C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Quadrajet solenoid bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 09:19 AM
RickDett
Racer

Location: Brigantine NJ. Tell me & I forget, teach me & I may remember, involve me & I learn. B Franklin.
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
You can't weld zinc pot-metal die castings - Q-Jet castings, other than the throttle plate and the choke housing, are die cast zinc, and cannot be welded.
Lars
Good to know!

Couple minor points.

I would like to locate and add a connector housing to the plug at the a/c compressor connector.

And to closer match what was commonly used and more correct looking in 1969 I would still like to replace the philips head screws with a flat head style screw. The picture below was what I used minus some length. ( Metric )

Rick

Old 12-19-2018, 09:01 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Hows it working? Very nice work done here.
I have a replacement Edelbrock 1401 and the avail solenoid through Edelbrock according to users is not strong enough to bump up the idle adequately.
Your set up looks like something that may work on my 68 BB.
Thanks for posting.
Marshal
Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
RickDett
Racer

Location: Brigantine NJ. Tell me & I forget, teach me & I may remember, involve me & I learn. B Franklin.

Marshal,

Excellent a complete tremendous correction. I can’t understand why GM chose not to use this as a stock setup from the factory.

Originally Posted by marshal135
according to users is not strong enough to bump up the idle adequately.
I will agree that this is the one downside, the solenoid does not have enough strength when first activated to bump up the idle without an initial light manual press of the gas pedal to start the idle increase. Once this is done it is good to go and requires no other attention.

I was wondering myself if this is the same issue with the 1970 350, 1969 427 or other years that came like this from the factory? I don’t know.

There seems to be many solenoid types maybe there are ones that are stronger than the one I choose (which was the Standard ES110).

But all in all it is still an incredible improvement.

Rick

Last edited by RickDett; 12-19-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:38 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Put a lighter return spring on the throttle cable.....
Old 12-21-2018, 09:38 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Rick,
Thanks for the feedback regarding my above ?... The uber rare 1968, 427 Quadrajet was long gone when I purchased her.
In lieu of spending my entire pension check on a restored 209 carb, I opted to purchase a new in box Edelbrock 1401.
It definitely resembles, at initial glance, the original equipment and that is suffice for me. I'm restoring slowly my AC as well.
I have the original solenoid wire running from the fuse box through the fire wall and then someone coiled it up around an insulation mat clip in the tow kick area.
This wire is plugged into the fuse box in accessory so that when the AC kicks on the solenoid is charged and bumps up the idle.
I'm planning on keeping this as a power source for the solenoid. Since everything '68 carb and idle solenoid bracketry is so ridiculously expensive
your set up looks to be the perfect solution for me. Thank you so much for taking the time and efforts to share a very worth while solution.
Merry Christmas to you and your family from mine.
Marshal
Old 07-08-2019, 11:13 PM
lousmall
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 350/350 4spd A/C Fast Idle Solenoid, Brackets, & Hardware

I'm original owner of a 1969 Corvette 350/350 L46 4 speed A/C car. I special ordered car from the factory. It's a Bloomington Gold Survivor Car. I have original Q Jet carb 7029207 and am looking for the fast idle solenoid, brackets, and hardware. Years ago carb was swapped out due to stripped inlet threads and solenoid must have been tossed. I had saved the original carb and am now restoring it and need fast idle solenoid and brackets. M. F. Dobbins 68-72 fact book has a good photo of it on page 88. Rick Bizzoco's 68-69 book has a photo of it on page 108 and says Solenoid is #1114418 and brackets are #3940915 & #3940917. Any ideas where to find them? Thanks, Lou
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 PM
teneck83
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Any updates Lou?
Old 05-18-2020, 10:30 PM
teneck83
Racer

Originally Posted by RickDett
The purpose here is to bump up the idle when the A/C is turned on. In 1969 a 350ci with A/C it did not come with this setup, only the 427ci with A/C had this setup. Without it the idle drops considerable and the A/C is not as efficient at such a low idle.

Rick
Rick, page 162 in the NCRS judging manual contradicts your statement about L46 motor with AC not having this setup.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 AM
nearflack
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Marshal,

Excellent a complete tremendous correction. I can’t understand why GM chose not to use this as a stock setup from the factory.

I will agree that this is the one downside, the solenoid does not have enough strength when first activated to bump up the idle without an initial light manual press of the gas pedal to start the idle increase. Once this is done it is good to go and requires no other attention.

I was wondering myself if this is the same issue with the 1970 350, 1969 427 or other years that came like this from the factory? I don’t know.

There seems to be many solenoid types maybe there are ones that are stronger than the one I choose (which was the Standard ES110).

Rick
I have the exact same issue on my 1980. Didn't think about the spring tension but will look at that. also am going to spray some Krol or something similar on all the moving parts to see if that frees it up any.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:42 PM
lousmall
3rd Gear

Haven't found the brackets & solenoid yet but I had the car at Carlisle 1969 Reunion last summer and talked to several carb guys in the swap meet area who thought they had some at home. I still need to follow up with them and get going on the project of rebuilding the original carb. I did find the electric harness that connects the A/C compressor to the solenoid.
I was one of (20) 69's at Carlisle under a special tent display for the 50th reunion. Had a awesome time and everyone really liked my original car. There were (3) original owner cars in display but only mine and one other with original paint. Thanks
Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM
teneck83
Racer

Originally Posted by lousmall
Haven't found the brackets & solenoid yet but I had the car at Carlisle 1969 Reunion last summer and talked to several carb guys in the swap meet area who thought they had some at home. I still need to follow up with them and get going on the project of rebuilding the original carb. I did find the electric harness that connects the A/C compressor to the solenoid.
I was one of (20) 69's at Carlisle under a special tent display for the 50th reunion. Had a awesome time and everyone really liked my original car. There were (3) original owner cars in display but only mine and one other with original paint. Thanks
thats really special. I was at the NCRS nationals and saw a handful of really nice 69’s. I’m restoring my L46 car with hopes to have it complete by July. It’s a neat car that was ordered by Chevrolet Engineering Division. Im hoping to show it this summer if organized car shows can continue
Old 05-21-2020, 03:25 PM
RickDett
Racer

Originally Posted by teneck83
Rick, page 162 in the NCRS judging manual contradicts your statement about L46 motor with AC not having this setup.
Teneck86: Interesting, post that page I'd like to see that.

Thanks
Rick
Old 10-18-2021, 07:49 PM
OldOwner
2nd Gear

Default A/C Quadrajet solenoid bracket

Marshal,

Rick
Rick did you place spacers between the solenoid and the modified bracket to accommodate the little nipples on the solenoid mount? I'm working on replicating this setup on my QJ with same bracket and solenoid. Thanks !!
Old 10-20-2021, 04:23 PM
RickDett
Racer

Originally Posted by OldOwner
Rick did you place spacers between the solenoid and the modified bracket to accommodate the little nipples on the solenoid mount? I'm working on replicating this setup on my QJ with same bracket and solenoid. Thanks !!
Nope, I left it with the very minimal space gap.

Rick

Old 10-20-2021, 04:44 PM
OldOwner
2nd Gear

Thanks ! I guess there's not enough stress on that to make any real difference once the screws are pretty snug. I'm debating using nuts versus threading holes. My throttle sits higher than yours so I'll need to mount the solenoid nearer the top of the bracket. (More excess bracket to cut or grind off) I know the solenoid is adjustable but am curious about how much torque is required to turn the shaft. Mine is pretty tight, but maybe just needs to be broken loose first. I get 3/8 inch of throw when the solenoid is engaged.

Quick Reply: A/C Quadrajet solenoid bracket