C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

74 L82 best carb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Runningwild
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Lars. This is my first corvette. Have always wanted one but between the race cars and English sports car restorations, I’ve never been able to get one. It was a nice find. New paint, new interior, always in a heated garage but not driven only a few times in the last 4-5 years.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
You guys are onto me... The very first Q-Jets made (for race chariots for the Romans) were actually made from clay. The Q-Jets I installed on the Titanic were originally cast iron, which is why the bowls cracked when the iceberg was struck. I switched to aluminum just prior to WWII, and stopped selling Q-Jets for use on the Mitsubishi A6M5 (Zero) after the Germans attacked Pearl Harbor. The Q-Jets I built for the Minuteman ICBM Missiles and for the Space Shuttle were all made from Titanium, but those used in support of the US Automotive Industry were all zinc die castings. The Q-Jets used by NASA on the Mars Rovers were standard zinc die cast automotive models, but were 800 cfm to cope with the thin Martian atmosphere. Specially calibrated in the thin air of Denver, since conditions here are identical to Mars. And now you know the REAL story.

Lars
The uranium Q-Jets at Chernobyl had weak pull offs and caused the malfunction but impossible to prove as they were melted in "The Foot"........

Jebby
Old 04-01-2019, 11:10 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Shark
Lars isn't kidding, I actually found a picture of him.........

That photo was taken right after I finished doing the final tuning on the Titanic Q-Jets (there were 4 of them), and the ship achieved it's highest speed ever - much faster than ever anticipated by the designers. Had I not tuned the carbs, the Titanic would have been going slow enough that the iceberg impact would not have caused the fatal damage. The sinking of the Titanic is my fault. I got it running too fast. I'm sorry.

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
The uranium Q-Jets at Chernobyl had weak pull offs and caused the malfunction but impossible to prove as they were melted in "The Foot"........ Jebby
That's classified information, and was supposed to have been covered up with payoffs out of The Lars Foundation (a non-profit, charitable organization). You know nothing about that, Jebby.

Lars

Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM
Capt. Shark
Team Owner

Location: Into the Mystic And yet, despite the look on my face, you're still talking TN
Received 155 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Last time i saw picture of lars vette it had easy to install hooker side pipes. Must have got tired of rebuilding QJ's put on his favorite carb, new edelbrock. Cant blame him had 3 cars 2 pickups with QJs got tired of breaking down having to walk.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 04-02-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:20 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,928 Likes on 1,933 Posts

...I have no idea what that means...

Continuation of this thread, with the results of the carb problem, can be found here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1599189182

Lars

Last edited by lars; 04-08-2019 at 04:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (04-08-2019)

Quick Reply: 74 L82 best carb replacement