C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wire short somewhere ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesRed68
Also when i put my headlights on my right turn signal lights up and stays on without blinking. Without the headlights on the turn signals work as they should.
That is a bad ground issue.
The following users liked this post:
MikesRed68 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
That is a bad ground issue.
Big2Bird how and were should i start checking for the bad ground. I am really not to knowledgeable about wiring and my car is not on the road yet as i want to take care of all my issues first, so it is not possible to drive it to someone.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:08 AM
ENCSDOUG
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Also when i put my headlights on my right turn signal lights up and stays on without blinking. Without the headlights on the turn signals work as they should.
This sounds like a bad flasher. Does the other side do the same?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:11 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by ENCSDOUG
This sounds like a bad flasher. Does the other side do the same?
Hi ..No its only on the right side. The signals work as they should without the headlights on. When i put my headlights on the right signal comes on and stays lit and does not blink. Only the right signal. When i turn the headlights off the right blinker goes off too. Also when i put my hazards on both signals flash very fast. And when i use the signals as normal they blink as normal.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:40 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

You have two different flashers for turn signals and the hazards.

Look right inside the hood-

Not totally positive on the location on a 68 ( last 68 I owned was almost 40 years ago!!!) but the ground wire will be black

Just loosen the hex screw - clean up the connector and metal surface- should have a star washer between the terminal and the metal - tighten it back up and that should get it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
MikesRed68 (04-26-2017), Primoz (04-30-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 12:26 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
You have two different flashers for turn signals and the hazards.

Look right inside the hood-

Not totally positive on the location on a 68 ( last 68 I owned was almost 40 years ago!!!) but the ground wire will be black

Just loosen the hex screw - clean up the connector and metal surface- should have a star washer between the terminal and the metal - tighten it back up and that should get it.

Thanks , Will also try that....
Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,291 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 68, not only are you in for a fun trip but some parts are 68 only and can not be used in other year models. The wiper motor is a big one. Okay back to your problem. The key buzzer is built into the horn relay, which is next to the voltage regulator. The wiper override switch WILL drain your battery quickly. Get a white paint pen, turn on the wipers and rotate the switch. When they are working mark the **** so you can look down and see the white dot. It will save you alot of headaches.

Twist your headlight switch clockwise lightly until you feel it click slightlyand it should light up your courtesy lamps under the dash. If they light and they arent lit with your door shut then your ajar switch problem its not draining your system.

The turn signal flasher should be the one attached to your fuse block and the hazard flasher is under the cigar lighter/ashtray of vice versa. Theres a panel on the right side of the center console that slides off and you can reach in behind there to access it.

for the turn signal problem, when you have a bad bulb or bad ground, it will general cause that side to hyper flash. Check all the bulbs to see if they work then pull them to make sure they are correct. Im thinking its an incorrect bulb or its in wrong.

With the horn you can unplug the relay and see if thats draining your system. You need to get some wiring diagrams. For plugs and routing get the Doc Rebuild sheets, pricey but worth every cent. Then you can download some free wiring diaggrams here on the site. Search for it, someone is giving them away, wilcox may have some too.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 04-26-2017 at 04:25 PM.
MikesRed68 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:16 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Welcome to the wonderful world of the 68, not only are you in for a fun trip but some parts are 68 only and can not be used in other year models. The wiper motor is a big one. Okay back to your problem. The key buzzer is built into the horn relay, which is next to the voltage regulator. The wiper override switch WILL drain your battery quickly. Get a white paint pen, turn on the wipers and rotate the switch. When they are working mark the **** so you can look down and see the white dot. It will save you alot of headaches.

Twist your headlight switch clockwise lightly until you feel it click slightlyand it should light up your courtesy lamps under the dash. If they light and they arent lit with your door shut then your ajar switch problem its not draining your system.

The turn signal flasher should be the one attached to your fuse block and the hazard flasher is under the cigar lighter/ashtray of vice versa. Theres a panel on the right side of the center console that slides off and you can reach in behind there to access it.

for the turn signal problem, when you have a bad bulb or bad ground, it will general cause that side to hyper flash. Check all the bulbs to see if they work then pull them to make sure they are correct. Im thinking its an incorrect bulb or its in wrong.

