C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake ducts

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:16 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
George,
What's the deal with the sway bar link having a spring in leau of a spacer?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
George,
What's the deal with the sway bar link having a spring in leau of a spacer?
I have front and rear spring end links on the sway bars for adjustability. 1 1/8TH Front 3/4 rear. You can tighten to make it solid or loosen to allow some vertical wheel travel before the sway bars come into effect

you can hit a pot hole or a bump and no sway bar loading or on a road racing track hitting the corner apex cement rumble strips. You want to allow wheel travel in a stiffly sprung car. In the rear it keeps you from being tail happy as is the case when using too large of diameter bar without sticky enough rear tires

my front end is totally lightened without all the heavy metal, head lights, vacuum tank, and thinner fiber glass blue front springs are 600# and rear 520# custom mono
Old 12-28-2017, 01:27 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been digging through my old photos of my actual duct work. I have been using Photobucket for ever and you can't copy all your pictures off their site. It saves them as an unusable format.

But anyway, on the front I had NACA screened scoops from I think speedway motors, three inch hoses, I ovalled a three inch pipe directing air to the center of the rotor. three inch is twice the air of a 2 inch setup and I had very little in the way of bends, it was kind of rounded curve from the front.

These pictures I had it all apart to regrease the bearings. You have to use high temp bearing grease because so much heat gets transferred to the spindle that the grease melt and comes out

Interesting looking caliper mounting brackets. What are they?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:52 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gg521
Interesting looking caliper mounting brackets. What are they?
They were made by a fellow forum member for installing big Wilwood brakes. He was selling the brackets for 13.06 & 14 inch rotor diameters.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

are you going to keep racing???? if not then you are going to do a lot of work for not much advantage later, also a lot of cash going down the drain. Our club used to do a lot of autocrossing, then everyone got to doing other things, lost interest and even the club disbanded!!!

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 12-29-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
are you going to keep racing???? if not then you are going to do a lot of work for not much advantage later, also a lot of cash going down the drain. Our club used to do a lot of autocrossing, then everyone got to doing other things, lost interest and even the club disbanded!!!
With the declining economics our local 4.2 mile road race track closed. actually the builder promotor was a con man that took all the investors and then the corporation declared bankruptcy. Very sad story

But anyway for a pure street driven Vette it is still a good time. I've only removed three items. The spray fire system, 4 quart accusump because they took up the passenger seat area. I removed the air ducts
Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by 69427
Room near the spindles is really tight in my case. I'm running a '96 C4 suspension up front (but with 11.75" rotors so my stock C3 wheels can still fit), and I have yet to figure out how to get a duct hose snaked into there. So the setup I'm using is some aluminum and plastic sheet attached to the lower A-arm, formed in the shape of a spoiler/ramp, to divert undercar air towards the center of the brake rotor. In addition to that I'm running SS shims between the pads and pistons (with Wilwood calipers) to impede heat flow to the caliper, and hi-temp brake fluid. The Pace car front spoiler also helps to pull air from the wheels/rotors due to the side shape of the spoiler, which directs frontal air sideways, causing a low pressure area at the outer sides of the front wheels.

I'm using Wilwood pads (B compound) that work very well, although they are a bit rough on the rotors.
Ah yeh, I do think I remember seeing a picture on a previous thread now that you describe it. I was remembering that you had c4 suspension, but from memory thought you still ran c3 type brakes?

I've been digging through my old photos of my actual duct work. I have been using Photobucket for ever and you can't copy all your pictures off their site. It saves them as an unusable format.

But anyway, on the front I had NACA screened scoops from I think speedway motors, three inch hoses, I ovalled a three inch pipe directing air to the center of the rotor. three inch is twice the air of a 2 inch setup and I had very little in the way of bends, it was kind of rounded curve from the front.

These pictures I had it all apart to regrease the bearings. You have to use high temp bearing grease because so much heat gets transferred to the spindle that the grease melt and comes out
Thanks gkull.

When photobucket started their ransom demands, I was able to download all of my photos by album as .zip files, have they taken that away?

My closest proper circuit is a 2 hour drive away, but a circuit is currently being built only about 10 minutes away, where there is currently a hillclimb track. It's scheduled to open late in 2018, I can't wait!

Originally Posted by lvmyvt76
Yep. I've been competing in motorsport events since I was 12, for over 20 years. I love it, and while I might gravitate towards using another of my cars more, I am not making any changes that take it away from being an enjoyable street car - I put nearly 12,000 miles on it in the last 12 months, and it was in the paint shop for 3 of those months! I may put a cage in and make some other changes that will have the potential to reduce its streetability in the future, but it would be a bolt in cage, and all will be relatively easily reversible changes. I'm considering running a Targa tarmac road rally in it some time in the next few years too. I'm hoping to run the state hillclimb championship, and maybe the state supersprint championship in 2018.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 12-29-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake ducts