you contact profiler?

Tom

Quick Reply: Pro-Filer SBC Heads