With the horn you can unplug the relay and see if thats draining your system. You need to get some wiring diagrams. For plugs and routing get the Doc Rebuild sheets, pricey but worth every cent. Then you can download some free wiring diaggrams here on the site. Search for it, someone is giving them away, wilcox may have some too.
Rescue Rodgers....Thanks alot!!!! I will try everything u said....
Old 04-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Also che k the headlight grounds. I was rereading some comments and it was mentioned the headlights lighting the turn signal. That may be the closest good ground or power is back feeding somehow. Thats a tricky one. Post us some pics of whats going on, pics of your wiring and things like that. Someone may see something else. Good luck
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Also che k the headlight grounds. I was rereading some comments and it was mentioned the headlights lighting the turn signal. That may be the closest good ground or power is back feeding somehow. Thats a tricky one. Post us some pics of whats going on, pics of your wiring and things like that. Someone may see something else. Good luck
Thank you Rescue Rogers, I will defin take some pics and post them.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:11 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

RR I ordered the 11x17 color coded wiring diagram for the 68. I was looking on line for that Docs Rebuild sheets. I cant find anything. Id like to buy it too. Would u know where to get that?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

RR I ordered the 11x17 color coded wiring diagram for the 68. I was looking on line for that Docs Rebuild sheets. I cant find anything. Id like to buy it too. Would u know where to get that?
doc rebuild has his own site. Look on there for oh so easy wiring diagram for your year

http://docrebuild.com/oosoez.html
Old 04-27-2017, 08:25 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

doc rebuild has his own site. Look on there for oh so easy wiring diagram for your year

http://docrebuild.com/oosoez.html
RR Thanks but i did look online , i typed that in but nothing like that came up, wiring diagram. The link you gave me does not let me click on it . Ill keep trying ..Thanks
Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

RR Thanks but i did look online , i typed that in but nothing like that came up, wiring diagram. The link you gave me does not let me click on it . Ill keep trying ..Thanks
GOT IT !!!! Thank you RR !!!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Here' a free one for 68 the time being- PDF version

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...tte%201968.pdf
MikesRed68 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454
Here' a free one for 68 the time being- PDF version

http://www.keystonestatecorvetteclub...tte%201968.pdf
R454 Thank you much!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 PM
MikesRed68
Racer

GOT IT !!!! Thank you RR !!!!!
RR Thanks alot !!!!! I just ordered it !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wire short somewhere ????

Old 04-29-2017, 04:14 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

RR ...1)The courtesy lights go on and off as they should from the headlight switch/****, turning it counter clockwise .2)The door ajar switch is hanging out of the door jam hole so its not functioning as it should with closing the door. With the door open i pushed in the door ajar switch and the door ajar light switch does go off on the dash. It will not go off when u close the door as it goes into the door jam hole. I did get a door jam mounting bracket that is about 2 in square with 2 diagonal holes and a threaded hole in the middle to thread the door ajar switch.Also noticed when i put my turn signals on the both tail lights flash on each side. Another words when i use my left turn signal both tail lights on the left side will flash and the same for the right side ,both right side tail lights flash. Also as said before when my headlights go on the right turn signal goes on and stays lit only on the inside it does not go on and light on the outside. Also yesterday when i was checking the wiring i noticed my water temp wire was all rusted at the connector on the water temp plug and when i went to feel it it broke right off the connector. I did take pics of the wiring and will post them . BTW...The wipers are now working .. Strange...but glad...

Last edited by MikesRed68; 04-29-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:18 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Name:  020.JPG
Views: 453
Size:  1.70 MBUOTE=MikesRed68;1594630745]RR ...1)The courtesy lights go on and off as they should from the headlight switch/****, turning it counter clockwise .2)The door ajar switch is hanging out of the door jam hole so its not functioning as it should with closing the door. With the door open i pushed in the door ajar switch and the door ajar light switch does go off on the dash. It will not go off when u close the door as it goes into the door jam hole. I did get a door jam mounting bracket that is about 2 in square with 2 diagonal holes and a threaded hole in the middle to thread the door ajar switch.Also noticed when i put my turn signals on the both tail lights flash on each side. Another words when i use my left turn signal both tail lights on the left side will flash and the same for the right side ,both right side tail lights flash. Also as said before when my headlights go on the right turn signal goes on and stays lit only on the inside it does not go on and light on the outside. Also yesterday when i was checking the wiring i noticed my water temp wire was all rusted at the connector on the water temp plug and when i went to feel it it broke right off the connector. I did take pics of the wiring and will post them .[/QUOTE]
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 AM
MikesRed68
Racer

Name:  023.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  2.60 MB
Originally Posted by mikesred68
Attachment 48088019uote=mikesred68;1594630745]rr ...1)the courtesy lights go on and off as they should from the headlight switch/****, turning it counter clockwise .2)the door ajar switch is hanging out of the door jam hole so its not functioning as it should with closing the door. With the door open i pushed in the door ajar switch and the door ajar light switch does go off on the dash. It will not go off when u close the door as it goes into the door jam hole. I did get a door jam mounting bracket that is about 2 in square with 2 diagonal holes and a threaded hole in the middle to thread the door ajar switch.also noticed when i put my turn signals on the both tail lights flash on each side. Another words when i use my left turn signal both tail lights on the left side will flash and the same for the right side ,both right side tail lights flash. Also as said before when my headlights go on the right turn signal goes on and stays lit only on the inside it does not go on and light on the outside. Also yesterday when i was checking the wiring i noticed my water temp wire was all rusted at the connector on the water temp plug and when i went to feel it it broke right off the connector. I did take pics of the wiring and will post them .
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Wire short somewhere ????