C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tips on installing 70-77 door panel carpet strips

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Need tips on installing 70-77 door panel carpet strips

Upgrading my '71 standard door panels to deluxe and got the new carpet strips today. Also have some used original chrome strips. Of course the carpet strips came without any instructions. Some googling led to instructions that say to staple the carpet along the upper edge so the staples will be hidden by the chrome strip. Once that is done stretch the vinyl around the sides of the door panel and staple on the back.

There's no info on what kind of staples to use or what type of stapler. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be easier and better to glue them?

I'm also at a loss what this weird extra vinyl at the front upper edge is for?

Looking at the back I see the pencil outline they used from their template and it's clear it is there on purpose. But what is it for?

I'm hoping those of you who have installed these will chime in with tips on how to get a good looking result.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,139 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Check here for maybe some helpful info (or not)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591969887

M
Old 10-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Oh, that flap gets folded inside itself to hide the raw edge of the vinyl from showing where it goes around the front
M
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 PM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mooser
Oh, that flap gets folded inside itself to hide the raw edge of the vinyl from showing where it goes around the front
M
Ah, of course. That makes sense. Thanks.

Looked at the other thread, what staples and stapler did you use?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Well my brother is an upholsterer so we used his air gun, 1/4 staples for most of it but they are quite fine compared to what you might use, when he shoots them they sink into the vinyl without cutting, you'll likely use "arrow" staples so might have to go up to 3/8 when going through multiple layers.
here's some pictures of the back so you can see, after everything is totally done, trim off the excess vinyl but leave some tail past the staples.
Also, the new carpet I got (CA) was no where near the right size so we made a cardboard template off the chrome strip and fit it on the door where it fit best, marked the holes locations, drilled and trimmed the carpet to match.

In a totally related note
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-once.html

and a totally unrelated note
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...erior-mod.html
M

Last edited by Mooser; 10-16-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:02 PM
zwede
Race Director

I have some junk yard panels to make a template from so getting the holes in the right place should not be a problem. I have new wood inserts coming in Thursday. I hope they're better than the ones you got!

One issue I'll have is that my chrome pieces are original from a junked car. The visible portions look really good, almost no pitting. But most of the mounting bosses on the back are oxidized and partially gone. All still have threads in them so I can stud them, but I don't know if there's enough room behind the panel for studs & nuts. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful!
Old 10-17-2018, 07:23 AM
Mooser
Race Director

Plot those bolt locations out before you get too deep. IIRC there's not much room where some of them are and I even had to either bend or cut some of the countersunk washers corners off to clear rod links or something to get it to fit.
M

Get notified of new replies

To Need tips on installing 70-77 door panel carpet strips

Quick Reply: Need tips on installing 70-77 door panel carpet strips