C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM
69vette$
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carpet

I decided that it’s time to replace the carpet in my late 69 corvette and purchased a set from OCC through Corvette America, right away noticed that the toe pad is missing so they are going to send a replacement, and now I noticed that the older carpet had jute backing on the piece that goes on the wall behind the seats but the new one doesn’t, anyone know which one is correct? With or without jute.
Thanks for any help
Old 09-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I believe original carpet had the jute.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:12 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'm posting something that I put in a thread a while back... only I've added a bit to it today...

Carpet jute backing is such a royal pain for us here because I have so many original sets to use and compare with. The 1968-1969 car had a mastic backed deadner in the the floor board and over time the carpet would mesh into it in the fronts and rear sections. So when the carpets were pulled from the car so was the backing with the assumption that it all was made that way but they were not.

The easy way to tell is that the Stevens logo can usually be found messed between the deadner and the carpet.

Where this becomes a problem is everyone gets the impression that the carpet had jute on it from the factory and when ACC and others started making carpet sets they put the backing on the carpet. Where this causes a problem is when people buy a carpet set, then buy the deaner kit... you can't have both the carpet won't fit worth a hoot.

On the original 69 we did a year ago when we removed the carpet the only sections of the carpet that actually had any glued on backing was the area we called the vertical riser and the rear T section. This rise had a section of jute glued to it about 4" wide and it ran all the way across the back side of the riser.

Below is a picture of the rear riser carpet from the back side.... I'm sure I've got more of the other sections too... We did a post on this on our facebook page a few years back on the 1968 low mile car we installed carpet into... I did post all those pics to facebook, at this link. (If you are on Facebook you'll have to look it up, the link won't post in here for some reason)
Facebook Post

So for us... when we order carpet sets in our shop we order them without the jute glued. (It comes in the box loose) so we can apply it in the correct manner to the carpet before installing. We also order the deadner kits (and sneak a thin heat barrier under it). The molds for your carpet set you got from ACC were made from the carpet set on the 68 and 69 cars we did back when I was trying to correct the rear and front molds with the help of ACC.

We did this because the previous molds were not cutting the mustard so I went on a mission to get them fixed (Big thanks to Randy Cotton (I call him the magic man because the man can get the carpet and make the mold and ship carpet to me in three days??? ) and Roger @ ACC)). We sent all kinds of original sets to them to use for patterns. You'll also find more on the rear sections at the links below.... The goal was to make the carpet correct. However, they are still putting the jute on the back and sometimes... not in the right places.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...68-1977-a.html

And this one link will help you with the deadner and show you some other neat things.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/?yt=&s=carpet+

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:03 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

T
Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The original carpets I have worked on/replaced ('68 and '71) both had sections of jute in some floor areas and on firewall. Jute [dry and un-compressed] is about as good as it gets for heat rejection for minimum expense. There were also several pieces of "tar-board" [for lack of a better term] which were there for sound deadening. They worked well in new cars (I had a new '74 that was plenty quiet with windows up.)

The aftermarket would have us believe that we need to spend more money on heat rejection and sound deadening that on the carpet itself. Not really the case....

Last edited by 7T1vette; 09-22-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet

Quick Reply: Carpet