C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Separator Valve Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM
Kidster71
Highway Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 106 Posts

Thanks jd71 for the write up and the URL and thank you DC for the picture. It’s brilliant.

I’ve been working on my 1971 with a new ZZ6 EFI. I bought a Tanks inc. tank for the baffle and the internal fuel pump and the kit came with the aluminum roll over valve. Because the Tanks Inc. tank doesn’t have the spot welded bracket for the factory separator valve at the side of the tank, I was trying to figure out what way to go.

I thought of epoxying the factory separator valve to the side of the tank and reusing it with the charcoal canister.

I thought of just using the Tanks inc. roll over valve mounted at a high point but don’t want the potential fumes in the garage especially trapped up inside the rear deck.

Removing the screen cap of the Tanks Inc. roll over valve and direct plumbing it reusing my charcoal canister is brilliant.

Thank you,
Richard
The following users liked this post:
jd71 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 08:13 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidster
Thanks jd71 for the write up and the URL and thank you DC for the picture. It’s brilliant.

I now have about 400 miles on the new engine and can report that so far the rollover valve as I installed it appears to be working. No gas smell in the garage, no gas in the charcoal canister and I no longer have to worry about the separator valve failing.

DC
The following users liked this post:
Kidster71 (09-22-2020)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:26 PM
mongoose87
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by DC3
Interesting that you mention doing this. I had the same realization and just finished up mounting the rollover valve this past week.

DC
Can you give some more details where you mounted this aftermarket valve?
It's kind of hard to tell from your picture.
Is that in the engine compartment by the carbon canister, or back by the fuel tank?

If back by the tank, I thought this valve still needs some height above the filler neck, so wouldn't anywhere back there be problematic?
Old 01-25-2022, 08:22 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 353 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mongoose87
Can you give some more details where you mounted this aftermarket valve?
It's kind of hard to tell from your picture.
Is that in the engine compartment by the carbon canister, or back by the fuel tank?

If back by the tank, I thought this valve still needs some height above the filler neck, so wouldn't anywhere back there be problematic?

It's in the back. That's the drivers side frame rail at the bottom of the pic. You can see the ground plane for the antenna in the upper left. I mounted the valve forward of the tank near the rear bulkhead as high as I could. It's actually above the top of the tank but is not above the filler neck. The vent leaves at the top of the tank with my new setup so as long as I don't overfill the tank to where the fuel level is above the bottom of the filler neck, it's fine.

DC

Last edited by DC3; 01-26-2022 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Fuel Separator Valve Problem