C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower shock mount nut size.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:31 AM
vetski179
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Lower shock mount nut size.

Anyone know the size of the nut pictured?
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2017, 07:13 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi v,
It's a 5/8"x18 slotted nut.
It didn't typically have the flat washer shown in your photo.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-27-2017 at 07:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vetski179 (12-27-2017)
Old 12-27-2017, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree ..there is no flat washer....BUT...with some of the new lower shock bolts...they seem to sometimes NOT drill the hole in the correct location for the cotter pin...so when the castle nut is tightened to correct torque specs...the hole for the cotter pin is past the castellation of the nut. Thus..a washer may be required.

And for what this is worth:

IF you removed this lower shock bolt to install the strut rod assembly. And the splines on the shaft of the lower shock bolt that go into the bearing support housing. IF these splines are really worn down and you can easily install the lower shock bolt and it goes in with an easy tap of a hammer. ( Obviously I test this with no strut rod in the way). I would HIGHLY advise you replace it with a new lower shock bolt with GOOD splines on the shaft. This is so the splines can BITE into the casting and hold...much like a wheel stud does.

IF the lower shock bolt has worn out splines and even if the castle nut is tightened to GM specs...it is possible...because I have seen it...that the bouncing of the rear suspension and with the shock absorber attached to the lower shock bolt can twist/rotate.

YES..I am aware that the end of the lower shock bolt has a flat spot on it so it is keyed so it can go in only one way...but the key way is not so precise that it will stop this movement...and actually...the bolt is soft metal and can actually distort...which I have also seen.

DUB
Old 03-17-2024, 03:31 PM
PDX_Kevin
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
IF you removed this lower shock bolt to install the strut rod assembly. And the splines on the shaft of the lower shock bolt that go into the bearing support housing. IF these splines are really worn down and you can easily install the lower shock bolt and it goes in with an easy tap of a hammer. ( Obviously I test this with no strut rod in the way). I would HIGHLY advise you replace it with a new lower shock bolt with GOOD splines on the shaft. This is so the splines can BITE into the casting and hold...much like a wheel stud does.

IF the lower shock bolt has worn out splines and even if the castle nut is tightened to GM specs...it is possible...because I have seen it...that the bouncing of the rear suspension and with the shock absorber attached to the lower shock bolt can twist/rotate.
DUB
I’m installing a new shock bolt into a new Vansteel assembly and I hit the torque spec before the nut was seated enough to expose the cotter pin hole. It seems the splines might be preventing the bolt from going in farther. I’m about to jack the whole thing up to change the angle to see if that helps free it up, but I wanted expert opinions first. What’s the best way to proceed here? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2024, 08:10 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

7 year old thread, last posted to by a deceased member 4 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Lower shock mount nut size.

Quick Reply: Lower shock mount nut size.