C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 PM
littleclyde
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlight switch

how to remove headlight switch on a 70 vett
Old 07-16-2017, 07:16 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi l,
Welcome!
The switch is quite difficult to replace because gaining access to it is involved.
You need access to the back of it for the electrical connection and the vacuum hose connections.
Folks generally unbolt the steering column from it bracket under the dash pad and let it come down several inches.
This allows the dash pad to be unscrewed (7 screws) and lowered 2 or 3 inches.
You'll have a better look at the switch then.
There's a small brass colored 'button' on the side of the switch which needs to be depressed so the **** and shaft can be pulled out.
The switch bezel on the front of the dash pad can then be unscrewed and removed which allows the switch to be removed.
You can then replace the switch.
BE VERY CAREFUL that the vacuum hoses are replaced in the same position on the new switch
After testing the switches operation the dash pad and steering column can be moved back into their proper position.
Be careful and take your time.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Steering column bolts.

Access to the switch with the dash pad lowered.

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-16-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 AM
rberman999
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Try a google search. There is a good Corvette magazine article with step by step instructions. Also use the search feature of the forum as many others over the years have asked the same question. Lots of luck. Russ

Last edited by rberman999; 07-16-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Hi,
The FIRST thing you should do is disconnect the battery. Then follow Alan's directions and you should be good to go. Any time you work on the wiring in the car make sure to disconnect the battery first to eliminate any chance of shorting something out.
Jimmy
The following users liked this post:
Peterbuilt (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 12:04 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Second project comin up
Next project. Good luck with yours
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default Simplicity, 1968 style

This thread sure makes me appreciate my 1968 with the key on the dashboard!

Alan, you are a very good person with your knowledge and the way that you help others with it. I thank you!

Good Luck out there guys!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

It's something you definitely only want to do once
Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Headlight Switch – How to Replace

I replaced the headlight switch and vacuum hoses in my 1970 Corvette, it was not nearly as big as job as some make it out to be. I did this write up after I finished to help others.

Disconnect the battery.

Removed the A/C duct from under dash. Mine just slide out but I believe there is supposed to be a screw holding it in. I don't know what's under a non A/C cars dash.

Remove the drivers side kick panel (couple of screws).

Drop the steering column by removing the two bolts under the dash pad. This will allow the steering column to lower about 2".

Remove all the dash pad screws, this allows the dash pad to slide out and down to gain access to the headlight switch. You should have a couple of inches of space to work with from the left side. Be careful with the dash pad as it's brittle and will break easy. If you need more room you could remove the steering column bolts at the firewall and gain a little more room, I didn't have to do this.

At this point you should be able to reach in with a set of needle nose pliers and unplug the vacuum hoses.

Next unplug the electrical connection.

Next you remove the headlight switch ****, and there is a trick to it. Pull the headlight **** to the ON position. Reach under the switch and there is a small button. Push the button in and than you can pull the **** the rest of the way out. This is really easy if you have a new switch in your hand to see where the button is located.

After the **** is removed you will see a big retainer nut that can be removed with a large flat blade screw driver. Once the retainer nut is removed the headlight switch will slide out.

I also replaced my vacuum control lines at this time. I broke off a golf tee and plugged the new line to the old line. I than reached under the dash and pulled the new line through using the old line. I took about 10 minutes to replace the vacuum hoses.

I replaced the entire headlight switch and vacuum hoses in about an hour and I'd never done it before.

I bought a quality made in the USA switch as I didn't want to do this again. It cost about twice what the crappy Chinese switch cost.

Get notified of new replies

To headlight switch

Quick Reply: headlight switch