C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things changing

Old 07-16-2017, 09:25 AM
upnorth
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Things changing

My car has a chambered exhaust system i like the sound it has a real good rumble to it . Usually when i pull in a lot with people in it the older folks will say boy does that sound good and ask what year etc. The other day i pulled in a lot and there was a couple newer cars tricked with kids parked with the stereos blasting . When i got out of the car one of the kids asked me what was wrong with my car does the exhaust have holes in it . I said no just smiled and went on my way , they were gone when i came back out . When i was there age a long time ago when i heard a car like mine i went up to it and wanted to know everything about it . The more it rumbled the more i liked it . And still do .
Old 07-16-2017, 11:09 AM
vbgod1
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

It's not the car, with this bunch, it's the sound system. A rusted out 71 Pinto, with a $1000+ sound system is more interesting to them. Many kids don't have the background, or interest, to understand what you have.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Shdggsdv
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorth
My car has a chambered exhaust system i like the sound it has a real good rumble to it . Usually when i pull in a lot with people in it the older folks will say boy does that sound good and ask what year etc. The other day i pulled in a lot and there was a couple newer cars tricked with kids parked with the stereos blasting . When i got out of the car one of the kids asked me what was wrong with my car does the exhaust have holes in it . I said no just smiled and went on my way , they were gone when i came back out . When i was there age a long time ago when i heard a car like mine i went up to it and wanted to know everything about it . The more it rumbled the more i liked it . And still do .
A lot of younger people are just never exposed to cars that sound like modified classics. I know for me - long ago before I got into cars, I didn't know any better either. I guess it's just the nature of current times because of how rare V8s are becoming, much less modified V8s. Younger people just aren't getting exposed to it how we all feel they should

Last edited by Shdggsdv; 07-17-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:17 PM
Knerf
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

its not just kids, its general ignorance. There is a guy i work with that is about 10 years my senior, early 50's, has never driven anything over 4-5 years old as long as i have known him.

my car has a rather rough idle with the way it is built, sounds beastly and turns heads wherever it is heard. i started it up for him one day at work and let it idle for a few seconds, his words "sounds like ****, why is it missing"

i shook my head and asked if he ever owned anything with a V8 in his life, he hadn't...

so its not just the kids out there that don't know what the sound of a real car is, just people that haven't been exposed to it.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Its just different priorities, for them all they cared about was stereos , for others its how big is their wing, how narrow of a tire can they stretch on a wheel, how high or low it sits, how big their wheels are, or how much their wheels point at the sky like satellite dishes. The crowds being loud with stereos or revving the **** out of the engines in parking lots are the wrong type of people. The people you are talking about meet at the track or remote parking lot locations, to avoid drawing attention to themselves, for spirited driving comparisons. Just have to know when and where to look.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:42 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Several years ago I pulled into a gas station with my '63 convert. a kid in his teens or early 20's come over and say "Wow man, nice car, this must be like a 1935 or something right?" I just looked at him, grinned and said "Yeah, you guessed it"
Old 07-18-2017, 03:24 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
Its just different priorities, for them all they cared about was stereos , for others its how big is their wing, how narrow of a tire can they stretch on a wheel, how high or low it sits, how big their wheels are, or how much their wheels point at the sky like satellite dishes. The crowds being loud with stereos or revving the **** out of the engines in parking lots are the wrong type of people.
You need a blow off valve to impress kids nowadays. They have no idea what a 3/4 race cam is or what it sounds like.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I have young people commenting positively on my car and the way it sounds almost every time I drive it. America sounds like it's in a sad state, still plenty of young v8 lovers here... The 'tuner types' still appreciate it too (as I appreciate their cars - maybe that's the problem). I encountered some "kids with newer cars with stereos" who asked me to give it a rev as I drove past them in a carpark last week.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 07-18-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:11 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1M21Vette
You need a blow off valve to impress kids nowadays. They have no idea what a 3/4 race cam is or what it sounds like.
I know what you mean by 3/4 race cam but find the notion of it as ridiculous as an RV cam. Everyone will tell you they have one of the above but no idea of the specs on them. I always chalked it up to someone that didnt know what they were talking about and trying to impress someone.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kacyc3
I know what you mean by 3/4 race cam but find the notion of it as ridiculous as an RV cam. Everyone will tell you they have one of the above but no idea of the specs on them. I always chalked it up to someone that didnt know what they were talking about and trying to impress someone.
I know what "3/4 race cam'' meant and how it was used back in the late 70's...and it makes me laugh my backside off when I hear it today.

My friends back in the day would constantly say that. Like it really made them seem like they know what they had...and some had a ''full race cam''.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Things changing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things changing