C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:30 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by clwi
I use the pump that came with the kit from Holley, its a inline pump mounted on the hose from tank and not noisy at all.
When I first converted to EFI I did the same thing. The problem I had with that setup was that the engine would stumble any time I turned a corner at less than half tank.

I finally decided to upgrade the tank and now have a Rock Valley stainless tank with internal pump. Very happy with it, but it's certainly $$$.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:12 PM
clwi
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
When I first converted to EFI I did the same thing. The problem I had with that setup was that the engine would stumble any time I turned a corner at less than half tank.

I finally decided to upgrade the tank and now have a Rock Valley stainless tank with internal pump. Very happy with it, but it's certainly $$$.
I have runned it with 3 gallons in the tank without any issues...
Old 06-10-2017, 12:17 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by carriljc
Did you run new fuel line? I ask because I should replace my SS flex line one of these days.
If new hard fuel line --- were you able to do it with the body in place?
Yes, new hose to the Sniper, routed it beside the old hard line and used the old one as a return.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:19 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

did you use hose or hard-line? I'm using braided hose and was thinking of going to hard-line.....if it's doable.

Yes, new hose to the Sniper, routed it beside the old hard line and used the old one as a return.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:56 PM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by carriljc
did you use hose or hard-line? I'm using braided hose and was thinking of going to hard-line.....if it's doable.
I used a hose provided in the kit from Holley and used the old hard line as fuel return.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (06-10-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
750green
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did the same conversion on my 355 and start up and throttle response is amazing. One of the best upgrades to my C3 minus my T5 conversion. I mounted the fuel pump near the gas tank. Only question I have is where did you mount the 3.5 screen? Mounted mine on the dashboard near the speedo/tach.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:27 AM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by 750green
Did the same conversion on my 355 and start up and throttle response is amazing. One of the best upgrades to my C3 minus my T5 conversion. I mounted the fuel pump near the gas tank. Only question I have is where did you mount the 3.5 screen? Mounted mine on the dashboard near the speedo/tach.
I mounted mine on the console under the radio with a velcro strip.
Easy to monitor and move if i want.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM
clwi
Racer

Done some driving and its all smiles!
Feels like i have a new engine!
Set AFR values to 14,2 idle and 14,7 cruise, engine runs soo good, and the milage has gone up!
Cold start is so easy now compared to the old carb!
For you guys thinking about this...Just do it!!!
The following users liked this post:
jim-81 (12-11-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:26 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I did not get my Sniper as promised...
Apperently Holley has promised to much and cant deliver, tried to get it elsewere but it is a no go everywere....
you might be lucky, I heard good and bad on this system
Old 06-30-2017, 02:41 PM
69monzacpe
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Thinking about doing this conversion on my '69 now that I have my T5 installed. I'm in the "gathering data" mode. I have the original distributor with points so I'm thinking PerTronix conversion would be a first step, dial that in then add the EFI. I saw on Summit for the unit I'd purchase as of today they show shipping in August. I'm not in a hurry so it's not a problem for me.

Last edited by 69monzacpe; 06-30-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM
clwi
Racer

Done some driving and i must say this the best thing i have done to get performance and driveability.
Coldstarts is a breese and performance is way up!
I get 16mpg mixed driving and the throttle response is awesome!
With a 468 and a Straub cam this is truly amazing!!
You guyes with carb issues, switch to this and welcome to another world!!!!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:58 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by 69monzacpe
Thinking about doing this conversion on my '69 now that I have my T5 installed. I'm in the "gathering data" mode. I have the original distributor with points so I'm thinking PerTronix conversion would be a first step, dial that in then add the EFI. I saw on Summit for the unit I'd purchase as of today they show shipping in August. I'm not in a hurry so it's not a problem for me.
Just a small question regarding your T5 swap.

I have a 1987 T5WC, that I assume can be bolted right on my L46 bell house?
I assume I only need to unbolt the transmission (the 4 bolts), and leave the bell house on he engine and blot on the T5 correct?

My transmission is the factory L46 M21
Old 07-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi all,
I am about to install Sniper EFI on my car.
I have a MSD billet dist, question is, should i keep the distributor as it is with vac advance and weights, or lock it and use the built in ignition control in the sniper?
Anyone here done this?

Agree with others... let the computer control the timing.

Don't know about Sniper but MSD Atomic uses timing control to pull the idle speed to a specified level on top of where the cable stop lets the engine idle - excellent because you can change the idle speed at will in real time with the controller.

Also better because you can somewhat dial-in an advance curve. Somewhat because if I recall correctly the MSD lets you pick a few data points such as idle advance, rpm where more advance starts and all-in rpm and total advance.

Be careful - more choices means more opportunities to screw it up - but its easy to fix because you just use the controller to change the settings... try that on your Camry.

Best,

Carl
Old 08-04-2017, 10:30 AM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by Carl in LA
Agree with others... let the computer control the timing.

Don't know about Sniper but MSD Atomic uses timing control to pull the idle speed to a specified level on top of where the cable stop lets the engine idle - excellent because you can change the idle speed at will in real time with the controller.

Also better because you can somewhat dial-in an advance curve. Somewhat because if I recall correctly the MSD lets you pick a few data points such as idle advance, rpm where more advance starts and all-in rpm and total advance.

Be careful - more choices means more opportunities to screw it up - but its easy to fix because you just use the controller to change the settings... try that on your Camry.

Best,

Carl
Well, my Holley rep here in Sweden told me that i should keep me MSD dist as it is with vac advance, i wont gain anything by letting the Sniper control timing....lots of issus with MSD and controlled timing...and only way to get it fixed is to buy the Holley sync dist and thats expensive!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:00 PM
clwi
Racer

Final report on my EFI.
With a 468, 10,5 CR, Straub cam and Holley EFI i have achived 16mpg highway and an awesome performance...the way it pulls is amazing!!!
This is way over what i expected!!
The Straub cam works soo god with my engine with EFI.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:08 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Final report on my EFI.
With a 468, 10,5 CR, Straub cam and Holley EFI i have achived 16mpg highway and an awesome performance...the way it pulls is amazing!!!
This is way over what i expected!!
The Straub cam works soo god with my engine with EFI.
16 mpg with a 468?!? I'll be happy when my lowly 350 gets 16 mpg.

Are those 16 UK / Imperial gallons (4.55 liters per gallon) or US gallons (3.8 liters per gallon)?

Adam
Old 08-06-2017, 10:14 AM
clwi
Racer

Originally Posted by NewbVetteGuy
16 mpg with a 468?!? I'll be happy when my lowly 350 gets 16 mpg.

Are those 16 UK / Imperial gallons (4.55 liters per gallon) or US gallons (3.8 liters per gallon)?

Adam
That is US gallons!!

Get notified of new replies

To EFI conversion question

Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Why did you not use the factory steel line for your main line along the frame? Is it not big enough to handle the amount of fuel that you need? I would prefer that over a rubber line from tank to engine bay
Old 12-10-2017, 02:39 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Why did you not use the factory steel line for your main line along the frame? Is it not big enough to handle the amount of fuel that you need? I would prefer that over a rubber line from tank to engine bay
It’s not a rubber hose. Holley provides a PTFE lined hose designed for fuel injection.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:24 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rcread
It’s not a rubber hose. Holley provides a PTFE lined hose designed for fuel injection.
Sure, but mu question still remains the same. Can the factory steel lines be used so the PTFE hose is at a minimum?

Quick Reply: EFI conversion question