C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 06:40 PM
nspctr1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring ?

I removed the ECM from my 81 and trying to identify the wires that run under the console. I've looked through the TSM and schematics on different sites but the colors do not seem to match. I'd like to do away with the unnecessary wires that were attached to the ECM. Can you help identify these?

Thx

This is attached to the neutral safety switch

Where do these go?

Where do these go?

AC switch?

Neutral safety switch?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 PM
sambrand
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

this is the wrong year but should have a lot similar, very detailed list from Wilcox
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LyS...y3FT0lcRl/view
Old 09-13-2018, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Photo #4 looks like the communication link that was under you ash tray to access the ECM.

You photos are good but I need to see the ends of the connectors where wire terminals can bee seen. Much like you did in the first photo. So I need to see the color of the wires and the terminal ends.

The last photo..I have no clue on what you are asking about there. Normally when a photo is being taken..the subject matter is in the center of that photo and there is nothing there to see.

DUB
Old 09-13-2018, 11:03 PM
StDomingos
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had a look at my 81, shop manual and wiring diagram so I'll take a stab (though I'm no where near the authority that DUB is)

^^^ I'm really not sure about this one. Possibly for the torque convertor lock-up. Maybe to the brake switch?

^^^ I believe this connects to the starter interrupt relay (part of the theft deterrent system). The relay should be on the aft right side of the console panel bracket (just in front of the shift lever).

^^^Pretty confident that this is the connector for the rear defroster. Top left-hand corner of the center console. The plastic pin fits into a recess in the bottom of the switch.

^^^ Diagnostic Check Connector. Wire colours should be; light blue, brown (white stripe), black (pink stripe), white (black stripe), black (white stripe).

^^^^ I'm with DUB on this one. Not sure what the subject of the photo is.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Photo #1 is what appears to be the connector that attaches to the neutral safety switch IF the car is an automatic. IF it is a manual transmission car it is not used due to the clutch safety switch is used instead so this wire would not matter.

AS for the rest of these connectors...'StDomingos' is SPOT ON CORRECT

DUb
Old 09-14-2018, 04:31 PM
wajulia
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The bigger connector looks like the OBD connector -- was it directly under the ash tray? -- the way you access it is to remove the ash tray. If so -- it can be removed. I have no idea about the single wire connector, The only other sensor inside the car would be the Speed Sensor -- and that aint it!

BUT another thought -- the wiring harness that goes to the ECM is JUST for the ECM -- you can remove the whole thing.

Last edited by wajulia; 09-14-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring ?

Quick Reply: Wiring ?