C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI Fuel line.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:24 PM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default EFI Fuel line.

I am getting ready to install a Fitech EFI and have a phantom 200 fuel pump to put in my tank, I would use the stock fuel line as return and put a new 3/8 fuel line but now the question is what fuel line should I use ?
Should I use solid aluminum or stainless steel hard line front to back or use Ptfe stainless braided line ?

Also can people who have done this tell me what the best route would be to add the line ?

The car is a '75 with the body still on.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I have had the stock as a stove steel OEM fuel lines being used for some 21 years now, on my '72 which I bought in '95.....I just put the pump on the back frame rail with a hose cut open for a buffer, and a hose clamp, and so put GOOD clamps on GOOD HOSE at all ends, and used the stock return line also....the DPFI pressures run ~42 lbs or so and the pressure can be reduced to 35 psi which is way tooooo low....so that means the return is not restrictive.....

NOW that has nothing to do with fuel slosh problems uncovering the fuel pickup and engine stumble/die in hard cornering....another topic....

Old 09-17-2016, 08:25 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

You should not use aluminum line as it will eventually crack.

I used steel 3/8" brake lines. Easy to bend without kinking and came double flared at both ends in 5 foot sections. Used 3 sections, cut the ends, flared, and used FI rated hose w/ FI clamps. Has worked fine for many years. I used the stock line as feed and ran a new line for return on the driver's side.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:53 PM
danc24
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the same thing this past winter with the body on. I used 3/8" cunifer bought from http://www.fedhillusa.com/. It's a copper nickel alloy that bends easily. I ran a single line from the fuel tank to the front and didn't even need need to use tubing benders.

Last edited by danc24; 09-18-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
I have had the stock as a stove steel OEM fuel lines being used for some 21 years now, on my '72 which I bought in '95.....I just put the pump on the back frame rail with a hose cut open for a buffer, and a hose clamp, and so put GOOD clamps on GOOD HOSE at all ends, and used the stock return line also....the DPFI pressures run ~42 lbs or so and the pressure can be reduced to 35 psi which is way tooooo low....so that means the return is not restrictive.....

NOW that has nothing to do with fuel slosh problems uncovering the fuel pickup and engine stumble/die in hard cornering....another topic....

Not sure if it makes much difference on the line size, but the FiTech runs higher at 58 psi.

All of my line are being increased to run E85, so I have no help. (And body is off chassis so they will be replaced with full length pre-bents.)
Old 09-18-2016, 11:16 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I second using the copper nickel alloy line.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:10 AM
stingraymax
Racer

OK thanks for the input, looks like I'll order some Conifer lines and route the from the from to the end.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:14 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I second using the copper nickel alloy line.
Originally Posted by stingraymax
OK thanks for the input, looks like I'll order some Conifer lines and route the from the from to the end.
I think that's a good decision. Conifer tubing doesn't corrode or crack and it's easier to flair than stainless steel tubing.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:52 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I think that's a good decision. Conifer tubing doesn't corrode or crack and it's easier to flair than stainless steel tubing.
FYI, conifer tubing is not silver like aluminum or steel. It has a copper tint to it (like you might expect). Here's a picture of conifer tubing for my FAST EX EFI system:

Old 09-20-2016, 03:04 PM
stingraymax
Racer

Well ordered some Conifer line and Teflon stainless braided line for the flexible connections.

Now what inline fuel filter do you all use ?
Old 09-20-2016, 07:49 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by stingraymax
Well ordered some Conifer line and Teflon stainless braided line for the flexible connections.

Now what inline fuel filter do you all use ?
Summit Racing® Inline Billet Fuel Filter
Old 09-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvette999
I used Ptfe stainless braided line since the body was still on my 76. You can see it along the frame rail in the background....sorry I don't have better pics of the routing but it goes up at the kickup and along the frame the entire route till it exits behind diff cross member...it has a protective routing all the way. Do stay away from braided rubber line at all costs....weeps smell into garage. Hard line might be fugly to attempt on a frame on install.
jim
I'm running PTFE braided line as well, so far so good.Note for those that go down this path, that PTFE lines use different fittings than standard lines.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:05 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
FYI, conifer tubing is not silver like aluminum or steel. It has a copper tint to it (like you might expect). Here's a picture of conifer tubing for my FAST EX EFI system:

That's a good looking install. Personally, I like solid line as much as possible with braided only used to go between the frame and engine and gas tank and frame.
The following users liked this post:
MN80Vette (09-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To EFI Fuel line.

Quick Reply: EFI Fuel line.