C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 PM
7ron9
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power window speed

The drivers power window opens and closes very fast. Is this a regulator problem? Both motors have recently been replaced. The passenger side raises and lowers perfectly. What do I trouble shoot?

Thank you

7ron9
Old 09-27-2016, 04:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

When new, those windows DID roll up and down FAST. But, years of roller wear/tear, lack of lubrication and corroding/burning of switch contacts take its toll by adding electrical and mechanical resistance to the window movement.

I suspect that the switch contacts for the 'slow' window might need to be cleaned up for it to work the same as the other. But, if they both work 'acceptably', you might just "leave well-enough alone". Just digging into these old cars can cause damage/breakage; and you don't need to ADD to the problem list.
The following users liked this post:
7ron9 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 AM
76yellow
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Window Speed

Originally Posted by 7ron9
The drivers power window opens and closes very fast. Is this a regulator problem? Both motors have recently been replaced. The passenger side raises and lowers perfectly. What do I trouble shoot?

Thank you

7ron9
I have an 80 that does the same thing...It slams up & slams down !I put in a brand new regulator with the same result !
7ron9 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:15 AM
7ron9
Intermediate

Default Power window speed

Originally Posted by 76yellow
I have an 80 that does the same thing...It slams up & slams down !I put in a brand new regulator with the same result !
Thank you. That was what I was thinking about doing. I have new switches and motors both sides. I might try cleaning the old regulator.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:21 AM
7ron9
Intermediate

Default Speedy windows

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
When new, those windows DID roll up and down FAST. But, years of roller wear/tear, lack of lubrication and corroding/burning of switch contacts take its toll by adding electrical and mechanical resistance to the window movement.

I suspect that the switch contacts for the 'slow' window might need to be cleaned up for it to work the same as the other. But, if they both work 'acceptably', you might just "leave well-enough alone". Just digging into these old cars can cause damage/breakage; and you don't need to ADD to the problem list.
Thank you. My switches and motors are new. Guess I forgot how fast they really were. I wish my emissions 350 developed that much torque. Ha-ha
Old 09-28-2016, 10:53 AM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Fast both up and down? A broken regulator spring will cause the window to go down very quickly but it will raise more slowly.
7ron9 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 11:58 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike
Fast both up and down? A broken regulator spring will cause the window to go down very quickly but it will raise more slowly.
That was my first thought too... (damaged spring, or the spring fell off). Normally when they zip downward in record speed that is the culprit. A slow glass is usually poor contact in the switches, poor lubrication or bad rollers.

I might add to this a bit too.. when possible rebuild your old switch! That imported switch is cause of many a trouble. The current production seems to be working way better than the older reproduction but rebuilding the old switch is simple, easy to do and it saves you money.

-Willcox

Here is a pretty short video that will give you the basics on how to tear apart and fix most power window switches.

7ron9 (09-30-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

That's just how they work; they're just fast opening and closing windows. You can go to YouTube and look at the original GM commercials for the C3 Corvettes and you'll see the same, shockingly fast window speed.

-Maybe they were trying to make you THINK these cars were faster than they actually were.

Adam

Adam
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The window springs in my car are similar size to junkyard springs off some hoods...pickup trucks as I recall, and so I just cut/torch bent the end of spring tabs outside to dublicate the OEM springs....that and take out the silly tracks and remove all that dried out white lube the factory used....soak in gasoline over night.....and put them together DRY, with maybe a shot of WD if it makes you feel better......

them windows MOVE......

and yes, the switches in the console do develop some voltage drop due to bad contacts inside, you can see it as the insulation plate the plug goes into is turning brown/worse from heat....need shine up the contacts and get some contact cleaner on there.....

7ron9 (09-30-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Power window speed

Quick Reply: Power window speed