C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:36 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Dub, your making it sound difficult when it's not. I'm still using my 40+ year old throttle cable, a Mr Gasket accelerator cable bracket and a Holley throttle connector for the end of the accelerator cable. Nothing exotic, difficult or expensive.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:12 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
On a properly tuned engine how the engine initially fires has little to nothing to do with the choke.
I run with no choke and it never has any issue firing up.

After it fires up now the choke comes into play with how it will idle while cold.

The fuel bowl on these carbs are open bowls. That means exposed to the atmosphere. This being the case fuel easily evaporates out of the bowl.
You may have no leaks in your bowl, but after running the car there is significant heat remaining from the engine that facilitates evaporation. Add to that an extended time of no running the fuel continues to evaporate from the bowl.

So next time you go to start your bowl may be low or empty depending on how long it sat.

Crank the engine for 10 seconds and the fuel pump should fill it sufficiently to now pump the throttle say 3 to 5 times and then it should fire up due to accelerator pump introducing fuel from you pumping the throttle.

Choke plays little to no part in this process.
This is pretty much what I do.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Dub, your making it sound difficult when it's not. I'm still using my 40+ year old throttle cable, a Mr Gasket accelerator cable bracket and a Holley throttle connector for the end of the accelerator cable. Nothing exotic, difficult or expensive.
Well because it can be. A person can not assume that every person has the abilities that they have. Which is proof why I do this for people who can not do it themselves.

Not everybody has the ability to problem solve or buy the parts that will work and have to 'tweak' things to work....and still have to look good.

And my comments are for those people. For those of you who can do this...then you also understand that it does take more than just pulling off a carb and putting a completely different one on expecting that you do not need anything else.

DUB
Old 11-09-2017, 08:36 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

I'm speaking to the crowd who are willing to learn and do it themselves. It's not rocket science. Those not willing keep you employed.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:16 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB

I put one of these on a guys Corvette a few years ago...but he changed the air cleaner and the hood was not stock.

Are you still able to us the factory air cleaner...under an original hood???

DUB
Yes, the dual snorkel cold air GM factory cold air intake assembly for the 78 L-82
Old 11-10-2017, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
I'm speaking to the crowd who are willing to learn and do it themselves. It's not rocket science. Those not willing keep you employed.
And so am I....and I am also 'speaking' to those who do not wan tot learn. All they want is that it gets fixed with the least amount of effort due to their current skill level.

I agree it is not rocket science. But it is also not like putting two Legos together either. And that is all I was trying to convey that the part is just not going to fall out of the box and on the car without some effort and alterations.

Not that may of this matter to you but I deal with many different types of people...some who want to learn and are willing to do it themselves even when I take time out to tell them how to do it and I do not make jack squat off of it....and others who drive their Corvette to me so I can replace a fuse in the fuse panel or replace a burnt out taillight bulb that only take using a Phillips head screwdriver to service. And this is teh reason I respond the way that I do.

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
Yes, the dual snorkel cold air GM factory cold air intake assembly for the 78 L-82
Thanks and good to know.

DUB
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 AM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

JB - welcome from another owner of a 78 L82. I for one suggest keeping it stock. The Quadra jet is a great carb for what I know. But I know more about women than carbs or transmissions. My wife questions how I know which key to use to start it.

First thing is write to Lars and request his tech bulletin HOW TO TUNE A Q-JET. V8FastCars@msn.com. At the very least you will get an appreciation of a qjet and not call it junk anymore. You may have a bad accelerator pump from ethanol gas. Could be a leaking fuel bowl but I think that is rare. Could be saturated floats. Might be a bad choke setting or a bad vacuum leak leaning out the fuel mixture so much that it won't start. Could be none of the above as like others have said, including Lars in his bulletin, operator error starting a carburetor engine. I forgot what it was like before fuel injection became standard. Could be gas siphoning through the fuel pump.

Too much for me and I sent my carb to Lars. Well worth the cost. There was a lot wrong with my carb from a PO rebuild and it works fine now.

But a cold start after sitting a long time is still hard UNLESS I DO AS DUB SUGGESTS ABOVE. pump the accelerator a couple of times and crank it. Then maybe pump it another time. Started just fine yesterday after sitting for a week and it below 30 degrees!
Old 11-11-2017, 12:34 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Fix it....The fuel injection route is for the guys that can't figure out run a carb....

Quick Reply: Fix or upgrade?