C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom grind cam question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:55 PM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Custom grind cam question...

Posted a few threads about a 383 stroker short block I have on an engine stand......When I purchased it a few years ago the previous owner explained to me that it had a custom grind cam in it....Hydraulic flat tappet..

What exactly is a custom grind cam? I have an idea but I'm not exactly sure....I figured I would ask the members on the forum..

Thanks....
Old 05-20-2017, 06:08 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The cam companies have a collection of lobe profiles. The lobes themselves are not what's custom.

A custom ground cam lets you take an intake and exhaust lobe that normally don't come on a specific cam, and you can specify the lobe separation (within reason limited by the cam blanks).

A common custom grind would be to specify a tighter lobe separation than the off-the-shelf version. Tighter separation builds more low and mid range torque, and in the right motor can even make more top end power.
The following users liked this post:
zrc3john (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Any chance you know who ground that cam, and can get in touch with them to find out what the specs are? I had Cam Motion grind me a custom BBC solid roller Cam with a billet core with a cast gear on the end because i was running nitrous. They ground it on a 114 CL with .691/.684 lift and a .262/.272 Dur @.050. Most off the shelf grinds will work with most engines, a custom grind has a purpose.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

With so many cams available for the SBC there is really little reason for the expense of a custom ground unless there is something really unique about the engine.

In your context they probably meant they had an aftermarket cam vs a stock replacement cam.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Not sure I 100 percent agree with that. The builder may want the engine to perform a certain way in a given circumstance . By changing the specs they can tailor a cam that may be close but not exactly what he or the customer may be looking for.
contacting the builder or cam grinder would possibly yield some light. I can't see it being negative, it's likely that there could have been heads or compression that wasn't ideal for an off the shelf cam..
Old 05-22-2017, 10:04 AM
zrc3john
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
Not sure I 100 percent agree with that. The builder may want the engine to perform a certain way in a given circumstance . By changing the specs they can tailor a cam that may be close but not exactly what he or the customer may be looking for.
contacting the builder or cam grinder would possibly yield some light. I can't see it being negative, it's likely that there could have been heads or compression that wasn't ideal for an off the shelf cam..
The shop I bought the block from is out in Toms River NJ....Coast transmission and Performance shop is the name....I'm about 80 miles from there....I'll probably take a ride and double check with the seller before I start the build....
Old 05-22-2017, 11:08 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Cam is designed to allow the engine to meet the goals of the owner. The camshaft is the brain of the engine.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

The cam needs to be matched to the cylinder head and RPM goals of the engine. Lots of thought goes into picking the correct can for the correct application.

Get notified of new replies

To Custom grind cam question...

Quick Reply: Custom grind cam question...