C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb fender flare question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 PM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Newb fender flare question

I have a '73 bbc coupe that is not numbers matching. It was originally a sbc car, but was converted pretty completely some time ago by previous owner. It also has a front bumper delete modification. I am in the middle of frame off resto on it and the past owner clearanced the rear fenders for tire clearance. So I need to either replace both rear quarter panels to bring them back to stock or install fender flares.

The question is on a car such as this, will nicely done flares significantly reduce the resale value of this car or is it worth it to completely redo the rear quarters?

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Well done flares are unlikely to reduce the value of a modified car, imo. Lots of people like flares!
The following users liked this post:
73racevette (05-10-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 06:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 73,
I'd think just what the appearance of the "clearanced" wheel openings is might affect how people feel about the car.
Is the lip still there?
Picture?
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-11-2016 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:18 AM
73racevette
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 73,
I'd think just what the appearance of the "clearanced" wheel openings is might affect how people feel about the car.
Is the lip still there?
Picture?
Regards,
Alan

The intent would not be to leave it as is. I am looking to either fix it with new quarter panels or molding in a small flare. Here is how it sat before I started. Not a great shot, but you can see the lip on the top of the rear fender is gone.
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 73,
If you plan to run rear tires/wheels that won't extend beyond the stock fender then a lip repair would be in order, BUT, if you plan to use something wider, then a flare seems to be right.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM
73racevette
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 73,
If you plan to run rear tires/wheels that won't extend beyond the stock fender then a lip repair would be in order, BUT, if you plan to use something wider, then a flare seems to be right.
Regards,
Alan

Thanks, but please refer to the original question. It is about the potential effects of flares on the overall value of the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:13 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

A flare is totally up to you and what you're doing with the car.

Like Alan points out, if you don't have 12" rims in your future (freaking things are $1k a pop...THEN you get the tire...crazy), then you should stay with stock fenders and just fix what's there.

I've added "the flare job" to my Corvette bucket list and just to speak the words ends up being about a $7k expenditure even if I do all the work myself. And that doesn't include anything for paint. $1,000 for the flares themselves, $400 for materials, $4,000 for rims, $1600 for tires. Those prices are give-and-take, but it's pretty close to the mark.

You could replace the fender lips with some TLC and donor fender lips for $500, probably.

Only you can answer the question of budget and direction.

But to answer your original question: No, I don't believe adding proper flares with associated rims will hurt the value of an already modified Corvette.
73racevette (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:17 AM
73racevette
Pro

Originally Posted by keithinspace
A flare is totally up to you and what you're doing with the car.

Like Alan points out, if you don't have 12" rims in your future (freaking things are $1k a pop...THEN you get the tire...crazy), then you should stay with stock fenders and just fix what's there.

I've added "the flare job" to my Corvette bucket list and just to speak the words ends up being about a $7k expenditure even if I do all the work myself. And that doesn't include anything for paint. $1,000 for the flares themselves, $400 for materials, $4,000 for rims, $1600 for tires. Those prices are give-and-take, but it's pretty close to the mark.

You could replace the fender lips with some TLC and donor fender lips for $500, probably.

Only you can answer the question of budget and direction.

But to answer your original question: No, I don't believe adding proper flares with associated rims will hurt the value of an already modified Corvette.

Had not thought of donor fender lips. That is a good option. Now where to find...

As far as the other costs, this is a total frame off, so the tires, wheels, etc are already in the budget unfortunately or fortunately I guess.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont let what some mystery buyer want hold you back from making your car yours
The #s guys wont look at yours they will go after stockers, plenty of buyers out there looking for a modded vette with that roadie look dont worry about it. In thier eyes, if its done they are money ahead by letting you do the work. Have fun with it
73racevette (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by keithinspace
Like Alan points out, if you don't have 12" rims in your future (freaking things are $1k a pop...
Unless you are into vintage wheels(I am!) aluminum slots look great on old 'Vettes(period correct as well), and are still reasonably priced.

Get notified of new replies

To Newb fender flare question

Quick Reply: Newb fender flare question