C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement carb for 1979 L48

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
There is rebuilt and then there is REBUILT. A major difference.

One company may consider "rebuilt" as cleaning it and throwing a new gasket/seal kit in it.

A good rebuild service will also measure for warp/leakages, validate it functions as should/make adjustments as needed, tune to your specific engine specs, etc. Probably 3-4 hours of billable work.

If someone offers a "rebuilt" carb for $100 + exchange then that means they spent about 20-30 minutes on it.

Sending a carb to LARS or anyone that is intimately knowledgeable of the operation and gotchas is money well spent. (disclosure: I do not know LARS as I do my own work but lots of positive threads here about his work)
Doesn't answer my question. I know all that. I specifically was curious as to why he said to buy a rebuild kit if it's the original carb, BUT send it to Lars if it is a replacement carb.
Why not just send either carb to Lars?
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the carb is original to the car and has not been rebuilt by some "shop", the carb is likely in its original configuration. That being the case, rebuilding it YOURSELF with a good quality rebuild kit is very doable.

It the carb has been sent to a rebuild shop, you have no idea of what parts got used to rebuild it. These shops don't usually just rebuild YOUR carb; they replace your carb with a rebuilt unit of [approximately] the same configuration. A correctly rebuilt carb is what you want.

If the carb has been altered, sending it to Lars is a good idea. He knows what parts are correct for your carb and can refurbish it to correct configuration. YOU cannot do that. Hence, my alternative recommendations...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If the carb is original to the car and has not been rebuilt by some "shop", the carb is likely in its original configuration. That being the case, rebuilding it YOURSELF with a good quality rebuild kit is very doable.

It the carb has been sent to a rebuild shop, you have no idea of what parts got used to rebuild it. These shops don't usually just rebuild YOUR carb; they replace your carb with a rebuilt unit of [approximately] the same configuration. A correctly rebuilt carb is what you want.

If the carb has been altered, sending it to Lars is a good idea. He knows what parts are correct for your carb and can refurbish it to correct configuration. YOU cannot do that. Hence, my alternative recommendations...

If it were me, I'd send it to Lars regardless.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by F4Gary

If it were me, I'd send it to Lars regardless.

Unless you have experience with Qjet rebuilds, I would not mess with doing it yourself...too many possibilities for it to go wrong........
Old 01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt

Lars was employed at GM in the Q-Jet dept.
He will fix your carb correctly.
Just curious, was he originally from Rochester, NY?
Old 01-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Just curious, was he originally from Rochester, NY?
Norway.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Update on Phil's carb:
Phil ended up sending the carb out to me. The carb had the following issues:
  • Very loose secondary spring windup. This would have caused a horrible tip-in stumble going into the secondaries
  • Very high fast idle - fast idle set to 1550 rpm
  • Accel pump rod installed in wrong hole - lean accel pump shot that would have caused a stumble
  • Lean jetted for application
  • Accel pump diaphragm collapsed - inoperative
  • Extreme low float level - extreme lean condition
  • Low APT setting - lean
  • Choke shaft seals broken causing dirt ingestion into carb
  • Idle mixture screws fully backed out beyond operating range in an attempt to fix the lean conditions caused by the above issues
  • Secondary airvalves jamming and binding against airhorn casting
  • Significant sooting in throttle bores indicating engine timing issues

After a complete teardown, the carb was run through the hot tank for cleanup. These dirty, original, unmolested carbs are always the best carbs for rebuild, and the carb cleaned up so nicely it almost looked new.

I did a slight re-jet of the carb to better match his application, and then corrected all the setup issues with a nice performance calibration. The carb really ran well on the test engine, with all air/fuel numbers hitting right on the desired specs.

Phil reports that he simply installed the carb on his engine and that it fired and ran immediately, coming down off cold fast idle as the engine warmed up and running perfectly. He's now verifying timing and tuning, and has a nice running Vette - nice job on the install and setup, Phil!

