C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 07:12 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

One aspect of electric brakes and steering is the absolute loss of brake and steering feel that you get with hydraulics....The systems so far I have experienced have a way to go...same as all electric cars, not there yet, especially with charging station infrastructure (not anywhere near an acceptable level), battery range, and even more importantly the 200X's the number of power plants that currently exist to provide the electricity for the batteries in the cars. Contrary to what the media wants everyone to believe, electricity is NOT free.....

Last edited by jb78L-82; 07-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
richard how do you like it

only experience ihave is on our hyundai rental hate it. Way too sensitive, steering too.
It's just for the drum parking brake- the actuator really pulls the brake cable better than any leveraged handle. Haven't had the car on a big hills (just my driveway) -but the car won't move.

I mainly used it to clear up the console area for my cupholders!!!

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
One aspect of electric brakes and steering is the absolute loss of brake and steering feel that you get with hydraulics....The systems so far I have experienced have a way to go...same as all electric cars, not there yet, especially with charging station infrastructure (not anywhere near an acceptable level), battery range, and even more importantly the 200X's the number of power plants that currently exist to provide the electricity for the batteries in the cars. Contrary to what the media wants everyone to believe, electricity is NOT free.....

And it's really dirty since you burn coal to make it and then have to convert it to DC to store than back to AC to run the car!!!

My wife's new Mustang has electric pump power rack and pinion steering box- I like it. Really has a great feel to it. I'm thinking the best of both worlds- saves weight- no pump and lines to leak and more compact. AND you'll be able to 'tune" it toy your preference.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:16 PM
george2066
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
airbags
not us
Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

My BMW's all electric.

While one person may say, "the feeling sucks, there's no feedback" that's their personal opinion. But what happens when a different person gets behind the wheel? That person may like the feel and feedback. Who's to say which is right or wrong.

A big benefit of electric brakes is that my wife, with her peripheral neuropathy, can brake just as well as myself. Braking performance is much more consistent from driver to driver.

BMW has a feature called 'brake hold'. Come to a stop, hit the switch and the brakes will hold until the gas is depressed. Its nice because you can take your foot of the brake at long lights or a person with foot/leg issues can rest.

I think most people who complain about electric brakes only do so because they know in advance the vehicle has them. That being said, the electric steering my wife's Hyundai is horrible.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:45 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Are we talking about a complete electrical brake system or electrical parking brakes?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:18 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Are we talking about a complete electrical brake system or electrical parking brakes?
My X3 has both. Although the brake system is a combination of electric and hydraulic.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TimAT
Kind of a different deal- trailer brakes are usually electro-magnetic. The brake controller senses you've stepped on the brakes thru the stop light switch and sends voltage to the electromagnets at the wheels. Old ones even tapped into the brake hydraulic system at the master cylinder and sensed that way. This thing is a power booster that's electric.
Ok I see. thread should be re-titled electric power booster. that's not the same as electric brakes...

btw the good controllers for a few years now have inertia sensors built into them to help control the voltage. even better than the old hydraulic taps...
Old 07-17-2017, 08:59 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I saw somewhere that the electric brake systems have an accumulator (air/hydraulic?) which holds 2500 psi to bring a car to a safe stop in the event of an electrical failure.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:03 PM
ChanceALR47
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same guestion

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Okay, I saw a Fantomworks where they installed "electric brakes." I have also now started seeing it in magazines. What's the scoop? Just curious is all. ANybody install/use these things?
that's pretty funny. I just got finished watching fantomworks one year after you did. Probably the same show with the 69 Firebird. I have a 77 Vette and was wondering if I could do it on that.

Quick Reply: Electric brakes