C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb or FI new install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Carb or FI new install

OK. I got my engine back from the machine shop. Once it is installed I'm trying to decide if I put the carb back on until I get it up and running or should I go ahead and put on the FiTech FI. The carb ran great for a carb. Just the cold start issues etc... My concern is I am using a different intake. Would that make much difference to the carb? I don't want to bite off too much at once.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:19 AM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

Put on that FiTech, if you have everything that's needed.

Think about this, does it have a warranty, and how long is the warranty period?

You want to find out ASAP that there aren't any issues with it, while you have warranty.

Keep the carb as a back up.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Just bought it Dec. 28. I will still need the fuel pump kit. Just that the carb is a known entity while the FI isn't. I don't want to be cranking over a new engine and it not run because of a new FI that I don't have right. hmmmm...decisions decisions..
Old 02-11-2019, 02:13 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Use known components to fire a new engine so you know it will immediately start and run. If you don't get immediate engine start on a new engine, you can flatten a cam PDQ...

Lars
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

put the carb on and get the motor broken in. You still have a lot to buy and modify for FI. You need to buy the command center and wiring plus plumbing it. You need to drill and weld a bung onto your exhaust system. You'll need to install everything. That can take time and depending on what they used to lube the cam you may not want to wait to long to break it in.

Depending on the intake you can run the carb on any intake that the FI mounts to. Most people recommend dual planes for street use/ RPM vs torque. And the more I see about the FI style carb units they like single planes.

What intake were you considering for the fueli injection?
The following users liked this post:
NewbVetteGuy (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I recommend a single plane intake if you do decide to go FI. The 180 degree firing order that helps a carb signal is not needed and you can cause distribution problems running a dual plane......
Fuel is introduced rather than drawn and acts differently.....a single plane helps even out cylinders.

Jebby
Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

That totally sucks. I sold my single plane and bought a dual plane. Maybe I can swap it.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Put the carb back on get the choke working if it has one.
EFI is great for quick cold starts and very hot weather (re starts), altitutde changes etc but really for the average weekend toy I think its a waste unless you just have to have it.
A well dialed in Edelbrock, Qjet, Holley is every day reliable, never had to touch any of the ones I DD back in the 80s/90s just change theoil and I pounded the daylights out of them not a single hicuup.
Current 850 is no different.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:11 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
That totally sucks. I sold my single plane and bought a dual plane. Maybe I can swap it.
If anything, I would say a divided plenum messes with EFI systems not built to use one. GM ran a dual plane with a divided plenum on all their TBI engines just fine but the GM TBI was built with passageways to measure vacuum from both sides of the intake.

At any rate, get it running with the carb and then go from there.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 02-11-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:06 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

I agree with everyone who says break it in with the carb, THEN switch to EFI.

I'm dealing with a rebuild bottom-end, rebuilt top-end, AND new EFI system and the list of things I have to validate and test and do prior to the first startup to ensure that it will PROBABLY run good enough to beat on it to get the rings to seat properly is pretty onerous.
Reduce that list to initial startup and break-in and save the EFI for after break-in.

Adam
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Flat tappet or roller cam? FWIW, I started and broke my engine in with a newly installed fitech without problems. Just make doubly sure it's right! If using a flat tappet cam then it might be sensible to use the carb, one less thing to worry about. As for the dual plane, give it a try, I'm using a Performer RPM because it's what I had, and it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To Carb or FI new install

Quick Reply: Carb or FI new install