C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 - Disconnected Wires Under Console - Missing Nuts for Console Attachment.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:05 PM
NRAROX
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 1968 - Disconnected Wires Under Console - Missing Nuts for Console Attachment.

One thing always leads to another . . . while fixing my vacuum for the Four-Season heating and A/C system, I found some loose wires. (See Picture Below.) Any ideas?

1. One pair is yellow and light blue. They are attached to a coupler. I see no such bundle in the wiring diagram. Ideas?

2. Another bundle is three wires: black, black, green - also in a connector. This one has been bridged with a black wire (see it?). Ideas on what is up here?

3. A third bundle is two black wires terminating at a female spade connector. This would appear to be the console ground. Any ideas where this might attach? (What does this ground? My lighter isn't working yet I know the element is operable. Does this ground the lighter among other things?)

In the drawing is an entry for a "Cig LP" on a Grey wire. Is this the grey wire running to the lamp for the Cigarette lighter/ashtray? How is this grounded? (My lamp is not lighting, yet it tests as 'good' with an Ohmmeter.)

Also, does the console get bolted into place at it's edge toward the dash? It would appear there may have been two nuts attached to the same bolts that hold the edge of the radio. If true the would likely have a washer of some kind. Any information on this would be helpful, too.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

im pretty sure thats a ground, put your multimeter on continuity checker and see if it is.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:54 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi N,
Here's the ground location on a 71 controller. Maybe the same for your car?
The ground terminal 'spade' fastens to the side of the controller frame with a small hex head screw.
Regards,
Alan

Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by NRAROX

1. One pair is yellow and light blue. They are attached to a coupler. I see no such bundle in the wiring diagram. Ideas?

DO you have POWER WINDOWS???

2. Another bundle is three wires: black, black, green - also in a connector. This one has been bridged with a black wire (see it?). Ideas on what is up here?

Need to see what the end of the connector looks like...The shape helps me...and your photo angle is not helping. Possibly for the factory radio....but it is hard to say. because I see the wires ...but I do not know if all these wires are coming out of the same part of the dash harness.

3. A third bundle is two black wires terminating at a female spade connector. This would appear to be the console ground. Any ideas where this might attach? (What does this ground? My lighter isn't working yet I know the element is operable. Does this ground the lighter among other things?)

YES...the wire you are point to IS a GROUND wire and is supposed to attach to a terminal that is screwed to the side of your A/C -heater control.

YES...when you ground the A/C heater control head..and secure your shifter plate to it and all is CORRECT...the shifter plate will be grounded and your cigarette lighter will work.

In the drawing is an entry for a "Cig LP" on a Grey wire. Is this the grey wire running to the lamp for the Cigarette lighter/ashtray? How is this grounded? (My lamp is not lighting, yet it tests as 'good' with an Ohmmeter.)

You are missing special housing that the light socket fits into...that then allows you to clip it into the correct housing for your cigarette lighter.

Also, does the console get bolted into place at it's edge toward the dash? It would appear there may have been two nuts attached to the same bolts that hold the edge of the radio. If true the would likely have a washer of some kind. Any information on this would be helpful, too.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
The two long threaded studs that are in your gauge bezel...that are UNDER your radio are slide into the cut-outs in your console. They take 10-24 nuts with attached spinning washers and these nuts will hold the gauge bezel to your console.

And YES...the side of the the console is attached to the bracket that is riveted to your floor board...by using scews with washers also to aid in providing more surface area to hold it.

DO NOT be surprised that it may take a bit of force to get the console and gauge cluster back far enough to you can install these two side screws....and still make it so you can install your CORRECT park brake console in place and have everything fit correctly. Not all park brake consoles are the same...the rigid hard plastic one are better than the other crap that is made out of a more flexible plastic. The flexible plastic ones are not made right and DO NOT fit precisely.....just saying.

DUB
Old 02-23-2017, 07:03 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi N,
Here's the cig. lighter lamp's housing that Dub describes
Regards,.
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-23-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:36 PM
NRAROX
Instructor

Knerf, I will check with the multi-meter to verify. Although I will use a voltmeter first. I’ve fried more than one ohmmeter. [I take that back, Dub and Alan have confirmed this is a ground.]

