C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM
truckerlary
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default exhaust backfiring

What is making my exhaust backfire as it is throttling down. It has sidepipes and when I start slowing down when driving it will backfire. I always thought this was due to timing but changing it doesn't have any effect. Thanks Larry
Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

You could have an exhaust leak and when let off the gas air is sucked into the exhaust and mixes with the hot unburned fuel and causes it to explode.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,245 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Experiment by turning the idle mixture screws out a quarter turn at a time.
You can eliminate 90% of that noise.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:39 AM
dmruschell
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I like that sound. The C6R race cars pop very loudly on deceleration in gear. My DeLorean does it, and because of the short exhaust on a rear engines car, sometimes flames are visible. My 79 Vette also does it.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi tl,
I believe a backfire through the exhaust while decelerating can sometimes be caused by how the engine's timing is set.
Perhaps you might want to check that?
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM
truckerlary
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi tl,
I believe a backfire through the exhaust while decelerating can sometimes be caused by how the engine's timing is set.
Perhaps you might want to check that?
Regards,
Alan
That's what I always was led to believe but it doesn't seem to change the problem by changing the timing. Which would be more apt to cause the problem? Too advanced or too retarded?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:04 AM
ktmdon
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distributer advance curve

What are you running for a distributer? Could be a problem with the advance
Old 04-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I was just reading last night you maybe running a little lean. Im trying to diagnose a carb issue right now as well
Old 04-22-2017, 01:00 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I was just reading last night you maybe running a little lean. Im trying to diagnose a carb issue right now as well
Probably too lean if it's a mixture issue.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:36 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Back Fire as in a load BANG or a bunch of burble?

Old 04-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Calo69
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '18

Had same symptoms, found solution in post by Lars, i have it still. Is it considered ok to post a picture of his post? Not sure of forum etiquitte or spelling of etiquitte either
Old 04-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,245 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by truckerlary
That's what I always was led to believe but it doesn't seem to change the problem by changing the timing. Which would be more apt to cause the problem? Too advanced or too retarded?
Timing too far advanced will backfire like this:

Retarded timing will give you after fire (out the exhaust pipes).

Leave you timing as is was and adjust the idle mixture screws to richen up the mixture and the after fire will go away.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:56 PM
truckerlary
Racer

The backfire is just small pops that are just annoying. The dist. is a stock GM HEI with initial timing around 10 degrees with total timimg around 36 degrees. Didn't notice the problem until I put the sidepipes on. I'll try opening up the adjustment screws a little.Thanks everyone for all the advice. Larry

Last edited by truckerlary; 04-22-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:01 PM
truckerlary
Racer

Originally Posted by Calo69
Had same symptoms, found solution in post by Lars, i have it still. Is it considered ok to post a picture of his post? Not sure of forum etiquitte or spelling of etiquitte either
Pretty sure you can share. I've seen others do it. If in doubt PM it to me. Thanks Larry
Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

It's usually a combination of things that cause after fire popping in the exhaust. Lean idle mixture, retarded ignition timing and exhaust leaks.

Make sure your vacuum advance is working properly. If it is not working, it will contribute to the after fire popping.

Set your idle mixture screws with a vacuum gauge. Start by turning them all the way in and lightly seating them. Turn them out 1 1/2 turns to start out with. Now start the car and fully warm it up. Hook the vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum. Start turning each in a little at a time. If the reading on the gauge goes up, keep turning them in until the reading starts to drop, then turn them back out until you find the highest reading on the gauge. If the reading goes down when you first start to turn the idle mixture screws in, just go the other way and start turning them out until you find the highest reading. Make sure you turn both mixture screws the same amount on both sides.

Now check very closely for exhaust leaks. Just a small leak will contribute to popping. Fix any leak you find.

If you do all of the above, it should eliminate or at least minimize the after fire popping.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 04-22-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 PM
vette_jim
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I know I'm probably alone in this camp but if the above advice doesn't work for you. ...try this.... Set baseline mixture as stated above with mixture adjustment backed off from seated 1 1/2 turns. Street test with engine at normal temp....if it still pops on deceleration turn each mixture adjustment clockwise(leaner) 1/4 turn and street test again. Repeat as needed but you still need decent idle when finished. If you have to crank mixture in a lot you may have internal fuel leaks in the carb. My take on this is on deceleration with throttle plates closed, vacuum goes high drawing in fuel from the idle ports, raw fuel looking for ignition....red glowing carbon deposits in exhaust system. I've had luck with this a few times. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:56 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Calo69
Go ahead an re-post anything I've posted.

Bottom line is this: Afterfire (popping in the exhaust) is almost always caused by a lean condition. Not by timing or a rich condition. Richen it up.

Lars
Old 04-23-2017, 08:22 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Go ahead an re-post anything I've posted.

Bottom line is this: Afterfire (popping in the exhaust) is almost always caused by a lean condition. Not by timing or a rich condition. Richen it up.

Lars
I usually agree with all you say on here, but I have to disagree about the timing not affecting decel pop. If you have ever ridden an old Harley with the timing control on the left grip on the handlebars, you would find that when you have the distributor advanced and decel, there is no pop. Retard the timing and decel, it will pop like crazy. I learned this decades ago. In tuning fuel injection I have cured decel pop many times by yes richening the decel area, but sometimes with fairly open exhaust they still pop. Advance the timing in the decel area and they stop.

Leaks can cause decel pop also.

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 04-24-2017 at 01:01 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust backfiring

Quick Reply: exhaust backfiring