C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 corvette wavy bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Wonder if I'm the only one who actually likes the normal waviness in the aero bumpers? I distinctly remember as a kid that they came from the factory with some natural waves, adding to their charm. When I had the local Chev dealer paint my car two years ago I told their body and paint guys to leave it alone. I always wanted a C3 from that era in order to turn back the clock and enjoy what I dreamed about buying one day as it really was in the showroom. Save the wave!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:50 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

There's no legitimate repair that's easier, cheaper or more reliable than just replacing the bumpers. And replacing with original rubber will always run the risk of those getting wavy, too. I couldn't stand them on my cars.

Fiberglass is likely the best bet. Personally, I'd stay away from glassing them into the body and trying to remove the seam, because it's very likely it will show up in the future at some point. I think I'd be looking for that shadow every time I walked around the car. Could reduce future buyers, too.

Fitting glass bumpers on can be time consuming, but will be worth it if you plan to keep the car for awhile.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

My helpers from work are painting my car, they got it in primer this past weekend. Both front and rear bumpers had been replaced with fiberglass in the past. Both have been damaged since as well. They asked if I wanted to replace them; we decided there would probably be more labor fitting the new ones than just repairing them. I considered molding them in for a clean look, since I removed all the emblems, side markers, etc. I figured I'll probably bang them up sooner or later, and it will be easier to replace them if not molded in!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:46 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I look at it like this. My 80 is 36 years old, and I've owned it for 20 years, all with the original front and rear bumpers....waves, chips spider cracks, etc.

If I get another 36 years out of the new fiberglass bumpers I call it a pretty good investment. Plus without the seams, there is nowhere for the wax to get stuck if I ever get around to waxing it.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default The Only One

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Wonder if I'm the only one who actually likes the normal waviness in the aero bumpers? I distinctly remember as a kid that they came from the factory with some natural waves, adding to their charm. When I had the local Chev dealer paint my car two years ago I told their body and paint guys to leave it alone. I always wanted a C3 from that era in order to turn back the clock and enjoy what I dreamed about buying one day as it really was in the showroom. Save the wave!
Really? Besides people who don't seem to "see" the waves, you actually like them? Wow. Okay. Everyone has different ideas of cool. Maybe they should have put waves in the entire body of the car, and you would have bought that car!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
Plus without the seams, there is nowhere for the wax to get stuck if I ever get around to waxing it.
Damn great minds think like! That is half the reason I shaved everthing on my car but the door handles!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

A fair question, but yeah. When they first came out just about every teenage boy in our neighborhood drooled over them. Chrome bumpers were abruptly very yesterday (at that point in time) when parked near an aero bumper car with color-matching bumpers - and, the waves, all obvious but glistening in the sun gave the car a modern character - and, it was the latest Corvette. So, it had to be cool like all the Corvettes before it. I remember the first time I pushed on one (it briefly left a mark, the eurethane covers were surprisingly soft to the touch when new, hence the waves) and I clearly remember thinking it was very modern for the time and Corvette cool. I wasn't critical of it, just drooling for a chance to drive one some day. As early teens, we didn't care about or understand 5 MPH impact regulations, impact deflection rates and durometer plastic hardness scales that the GM bumper engineers fretted over - they just looked really modern. I'm sure those are typical early teen memories for millions of us us late baby boomers who are now able to buy them since the kids are now graduating from school, allowing us to relive our youths. Yep. To answer your question that's why I like the characteristic waves - they were designed that way and sold in record numbers despite that little issue. And, remember, most other sports car manufacturers just bolted on those absurd, after-thought and ram rod looking "bumperette" systems (think Triumph, Fiat, Datsun, Mercedes, et al.) to meet the voted/approved laws of our land. The C3 was hailed as having by far, the best looking, most integrated 5MPH bumper integration of any other car on the American road at the time and I think the waves were a very minor trade-off. The fiberglass replacements, although maybe an esthetic upgrade, not only lose the factory designed character, but as previously posted on this string they are very easily prone to damage from people who back into you in the parking lot since they don't deflect at all. I enjoyed your spar and respect your opinion, but I think the wave in the aero bumpers are as much of the excellent design heritage of the `73-`82 C3's as the chrome bumpers are to the `68-`73's.

p.s. sorry about contaminating this special forum with a Datsun photo, but a photo is worth a thousand words. Nuff said.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lakeside49; 09-27-2016 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Chrome bumper urethane bumper,people have their prefrences,but the fact remains of all the cars built in 1974 when the government mandated new bumper standards the Corvette was the only car built that at least some people thought looked as good or better. Look at the 74 torino the bumpers looked like guard rails. I believe the emissions requirements and unleaded fuel and lower performance engines were the reason people really disliked the later cars. Had they run like the 1970 models the later cars would have been embraced much more.

Quick Reply: 80 corvette wavy bumpers