Alan, thanks so much. Is there anything on your car that you do NOT have a photo of?  You must have THOUSANDS of photos. Thank the Lord for digital, eh? My frame is identical to yours but that attachment point is missing. I wonder if someone removed it. I will install something.

Dub, yes, I have power windows. Inserted below are photos of the connectors. And yes, all of these are emanating from the same harness. Awesome that the black is the ground for my lighter – yay! Another thing potentially fixed. And I have the housing for the cigarette bulb, the bulb has just been pulled out. I will reinsert it at installation. I never realized that nuts with attached washers were called ‘spinning washers’; makes sense. Yes, I’ve experienced the tight fit when I replaced my carpet. In my rush to reassemble I must have missed all of these things. Perhaps it was all just a little overwhelming at the time.

Connector #1

Connector #1 Picture 2

Connector #2 Picture 1

Connector #2 Picture 2

Connector #2 Picture 3 - When combined with the other two photos, it would appear the green and ONE of the black wires are being bridged.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:37 PM
NRAROX
Instructor

Darn iPhones. I hate their focus control. Or lack thereof.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: my 68 AIM has a wiring diagram in it. It also shows the ground terminal on the backside of the shifter plate.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:20 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Funny you should say that, Easy Mike. I just saw that myself this morning. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

The blue yellow and the jumpered wires go to your wiper door relay. They jumped across to get the wipers to work. Is your wiper door removed/ replaced with a long hood?

The black black one is the console ground. Its ground for the gauges and wiper relay/ solenoid plugs.

If you want a good diagram, buy the doc rebuilds o so ez diagrams. They are laminted and detailed with all the plugs. They are copyrighted and cant be shown here. Worth every penny

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 02-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Thanks, Rescue. Now that is odd. I just got the wipers working (with the cowl door raising and lowering) without changing any connectors under the console. I believe I saw that connector yesterday (connected) but will look again. And thanks for the tip on doc rebuild diagrams.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:26 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Isn't this a wiper relay?

It sits forward of the AC/Heat controls left of what I think is the flasher relay under the console plate.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Either power windows or heater. Those cut wires might be part of the old window system. The wiper door relay has five leads

The red and white wires on my schematic are only in the window circuit. Llooks like the previous owner may have done some creative wiring.
I think the relay may have been eliminated for some reason, maybe he was using a newer motor. Its hard saying. Its working, maybe leave it until the next time you want to redo everything. With the cut wires you may just want to wait until you decide you want to buy a new harness.

Is there anything not working, gauges, blower motor, dash/ gauge lights?

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 02-24-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:25 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Looking at the Willcox color-coded wiper diagram it indeed supports what you are saying, Rescue. I'll be interested in your response to my photo of what I thought was my wiper relay. Can anyone explain to me where these connectors show up on the wiring diagram (for example, the oen in the Chassis Service Manual Fig. 12-105).
Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

We are passing like ships in the night. My car has a later era service replacement motor. Would they eliminate the wiper relay when installing that?

Not working? Cigarette lighter and lighter lamp, but I think that may be due to the missing ground wire. (Which I looked again and believe the attaching bracket as been removed; I will restore.) Door buzzer. (Probably unrelated.) I must admit I am surprised when things start working that I didn't know were even there before (e.g., courtesy lights).

Yes, my car also has power windows. That is probably what that relay is for. One way to find out: disconnect it and see if the windows work.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I just found it. Its a power window relay, thats 2 different plugs, the red/white stripe is a single plug. Do you have power windows installed?
Old 02-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If they put in a different motor then yes, they probably had to get creative to get it to work with a 69 or later motor. I would not ground that wire just yet. Use a meter to test it. I can't tell you what the dealer did

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 - Disconnected Wires Under Console - Missing Nuts for Console Attachment.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 AM
NRAROX
Instructor

Yes, the power windows are installed and working. And yes, I should check that wire for power before presuming it is remains a ground.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:52 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Those cut orange wires might be for the cigerette lighter and light. Do your back up lights work?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM
NRAROX
Instructor

Yes, my back up lights work.

Quick Reply: 1968 - Disconnected Wires Under Console - Missing Nuts for Console Attachment.