C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring help for 1971 Corvette Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Steve0923@yahoo.com
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring help for 1971 Corvette Stingray

I need help with the wiring connections for the main center console under the shifting plate.

There are several colored wires and I need to know what they are and where they should be connected to and if the wire needs grounding where would be the best place to do that, where is light for the console and how that is connected.

I also need to know when I open my door which lights should come on and where those wires are connected to.

i would also like to know how to pull forward the center gauge cluster so I can replace lights with LED lights.

Where and how is the cargo light and storage boxes (box for battery & locked storage box) lights, how and where they are connected to?

i would like to find someone in the Las Vegas, NV area who is experienced with 1968-1972 wiring to contact me as I am willing to pay an affordable price to help with the above items.
My cell number is 757-329-0952 and my name is Steve, thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Steve,
How to answer?.....
are you thinking about working on some of these things yourself or just looking for someone to take you car to?
Regards,
Alan

The wires under the console could be for the lamps for the heater/defroster control and cigarette lighter.
Another could be for the cigarette lighter element.

The door jamb switches turn on the courtesy lamps under each side of the dash and the lamp on the back wall of the rear compartment.

You have to be VERY careful working on the center cluster bezel. It's surprising easy to break. Do you have a 71 Assembly Instruction Manual to refer to?

Only the center glove box has a lamp in it. The lamp is illuminated when the compartment door is opened. The wiring is part of the rear lighting harness.

Last edited by Alan 71; 02-23-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

send me an airplane ticket & I will come out and rewire the complete car!!!!!
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve0923@yahoo.com
I need help with the wiring connections for the main center console under the shifting plate.

There are several colored wires and I need to know what they are and where they should be connected to and if the wire needs grounding where would be the best place to do that, where is light for the console and how that is connected.

I also need to know when I open my door which lights should come on and where those wires are connected to.

i would also like to know how to pull forward the center gauge cluster so I can replace lights with LED lights.

Where and how is the cargo light and storage boxes (box for battery & locked storage box) lights, how and where they are connected to?

i would like to find someone in the Las Vegas, NV area who is experienced with 1968-1972 wiring to contact me as I am willing to pay an affordable price to help with the above items.
My cell number is 757-329-0952 and my name is Steve, thanks!
Buy the manual Alan mentions and these are very good too.
http://docrebuild.com/oosoez/8971101.html
Old 02-23-2018, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

As mentioned...the factory assembly manual for you is a must.
As for getting the gauge cluster back far enough so you can service bulbs....that will NOT be in the assembly manual.

Depending if you are is an A/C car or non-A/C can kinda effect how you have to get the gauge cluster out.

If this work is something that you do not want to take on yourself. I would suggest you attending some of the car meets/shows in your area and talk with Corvette owners that have a Corvette like yours and find out who the Corvette guru is in your area.

Depending on IF your car has already been butchered by some previous person who did not want to take the time to do it correctly...can greatly effect how it comes apart and goes back together. And that is coming from experience.

This gauge cluster can SNAP and break really easy where the casting gets really narrow....and chances are it may already be broken. IF it is no...make sure that whoever does it does not break it. When I have to get into this area. I carefully look and I point the area out to the owner so IF it is broken....they cannot say that I broke it and hahve to replace it.

DUB
Old 02-23-2018, 06:44 PM
Steve0923@yahoo.com
Cruising

How do I get a factory assembly manual and will the areas I need to address shown in good detail that a novice can follow it? Cost?

BYW, thanks for your response. Steve
Old 02-23-2018, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

I know you know about 'Google'.. Google it. Any Corvette supplier will have an assembly manual.

The Corvette Forum has a list of 'Supporting Vendors' that will have it.

DUB
Old 02-24-2018, 08:19 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Steve,
The Assembly Instruction Manual is readily available from the larger vendors and on line.
Be certain you order the one for 71 cars.

