C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM
san
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default power steering pump

Hello, looking for some input on a 1978 corvette fan belt system. Acording to the specs the inner pulley or pulley number 1 is for alternator, 2 for ac, and 3 for power steering....is that correct? Also, the PS pump is a saginaw i believe, threaded shaft, and it seems setting the pump all the way out to make belts look perfect is extremely close to front cross member, and it appear the altwlernator belt willnrub on PS pump housing...ive been trying to use puller number 2 for alternator(ac not on car) by shimming the Alt mounts out further. It would seem that using a smaller pulley on. PS pump would allow better clearance, and if possible offset the PS pulley to allow ALT to return to pulley 1...is it possible the pullry is wrong on the pump? I belive its original. The sure cure would likely just be a different offset on PS pump but it would also need to be slightly smaller...something doesnt seem right...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Brian79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by san
Hello, looking for some input on a 1978 corvette fan belt system. According to the specs the inner pulley or pulley number 1 is for alternator, 2 for ac, and 3 for power steering....is that correct? ...
I believe your right as far as the belts go. This may help.
The pic are of a 1979

After water pump replacement

Old 11-10-2017, 06:05 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It appears from the photos that the power steering pump is sticking out about 1/8" too far. Are there washers or shims that you can remove from under the mounting flange/tabs?
Old 11-10-2017, 08:21 AM
san
Instructor

I actually shimmed mine out two washers thick to make it ride on the pulley straighter. But in doing so if alternator runds on first pulley its going to rub on PS pump housing. Every single gm car or truck ive owned i had to make adjustments to get belts to run straight. Im thinking someone may have damaged/bent the PS pulley on mine. I had to straighten it slightly, but now im wondering if they bent it beofre i got it and had straigthened it the wrong way...
Old 11-11-2017, 09:06 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Sorry, but I think your method of determining 'alignment' may be off. If it is by "eyeball", the simple aspect of 'perspective' might be throwing you off. My suggestion is to remove the [unneeded] washers and see how it works. From your photos, I think it will be OK. If there is some kind of interference, see if shortening or lengthening the P/S belt a bit might solve that issue. With the correct belt, the P/S pump should be on the tight-side of center position. (A new belt will stretch a bit upon use; and that will require a re-tightening of the belt after a week or so. Then the adjustment should be near the center position.)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:10 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
It appears from the photos that the power steering pump is sticking out about 1/8" too far. Are there washers or shims that you can remove from under the mounting flange/tabs?
OP is a '78. Example photos from '79.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:19 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

(Poop! I thought those were pics of his car... )
Old 11-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Brian79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Hi,
The photos in question, are not of the OP. The photos, are from my 79, which I posted to confirm his question as to belt configuration (post#1). In regards to "Looks like it's sticking out 1/8" to far" there are no shims, it is an original set-up it may be camera angle making it look as such, have never had a problem. Just trying to clarify what's what here

Thanks Brian 79
Old 11-11-2017, 09:46 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,634 Posts

The alignment of those PS pulleys compared to the crank pulley never look right to me. Off just a little, just like mine. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though.
The following users liked this post:
Brian79 (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:40 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
The alignment of those PS pulleys compared to the crank pulley never look right to me. Off just a little, just like mine. Doesn't seem to hurt anything though.
The OP says he has a threaded shaft on the ps pump, 74 should have been the last year for that pump. Yours should look just like the pictures above.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 AM
san
Instructor

Originally Posted by '75
The OP says he has a threaded shaft on the ps pump, 74 should have been the last year for that pump. Yours should look just like the pictures above.
Yes i believe the pump was changed, although i have the correct mounting hardware installed for my 78, maybe someone swapped pump and used original hardware. Im not 100 percent sure what has been done. Doesnt really make sence to have an early saginaw pump on a 78 does it?? I should mention also, car is a silver anniversary edition, so maybe they came with that style pump.

Last edited by san; 11-12-2017 at 10:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To power steering pump

Quick Reply: power steering pump