C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tighten up stock shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Jerrys80
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tighten up stock shifter

I have an 80 corvette and my stock manual shifter feels loose or sloppy for lack of a better word. I have considered going aftermarket but I do like the original one. How would I go about making the original feel solid, or is this possible? I have looked at Hurst but it doesn't look like they make one for the 80 - 81 anymore. Any help on how to tighten up the original or ideas on what others have used aftermarket is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Jerrys80; 08-20-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

Start with a shifter rebuild kit.

https://www.zip-corvette.com/77-81-4...RoC11gQAvD_BwE
The following users liked this post:
Jerrys80 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 05:26 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,294 Likes on 3,920 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

check for wear in the linkage like the holes to being opened up or the rods being cut into. The rebuild kit will tighten it up if the rods are still in spec. Put the the rods in the upper hole at the tranny and the throws will be shorter too
Jerrys80 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 AM
Jerrys80
5th Gear

Thanks Iceaxe and Rescue Roger, I appreciate the help.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:52 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerrys80
I have an 80 corvette and my stock manual shifter feels loose or sloppy for lack of a better word. I have considered going aftermarket but I do like the original one. How would I go about making the original feel solid, or is this possible? I have looked at Hurst but it doesn't look like they make one for the 80 - 81 anymore. Any help on how to tighten up the original or ideas on what others have used aftermarket is appreciated. Thanks.
If it's worn alot try taking a look at this previous rebuild thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
The rebuild kit helps but resquaring the shifter "box" really makes for a nice original feel.
Jerrys80 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Jerrys80
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
If it's worn alot try taking a look at this previous rebuild thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
The rebuild kit helps but resquaring the shifter "box" really makes for a nice original feel.
Thank you. I will definitely look through that. I appreciate the help.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

First you have to identify WHERE the problem is at.

I can say that on about 99.9% of the shifters I tighten up I do not need to buy any parts.

On rare occasions the shifter linkage may be worn so the hole in the shift levers are fine but the rod itself has excessive front adn back play in it.

Make sure you use or replace any worn 'G: clips that holds the rods to the shifter levers. If my memory serves me correctly there is only ONE plate where cotter pin is used adn that is to secure the clevis pin. So using cotter pin to hold on all of your rods is not correct and you can get side movement in them and throw everything off when you go to set your NEUTRAL GATE.

Now....I know many have used flat washers and forced a cotter pin and used it that way and kept the rod from rotating...so do as you wish. They still make and sell the correct 'G' clips so that is what I use.

SO...IF your levers that are in your shifter with the rods connected to them have a lot of side to side play and can wiggle. Then I would take out the shifter and put it in a vise and slowly being to crush it inwards to get it so these levers can slide but have very little to no side to side play. Now when I do this it may be a 'hit or miss' if I can get the box closed up enough to my liking or if I need to take it apart...which for me is no big deal and not hard to do. Then when I feel I have got is closed up enough I re-assemble it an check it and if I went o far I can easily spread it back apart.

At this same when I have one of the levers in the shifter I check the DEPTH of how far the end of your chrome shifter handle actually fit in the notch it needs to fit into. I have often times needed to weld and EXTEND the end of this handle so when I use my line up tool for the neutral gate setting. I KNWO there is PLENTY of steel contacting the notch of the lever.

I have seen brand new shifters that were ground down too far an I had to add metal. Also when I am adding the metal at the end of the shifter handle...I grind and shape it to fit nicely in the notch on the lever so I do not have excessive movement in the shifter handle to the notch in the lever because I made it to narrow from front to back... so I am going my customer a really nice shifter.

Because if you stop and think about it ....years and yeas of the shifter being slammed to one side and then the other has caused for the box to widen.

DUB
Jerrys80 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Jerrys80
5th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
First you have to identify WHERE the problem is at.

I can say that on about 99.9% of the shifters I tighten up I do not need to buy any parts.

On rare occasions the shifter linkage may be worn so the hole in the shift levers are fine but the rod itself has excessive front adn back play in it.

Make sure you use or replace any worn 'G: clips that holds the rods to the shifter levers. If my memory serves me correctly there is only ONE plate where cotter pin is used adn that is to secure the clevis pin. So using cotter pin to hold on all of your rods is not correct and you can get side movement in them and throw everything off when you go to set your NEUTRAL GATE.

Now....I know many have used flat washers and forced a cotter pin and used it that way and kept the rod from rotating...so do as you wish. They still make and sell the correct 'G' clips so that is what I use.

SO...IF your levers that are in your shifter with the rods connected to them have a lot of side to side play and can wiggle. Then I would take out the shifter and put it in a vise and slowly being to crush it inwards to get it so these levers can slide but have very little to no side to side play. Now when I do this it may be a 'hit or miss' if I can get the box closed up enough to my liking or if I need to take it apart...which for me is no big deal and not hard to do. Then when I feel I have got is closed up enough I re-assemble it an check it and if I went o far I can easily spread it back apart.

At this same when I have one of the levers in the shifter I check the DEPTH of how far the end of your chrome shifter handle actually fit in the notch it needs to fit into. I have often times needed to weld and EXTEND the end of this handle so when I use my line up tool for the neutral gate setting. I KNWO there is PLENTY of steel contacting the notch of the lever.

I have seen brand new shifters that were ground down too far an I had to add metal. Also when I am adding the metal at the end of the shifter handle...I grind and shape it to fit nicely in the notch on the lever so I do not have excessive movement in the shifter handle to the notch in the lever because I made it to narrow from front to back... so I am going my customer a really nice shifter.

Because if you stop and think about it ....years and yeas of the shifter being slammed to one side and then the other has caused for the box to widen.

DUB
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Heres a write up from last winter when I rebuilt mine.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4107838-rebuilding-a-muncie-4spd-shifter.html
The following 2 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
GUSTO14 (08-21-2018), Jerrys80 (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 12:52 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-shifter.html
Great write-up and pictures Scott, thanks for posting that.

I can't believe I missed it, I guess I need to spend more time here on the C3 Forum...

GUSTO
Rescue Rogers (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 PM
Jerrys80
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-shifter.html
That definitely helps.
Rescue Rogers (08-21-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 07:02 PM
Lagonia
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

When I got my Vette last year, that is the first thing I rebuilt - the shifter - it was way too loose. It did improve but not to the point where I liked it. It wasn't long after that when I put in a 5-speed Tremec tranny. That solved *all* kinds of problems, including the loose shifter.
Jerrys80 (09-04-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm jealous
Old 10-05-2023, 02:08 PM
z06roadkiller
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default This weekends projct

Guys
Great post on the shifter rebuild. I did buy the shifter rebuild kit from ZIP and I will definitely square up the collar. I'm guessing this job had never been done on my '68 BB and it started giving me fits about 6+ weeks ago trying to get out to local shows

Doesn't look to bad other that trying to work in and out the 2 bolts on the shifter support bracket...It's a PITA as I rebuilt the trans and put it in last year (I know should have done the rebuild at that point) but was trying to get the other job done.
Thx for the posts

Get notified of new replies

To Tighten up stock shifter

Quick Reply: Tighten up stock shifter