Lars
The following 3 users liked this post by lars:
craig1952 (10-10-2020), Philgran (02-09-2018), TinCanSailor (12-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:56 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Norway.
And 'Rochester Products', the carburetor manufacturing facility of GM, located in Rochester, NY, also made carbs in Norway??
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

No, they made Lars in Norway.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Phil's carb after rebuild by Lars.

Originally Posted by lars
Update on Phil's carb:
  • Very loose secondary spring windup. This would have caused a horrible tip-in stumble going into the secondaries
  • Accel pump rod installed in wrong hole - lean accel pump shot that would have caused a stumble
  • Low APT setting - lean
  • Idle mixture screws fully backed out beyond operating range in an attempt to fix the lean conditions caused by the above issues

After a complete teardown, the carb was run through the hot tank for cleanup. These dirty, original, unmolested carbs are always the best carbs for rebuild, and the carb cleaned up so nicely it almost looked new.

I did a slight re-jet of the carb to better match his application, and then corrected all the setup issues with a nice performance calibration. The carb really ran well on the test engine, with all air/fuel numbers hitting right on the desired specs.

Phil reports that he simply installed the carb on his engine and that it fired and ran immediately, coming down off cold fast idle as the engine warmed up and running perfectly. He's now verifying timing and tuning, and has a nice running Vette - nice job on the install and setup, Phil!

Lars
I would like to re-echo my praise for the services Lars provided when he rebuilt my Rochester Q-Jet. Besides doing an excellent job on the carb, he also provided me with a great deal of technical information and advice on how to best set up my car to reach its maximum capabilities so I could have even more fun with it.
The following users liked this post:
TinCanSailor (12-12-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:16 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Update on Phil's carb:
  • Low APT setting - lean

Lars
Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I have a quadrajet that fit my 76, rebuilt from Holly, ran for about 300 miles,taken off when my carb was sent back from being restored. PM me if you are interested. I am NOT saying it is the correct carb for your, since there is age difference and carbs change from year to year and even sometimes changed during a year run. I can send pictures if interested, just Pm me your phone number.

You can not beat the way Lars rebuilds the carbs!!!!!IMO

Last edited by lvmyvt76; 02-09-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:03 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Update on Phil's carb:
  • Low APT setting - lean

Lars
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^is why I said that if you are going to have it rebuilt, LARS is the man to do it and why I say that to rebuild it correctly, I would not recommend doing it yourself since it can be complicated and not straightforward like a Holley carb, as an example.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:05 AM
gjjcvette
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carb 1978 L48 tuning

Originally Posted by stingr69
That Holley is easier to modify as compared to the Quadrajet but if you like to just drive a well running car the Quadrajet works best. I do run Holleys on other cars but the Quadrajet is the best carb for "set it up and forget about it" closed hood drivers. They work great when clean and adjusted right. California emissions calibration may be a bit too lean but nothing that could not be fixed when it is apart.

Send it to Lars is my advice. I carried mine to him years ago and it still works great.
Just bought a 1978 with the L48. Don't have a clue on tuning the carb. If I have the carb set up correctly (eg. sent to Lars), how long do you believe it will stay tuned for a guy like me: a " closed hood" daily driver.

Last edited by gjjcvette; 10-10-2020 at 08:06 AM. Reason: typo
Philgran (10-19-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by gjjcvette
Just bought a 1978 with the L48. Don't have a clue on tuning the carb. If I have the carb set up correctly (eg. sent to Lars), how long do you believe it will stay tuned for a guy like me: a " closed hood" daily driver.
2 year old thread but I will throw my opinion in anyway. There are a ton of variables but generally speaking, for a weekend driver, my experience is that you can count on a carb to stay in good condition for about 5-8 years before it needs to be looked at again. Daily driver is more like 4-5 years. YMMV.

Last edited by Dynra Rockets; 10-10-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Philgran
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I sent the Quadra jet carb from my 1979 Corvette to Lars for rebuild. I was absolutely satisfied by his work. He gave me some helpful advice. We bolted it on following his instructions and up she fired. He has a test engine on which he tests every carb to ensure It is working correctly. I give him two thumbs up. I was directed to him by members of the forum.
interpon (10-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Replacement carb for 1979 L48