C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raised Body Dolly

Old 04-14-2017, 04:05 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 655 Posts
Default Raised Body Dolly

Has anyone built a raised body dolly, one that allows a person to locate the body unit over the frame assembly and move it as needed ? Ideas ? Drawings/Pictures appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C,
I built a dolly (with wheels) to put the body on while I restored the chassis and running gear. It simply supported the body at the rocker channels.
I didn't work UNDER it, (ceiling too low), but worked NEXT to it.
I would push the body forward or backward depending on what I was doing with the chassis.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 04-14-2017 at 04:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Texan79423 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi C,
I built a dolly (with wheels) to put the body on while I restored the chassis and running gear. It simply supported the body at the rocker channels.
I didn't work UNDER it, (ceiling too low), but worked NEXT to it.
I would push the body forward or backward depending on what I was doing with the chassis.
Regards,
Alan

Thank you Alan. I see what you did, I can modify that. I'll post a picture if what I create works.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:16 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,638 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Yes, please post some photos of what you come up with. I have limited space in my garage and I need to build a dolly that will store the body over the chassis, that can be pushed over to the other side of the garage while working on the chassis. I had one for my 33 hot rod and I found a couple of old photos.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-14-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:31 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default dollie

RVZIO
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Yes, please post some photos of what you come up with. I have limited space in my garage and I need to build a dolly that will store the body over the chassis, that can be pushed over to the other side of the garage while working on the chassis. I had one for my 33 hot rod and I found a couple of old photos.

I love the fact that all one has to do is ask on this forum and people come to the aid of their fellow enthusiast ! Thank you ! The pictures are priceless.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:50 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio

RVZIO
Thank you, the pictures will help a ton.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:21 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

i don't, but i bet somebody has some plans to such a structure?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:12 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

RVZIO
What did you use to lift the body off that high? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:29 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
What did you use to lift the body off that high? Thanks.
Good question Buccaneer. The car was in my new detached garage. When it was built I had them run 3 16" wide cross beam headers knowing this would be good foe body lifts and engine lifts. Then I went to northern hardware and picked up 2 1ton pulley systems. Attached them to the header and away it went. I tried to strap the car close to factory so it would lift evenly.
RVZIO

So those are a few pictures taken at different time in my project that show how I lifted the body based on what was available.
Thanks for asking and good luck if you decide to do this.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:28 AM
77Blue
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the "gotcha's" I ran across when I built mine was the bottom structure will not allow the engine hoist to slide under it. I had to make one side of the dolly removable. Of course I have the same issue with the frame and have to put the rolling chassis on wheel dollies to get it high enough to clear the legs of the hoist. I also didn't make it high enough - I'm currently building an extension to allow me to apply Lizard Skin to the underside.
Attached Images   

Last edited by 77Blue; 04-17-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:50 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 77Blue
One of the "gotcha's" I ran across when I built mine was the bottom structure will not allow the engine hoist to slide under it. I had to make one side of the dolly removable. Of course I have the same issue with the frame and have to put the rolling chassis on wheel dollies to get it high enough to clear the legs of the hoist. I also didn't make it high enough - I'm current;y building and extension to allow me to apply Lizard Skin to the underside.
Thank you the pictures are a great help along with "issues" you've solved. Car looks great by the way, and the LS swap is awesome.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:32 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Good question Buccaneer. The car was in my new detached garage. When it was built I had them run 3 16" wide cross beam headers knowing this would be good foe body lifts and engine lifts. Then I went to northern hardware and picked up 2 1ton pulley systems. Attached them to the header and away it went. I tried to strap the car close to factory so it would lift evenly.
RVZIO

So those are a few pictures taken at different time in my project that show how I lifted the body based on what was available.
Thanks for asking and good luck if you decide to do this.
Gottcha and thanks for the pics. I want to change out my body mounts which is the only thing left to do really on mine. Trying to figure out which is the best way with the least amount of trouble. Read a lot of posts from others, but not too keen on some of the ways to accomplish the task. I'm in no hurry and may be a winter project since the heat here in AZ is starting to go up. Thanks again.
caskiguy (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 04:08 PM
dreno73
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have no way to build hoists in my garage so I'm wondering how to lift the body off the frame to get it on a dolly. 6 guys to lift it from the frame and onto a dolly? I'm new at restoring my 74 and cars for that matter. At first I didn't want to go through the hassle of an off the frame restoration but now that I've looked underneath the car, I think it's the best thing to do.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:41 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Not quite what you are asking for but with a little adaptation, you might get what you want. I lifted the body off on my two post lift with some 4x4's attached to the rocker area. It took a bit of shaping. To put it back on, I put the partially assembled frame on four dollies on casters. If for whatever reason you can't approach things in quite this way, I suppose you could put together some sort of exoskeleton attached to this structure that would ride on castors that were outside the frame envelope. Of course then the question becomes how would you propose to drop it down? In my case all I needed to do was lift the body high enough to roll the frame with motor installed back under the lift and jockey it around until things lined up and then drop it down on the frame. Managed to do this single-handedly.

Last edited by ignatz; 04-15-2017 at 04:45 PM.
caskiguy (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 05:00 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dreno73
I have no way to build hoists in my garage so I'm wondering how to lift the body off the frame to get it on a dolly. 6 guys to lift it from the frame and onto a dolly? I'm new at restoring my 74 and cars for that matter. At first I didn't want to go through the hassle of an off the frame restoration but now that I've looked underneath the car, I think it's the best thing to do.
Some have used an engine hoist and there are plenty of pictures of those here on the forum. Personally I was not to crazy about doing it that way but hey it works.
RVZIO
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 PM
redcruz1120
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I built it to have the body sit just inside the Channels so it would allow me to work and weld on all four inserts and both Channels. I used as you can see some 4x6 and 2x6 a couple of 2x4 and lag bolts and casters just in case I had to roll it. I didn't have to much. I also added a front support that the radiator support rested on.

caskiguy (04-15-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Raised Body Dolly

Old 04-15-2017, 11:26 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redcruz1120
I built it to have the body sit just inside the Channels so it would allow me to work and weld on all four inserts and both Channels. I used as you can see some 4x6 and 2x6 a couple of 2x4 and lag bolts and casters just in case I had to roll it. I didn't have to much. I also added a front support that the radiator support rested on.

Great engineering. Nice car btw. Thank you
Old 04-16-2017, 02:16 AM
gleninsandiego
Safety Car

Received 1,065 Likes on 583 Posts

What parts of the body are resting on the dollies with flat tops?
I have seen plans for dollies that have pieces that mimic the location of the 8 body bolts but these look simpler. I like simple but do they give proper support?

Thanks

Last edited by gleninsandiego; 04-16-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:12 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi gw,
I built one of each type.
While I restoring the chassis I needed as much usable room in my garage as possible so built a more or less square dolly that supported the body by the rocker channels. The dolly brought the top of the car quite close to the ceiling in my garage. The body sat on it for many years while I worked on the chassis.
When I was finished with the chassis I needed a dolly that would be lower so I could work on the body, and also one that I could use to transport the body to the shop were it was to be painted. That's when I designed and built the dolly that supports the body at the 8 body mounts and core support.
Both were designed and built to be as simple as possible and were only designed to be used once or twice.
Regards,
Alan

My garage ceiling was too low to use an engine hoist to lift the body.
I jacked up the body from below, assembled the dolly under it, and then lowered the body onto the dolly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raised Body Dolly