C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 04:06 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
As stated by a couple of other members in this thread....I cannot stress the importance of correct timing on overall engine performance which includes cooling. I would hope your mechanic would start here. The reason you SHOULD start here is because for one thing it is free/cheap.....the other is once it is right, then you can go determine if chasing fans and radiators will be beneficial. A good mechanic would go here first and if your mechanic scoffs at it, find another. Also, if the mechanics claims to be able to set timing by ear, lose his/her number.
After timing is set, have them perform the idle screw adjustment just for the hell of it. The two go hand in hand.
Do you have any pics of the engine compartment?
Good luck to you and post your results!

Jebby

Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,692 Likes on 2,935 Posts

After you check the timing and other things mentioned in this thread, I would check to see if you could find documentation on the water pump, fans and the radiator itself.
Post what you can find and we can go from there.
Do you know the age, material or anything else regarding the radiator?
Old 01-17-2019, 06:19 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

you need a shroud so you pull air thru entire radiator and enough cfm to cool 500hp.... I have a 383 with 525 hp and mine never goes over 190* , in 110* heat in traffic with A/C on
Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

first you need to install the core support seals and radiator seals, most of the air while driving is bypassing the radiator and passing over the top of the core support and around the radiator. While sitting the air is circulating from the engine bay back over the top of the radiator and back through the radiator (hot air).

You need the seals,

Neal
Old 01-17-2019, 08:58 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Shroud

Originally Posted by DaveL82
If the fans are mounted to the rad and you have open areas on the rad I had the same issue. Stock system requires ALL foam to seal air leaks in place.

I now run a dewitts aluminum rad but the ticket was their shroud that includes 2 fans. No dead areas as it draws over the entire rad.
agreed... looking online for a shroud. Mechanic coming tomorrow to help with exact measurements etc. thanks for great advice.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Radiator

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
After you check the timing and other things mentioned in this thread, I would check to see if you could find documentation on the water pump, fans and the radiator itself.
Post what you can find and we can go from there.
Do you know the age, material or anything else regarding the radiator?
Radiator is new along with fans. I’ve talked with my mechanics and very strongly reminded them this is not the typical Chevy they work on. This is American muscle and has special needs. I sent them comments from the forum to and I think we are on the same page. We’re looking for a shroud for the fans. Mechanic assured me he is positive that is the right water pump. I’ll force the issues if I have to. I’ve managed $10million projects so I’m not threatened by a couple of guys spending my money. Any rate I could not have done this without all you guys on this forum so many thanks.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Shroud

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
you need a shroud so you pull air thru entire radiator and enough cfm to cool 500hp.... I have a 383 with 525 hp and mine never goes over 190* , in 110* heat in traffic with A/C on
Agree. Looking for a shroud to fit now. Good advice. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 PM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Seals

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
first you need to install the core support seals and radiator seals, most of the air while driving is bypassing the radiator and passing over the top of the core support and around the radiator. While sitting the air is circulating from the engine bay back over the top of the radiator and back through the radiator (hot air).

You need the seals,

Neal
Where can I learn more about seals? Apparently the last guy who actually installed the radiator didn’t install any. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

"Positive that is the right water pump"? That's b.s. Tell him to verify that. If it's a regular rotation water pump and he's spinning in reverse rotation with that serpentine setup, then you're going to have the exact same problems you're describing.

Originally Posted by Penelopegirl

Radiator is new along with fans. I’ve talked with my mechanics and very strongly reminded them this is not the typical Chevy they work on. This is American muscle and has special needs. I sent them comments from the forum to and I think we are on the same page. We’re looking for a shroud for the fans. Mechanic assured me he is positive that is the right water pump. I’ll force the issues if I have to. I’ve managed $10million projects so I’m not threatened by a couple of guys spending my money. Any rate I could not have done this without all you guys on this forum so many thanks.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

A statement below stood out.... If you are going to some mechanic that only works on the newer computer controlled systems, then they might have a tough ascertaining the issues with your older SBC system. This is not terribly difficult to troubleshoot, so if these guys cannot figure it out promptly, then you may wish to take your car elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Doug1
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
A statement below stood out.... If you are going to some mechanic that only works on the newer computer controlled systems, then they might have a tough ascertaining the issues with your older SBC system. This is not terribly difficult to troubleshoot, so if these guys cannot figure it out promptly, then you may wish to take your car elsewhere.

