C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Mount - Fiberglass Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
Pics for comparison

Large washers were placed on the inside of the car (a '78) for the rivits to grab.
Thanks for posting it for others...and YES...I have seen many that look just like what you posted in photos.

DUB
Old 12-21-2016, 06:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by rvzio
Hard to see the rivets and yes difficult to do but it can be done. For me I ma just trying to keep things as close to original as I can during these modern times. Just another way! They look like pop rivets but they are not.
RVZIO

YEP...I KNOW all about the 'fun' you had getting them back in and bucked. LOOKS VERY GOOD Roger!!!

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SB64 (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Jim,
While I saw a small assortment of rivet 'heads' used on my car, I think I saw only 2 different 'set' sides.
The most typical, and seemingly used everywhere, was the simple 'mushroom' set.
However, on the support strap for the spare tire tub, the rivets, while having the typical large flat head, have a very precise and consistent shape to the 'set' side.
????
Regards,
Alan

I'm curious about these?

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-21-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

I would bet that the rivets on the spare tire carrier were smashed by a machine. So it would make it a one-man job.

At Fruehauf we had some awesome pneumatic and hydraulic rivet setting tools that a person could use to smash the rivets on specif areas of the trailer. And thus...the 'bucking bar' portion of the tool was made a specific way for how ever the engineers wanted the rivet to be smashed. Some rivets were smashed flat...some and a domed look to them like what GM kinda has in some areas.

DUB
Old 12-21-2016, 09:29 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

For the SMC vs not SMC. My car is a '78 SA.

I am going to use bolts. I don't care so much about what the factory did. Everything else is modified on the car; I intend to autocross.

I'm just trying to get the reproduction reinforcement bracket to fit nicely and line up with the old rivet holes, which it does not.

I was going to use 3/16 bolts because that's what fits. Will that be strong enough? Or should I drill them out and use 1/4"?
Old 12-22-2016, 08:32 AM
blade072
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
For the SMC vs not SMC. My car is a '78 SA.

I am going to use bolts. I don't care so much about what the factory did. Everything else is modified on the car; I intend to autocross.

I'm just trying to get the reproduction reinforcement bracket to fit nicely and line up with the old rivet holes, which it does not.

I was going to use 3/16 bolts because that's what fits. Will that be strong enough? Or should I drill them out and use 1/4"?
Another idea that might help would be to put a urethane adhesive between the reinforcement and the fiberglass underbody. That would make all the surfaces to nest together plus a good adhesion. Then you can rivet or bolt. Make sure you install large washers on the inside of the underbody. I would think that 3/16 would be fine, but for peace of mind, go to 1/4.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:39 AM
blade072
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
From what I was told by a customer/friend who actually built the top hood surrounds for the 1975-1982 Corvettes. That the resin used in the process was not polyester based....thus...not the same as the earlier Corvettes....thus a different type of resin and adhesive is needed.

I did not work at molding plant. I worked at the Charlotte assembly plant building the trailers themselves. Which the only reason I mentioned it was due to I do a lot about using solid rivets and bucking them.

Any color of what??? You lost me on this.

If you are strictly commenting on the old archive photo of the assembly worker working on the Corvette underbody/rear tub area.

I agree. That era of Corvette is not SMC. But the original thread starter's Corvette is SMC.

An SMC panel is slick as glass on both sides and is a gray color often times with dark streaks running through it making it look like marble.

The panels from the earlier Corvettes are not as slick and actually will have a very, very light texture to them...and the fibers.... as like has been mentioned....are consistently different.

DUB
Hi DUB,
You are welcome to call me at 440-812-2189 to discuss.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:41 AM
blade072
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Jim,
While I saw a small assortment of rivet 'heads' used on my car, I think I saw only 2 different 'set' sides.
The most typical, and seemingly used everywhere, was the simple 'mushroom' set.
However, on the support strap for the spare tire tub, the rivets, while having the typical large flat head, have a very precise and consistent shape to the 'set' side.
????
Regards,
Alan

I'm curious about these?

Hi Alan,
Please call me if you wish to discuss. 440-812-2189
Jim
Old 12-22-2016, 07:04 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by blade072
Another idea that might help would be to put a urethane adhesive between the reinforcement and the fiberglass underbody. That would make all the surfaces to nest together plus a good adhesion. Then you can rivet or bolt. Make sure you install large washers on the inside of the underbody. I would think that 3/16 would be fine, but for peace of mind, go to 1/4.
with adding an adhesive....as long as the surfaces are prepped correctly for the adhesive to have any worth and actually adhere.

The size of fastener is up to you when you bolt the gusset to the body.

BUT what gives me more concern is the caged nut that the body bolt screwed into. I KNOW that GM used the caged square nut for 19 years.

But when I do repairs in this area...and the caging is rusted to pieces...and the nut was shot. When I go back in.... I cut a plate of steel that fits in the bottom of this #4 mount area on the inside....then I add large washer...and then a lock washer and nut. This is so when I get it all tight....that square plate I fitted to the inside of this area is now covering the entire bottom surface area.....and NOT just the surface that the original square nut covered.

DUB
Old 12-24-2016, 01:33 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
with adding an adhesive....as long as the surfaces are prepped correctly for the adhesive to have any worth and actually adhere.

The size of fastener is up to you when you bolt the gusset to the body.

BUT what gives me more concern is the caged nut that the body bolt screwed into. I KNOW that GM used the caged square nut for 19 years.

But when I do repairs in this area...and the caging is rusted to pieces...and the nut was shot. When I go back in.... I cut a plate of steel that fits in the bottom of this #4 mount area on the inside....then I add large washer...and then a lock washer and nut. This is so when I get it all tight....that square plate I fitted to the inside of this area is now covering the entire bottom surface area.....and NOT just the surface that the original square nut covered.

DUB
Thanks Dub,

Yeah, the cage and nut came out in pieces so I plan on just using a bolt like you say.

What's the best way to prep the surface for the adhesive?

I appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Thanks Dub,

Yeah, the cage and nut came out in pieces so I plan on just using a bolt like you say.

What's the best way to prep the surface for the adhesive?

I appreciate it. Thanks.
What adhesive are you planning on using??? ( Name brand and part number)
Some want scuffing...some want grinding and good scratches...some want bare steel with good grind marks...while some want an epoxy primer on the steel...so...it depends.

The preparation of surfaces can be different due (as briefly explained above) to the chemical make-up of the adhesive...so their is NO BLANKET statement that covers all adhesives. Need to know what you are using.

And if you know what you are using...it might be best to contact their tech department and get that information from them. Because unless I know it right off the top of my head..I would have to call them and find out and then relay that information to you....SO..I am sure you are quite capable in contacting them yourself....and even have teh tech department go online and get to this thread so they can actually see what you are doing...so the correct adhesive and be used....just in case....a new/better formula has been developed that is not in the mainstream yet but can be obtained.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (12-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Body Mount - Fiberglass Cracking