It consists of drawings which some folks find difficult to understand or decipher but the information IS there.

Working on the electrical system in the interior requires that AT LEAST some of the interior be disassembled.

How long have you had this car?
Have these things ever/never worked?
Is the car somewhat disassembled ?.... I'm thinking it is if you can see the wiring under the shifter console.

My suggestion would be that you seek help here on addressing one problem at a time based on where in the interior the problem is.
What's difficult is that some problems require access to various parts of the interior at the same time... for instance the courtesy lamps are located under the dash and on the rear bulkhead, while the switches that control them are in the door jambs and the headlight switch in the dash.

So... describe you car a bit.
Do you have a place to work on it?
How about a few photos?
Regards,
Alan
Old 03-09-2018, 04:11 AM
Steve0923@yahoo.com
Cruising

Default 71 Stingray interior wiring

i would like to get help connecting the wiring under the center console (under the automatic shifter). I was trying to replace the original bulb lights with LED lights but when I removed the console cover it was then I noticed several color coded wires that were unconnected. With the corvette having the fiberglass body I did not know which wires required grounding and where those wires should be connected.

i could pay a reasonable price for someone to help me while I watch how he makes the connections. Then I could feel comfortable doing any other work in that area and be confident that I could complete it without any problems.

Like the old saying goes “take a man fishing one day to feed him once” or teach a man to fish and he can feed himself from that day on forever”!

Steve
Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 AM
Tonio
Drifting

Received 281 Likes on 226 Posts

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Have you purchased the AIM as folks have advised? If so, have you looked through it? The AIM goes a long way toward teaching you to fish.

Wiring grounds on C3s are almost always black. There are several of them at various places on the car.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-09-2018 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Steve,
Here's 2 of the wires under the shifter plate.
One is the lead for the cigarette lighter element and the other is for the lamp that's part of the lighter housing.
The Assembly Instruction Manual and a wiring diagram are essential when working on the interior electrical components.
Regards,
Alan

Old 03-12-2018, 06:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Steve0923@yahoo.com
i would like to get help connecting the wiring under the center console (under the automatic shifter). I was trying to replace the original bulb lights with LED lights but when I removed the console cover it was then I noticed several color coded wires that were unconnected. With the corvette having the fiberglass body I did not know which wires required grounding and where those wires should be connected.

i could pay a reasonable price for someone to help me while I watch how he makes the connections. Then I could feel comfortable doing any other work in that area and be confident that I could complete it without any problems.

Like the old saying goes “take a man fishing one day to feed him once” or teach a man to fish and he can feed himself from that day on forever”!

Steve
Steve,

Knowing what the colors of the wires you noticed would be helpful. Also posting GOOD photos of what you see also helps.

but..regardless of any of that...having the AIM is a must and possibly a good laminated wiring diagram also to make your learning a bit easier.

DUB
Old 03-12-2018, 09:31 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by DUB
Steve,

Knowing what the colors of the wires you noticed would be helpful. Also posting GOOD photos of what you see also helps.

but..regardless of any of that...having the AIM is a must and possibly a good laminated wiring diagram also to make your learning a bit easier.

DUB
Steve: read this!

When I bought my car, it had numerous electrical problems. I have tackled most of them in the last decade. I COULD NOT have made the progress that I have without the help of the folks here! I have been a car hobbyist for more than 30 years, but admit that electricals are the WEAKEST area of my car knowledge.

The more specific you can be, the more folks here can help. Remember, a picture really is worth a thousand words when talking about a car that is nearly a half a century old. Alan71 completely restored his car, and has an absolutely immense number of great pictures of what stuff is supposed to look like. I have taken apart my console twice fixing stuff, and have some good pictures of the fixed state too. Lots of other folks have good pictures too.

Post pictures of the wires that are not connected, and I'm sure that we can help you get them back to where they belong.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring help for 1971 Corvette Stingray

Quick Reply: Wiring help for 1971 Corvette Stingray