C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride height adjustment issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ride height adjustment issues

Thanks in advance. I am presently undergoing the rear suspension swap using 1979 components into my 1975. New TA's, 2.5" halfshafts from the '79, 2.5" wide spring from the '79 along with the '79 rear diff. I have read a number of posts and have been advised by Tony at Tony's Corvette Shop in MD that the ride height can be affected when a new spring is installed (typically increased ride height), even when using stock components. The threads I've read indicate a "longer bolt" can be used? Which bolt are we discussing? I can't, in my mind, figure out which bolt(s) related to the spring and rest of the suspension could be replaced with longer bolts that would result in a lowered ride height? It seems the inverse would be true. Take note that the swap has not yet begun and the result may be fine, but I am just worrying for the future (lol) in case I need to address the issue in some fashion. Thanks all.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

The bolt between the ends of the spring and the trailing arm. Typically swap out the ~6" long stock bolt for an 8" one.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
With no weight on the rear spring it has considerable 'arch'.
The rear spring is designed to be almost flat from side to side when the weight of the car is on it. As the spring flattens, the car lowers to the proper 'ride height'.
When a 'stiffer' spring is used some of the 'arch' in the spring remains because there's not enough weight on the spring to flatten it. (Adding a pile of bricks to the spare tire carrier lowers the car nicely.)
The use of longer spring bolts allows some of the arch to remain in the spring, but the car ride height becomes lower.
The further the spring being used is from the standard spring's specifications, the longer the bolts will need to be.
Some people end up with 10" bolts that almost touch the ground.
Regards,
Alan

Here's an example of an almost flat spring, the standard length bolts at each end, and a car with typical ride height.

The following users liked this post:
Highlander1732 (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 08:58 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

try to find and use a "grade 8" bolt too...
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by joewill
try to find and use a "grade 8" bolt too...
Will certainly do so if I end up having to use the longer bolts.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi H,
With no weight on the rear spring it has considerable 'arch'.
The rear spring is designed to be almost flat from side to side when the weight of the car is on it. As the spring flattens, the car lowers to the proper 'ride height'.
When a 'stiffer' spring is used some of the 'arch' in the spring remains because there's not enough weight on the spring to flatten it. (Adding a pile of bricks to the spare tire carrier lowers the car nicely.)
The use of longer spring bolts allows some of the arch to remain in the spring, but the car ride height becomes lower.
The further the spring being used is from the standard spring's specifications, the longer the bolts will need to be.
Some people end up with 10" bolts that almost touch the ground.
Regards,
Alan

Here's an example of an almost flat spring, the standard length bolts at each end, and a car with typical ride height.

I can always count on you to have the correct picture at the correct time! I'm hoping the spring will acclimate to it's new surroundings and settle in comfortably and "flat"

Get notified of new replies

To Ride height adjustment issues

Quick Reply: Ride height adjustment issues