I also see that her location is Florida as well. I took my thermostat out years ago for better flow, not really needed here in Florida, it's plenty hot here.

Last edited by Doug1; 01-18-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Where can I learn more about seals? Apparently the last guy who actually installed the radiator didn’t install any. Thank you.
Here are the seal kits that were offered for the '78...
https://www.corvettecentral.com/search?CurrentSearchCategoryId=&q=radiat or+seal&Years=1978

You can get generic brand foam from Home Depot and make seals also.

Last edited by Street Rat; 01-18-2019 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
chevymans 77 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:09 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Street Rat
Here are the seal kits that were offered for the '78...
https://www.corvettecentral.com/search?CurrentSearchCategoryId=&q=radiat or+seal&Years=1978

You can get generic brand foam from Home Depot and make seals also.
That's what I have with my Summit Radiator and Mark 8 Fan. If nothing else just for you to check it is making a difference. You can always exchange them later if it matters to you.

Last edited by carriljc; 01-18-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:15 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...itioning-78-78
https://willcoxcorvette.com/corvette...ning-76l-76-78

Depending on your cars options,

The gap over the radiator and between the hood has to be sealed so air will be forced through the radiator and condenser. Air will take the path of least resistance, around the radiator. Also there are gaps on the sides of the radiator at the core support that need to be sealed, the idea is to make all the air pass through the radiator.

This may not cure all your cooling issues but it is the first item that needs to be fixed, wont know until this is taken care of.

Neal

Last edited by chevymans 77; 01-18-2019 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Doug1 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 10:24 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Doug1

I also see that her location is Florida as well. I took my thermostat out years ago for better flow, not really needed here in Florida, it's plenty hot here.
Yep.--- When I lived in the desert I did not run a thermostat. Never cared much until I was in Bremerton and my car would not warm up. After I lived there a couple of weeks -- then I put a thermostat back in then.

Last edited by carriljc; 01-20-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Doug1
Safety Car

The gap over the radiator and between the hood has to be sealed so air will be forced through the radiator and condenser. Air will take the path of least resistance, around the radiator. Also there are gaps on the sides of the radiator at the core support that need to be sealed, the idea is to make all the air pass through the radiator.
Great looking engine btw penelope.

This may not cure all your cooling issues but it is the first item that needs to be fixed, wont know until this is taken care of.

Neal
Hmm, thanks for this info, I learn something new everyday! I put in an aluminum radiator a long time ago with electric fans. I don't have this foam insulation on top of radiator. I don't have a shroud, just two fans. It can get a little warm sitting at lights for too long in the summer, but nothing crazy. I have a 383 stroker as well. I don't really drive it all that much. Having said that, I do not think that in the middle of the summer that I could get stuck in some crazy traffic jam and be ok with the temp, I think it would climb. I have a mesh screen as the front license plate to allow air flow when driving, it's fine then. I do have the stock cast iron heads that I ported and polished, I think that helps with the heat dissipation over aluminum heads, but I could be wrong.
This is a good thread.
Great looking engine btw Penelope.

Last edited by Doug1; 01-18-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Setup?

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
Im trying to gather as much info as I can. What setup are you using for shroud/fans? Recommendations? I ordered an aluminum shroud but I’m worried if my fans have enough cfm . Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling issue

Old 01-20-2019, 09:51 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Seals

Neal
Good to know. Can you post a photo or a link where I can see what the seals look like installed. I’m finding pictures help me convince my mechanic to make changes without an hour of discussion. Thank you
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Penelopegirl
Advanced

Default Rad?

Originally Posted by DaveL82
If the fans are mounted to the rad and you have open areas on the rad I had the same issue. Stock system requires ALL foam to seal air leaks in place.

I now run a dewitts aluminum rad but the ticket was their shroud that includes 2 fans. No dead areas as it draws over the entire rad.
Which radiator do you run? I’m starting to question a lot of work that was done when I wasn’t watching closely. Now I feel like I need to validate the parts they’ve used. What specs should I be using? Does that make sense?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:12 AM
Doug1
Safety Car

Well Penelope you've had a lot of ideas thrown at you. Get the shroud and existing fans installed and see what happens. That's my advice.
I don't have a shroud for my fans, but I also don't have any of my ac parts, the condensor sits in front of radiator and hinders air flow. Since I don't have that, my car does ok with temp. Since you have ac, the shroud is gonna get you that air flow that is probably lacking.

Last edited by Doug1; 01-20-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Cooling issue