C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor accelerator pump weak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Agaon
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Carburetor accelerator pump weak?

Hi Gents,

The accelerator pump in my carburetor seems very weak. I barley get a few drops at each pump action. I have seen others produce an nice stream. I rebuilt the carburetor myself and confirmed all passages are squeaky clean. The accelerator pump itself and the little ball valve are new. Was I sold the wrong diameter pump? It looks about right compared to the original I took out.

Any thoughts what could be causing this? this one has me scratching my head.

Cheers!
Agaon
Old 05-23-2019, 12:14 PM
jim-81
Drifting

Received 280 Likes on 195 Posts

What type of carb? original/ aftermarket/ model #/ cfm ...
Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Agaon
Advanced

forgot to mention, the carburetor is the original 1971 Rochester Quadrajet.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:17 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

The accel pump should produce a strong, instant discharge stream. There are several things that can be wrong:
  • The pump you installed is not ethanol resistant, which will make it swell up and almost seize within a few hours of operation.
  • You did not polish the pump bore before installing the pump. In order for a new pump to operate in these old carbs, the pump bore must be meticulously polished by hand using fine ScotchBrite.
  • The accel pump shaft spring is not stiff enough to overcome the return spring. The springs are most often compressed and collapsed, and you have to stretch them back out to their correct length before using them
  • The pump is the wrong length pump. If the pump is too long, it will be depressed too far down "the hole" to operate correctly.
  • The pump ball retaining pin is incorrect (too long) and is jamming the pump ball
  • The tiny accel pump discharge transfer holes in the airhorn are plugged - impossible to see or correct without actually sticking some .020" diameter wire through them. I have seen these holes remain plugged after several hours of soaking in the hot tank, and after blowing everyhthing out with compressed air. They have to be staked out with .020" wire to assure that they're open - you can't see them.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 05-23-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Agaon
Advanced

Originally Posted by lars
The accel pump should produce a strong, instant discharge stream. There are several things that can be wrong:
  • The pump you installed is not ethanol resistant, which will make it swell up and almost seize within a few hours of operation.
  • You did not polish the pump bore before installing the pump. In order for a new pump to operate in these old carbs, the pump bore must be meticulously polished by hand using fine ScotchBrite.
  • The accel pump shaft spring is not stiff enough to overcome the return spring. The springs are most often compressed and collapsed, and you have to stretch them back out to their correct length before using them
  • The pump is the wrong length pump. If the pump is too long, it will be depressed too far down "the hole" to operate correctly.
  • The pump ball retaining pin is incorrect (too long) and is jamming the pump ball
  • The tiny accel pump discharge transfer holes in the airhorn are plugged - impossible to see or correct without actually sticking some .020" diameter wire through them. I have seen these holes remain plugged after several hours of soaking in the hot tank, and after blowing everyhthing out with compressed air. They have to be staked out with .020" wire to assure that they're open - you can't see them.

Lars
Hi Lars thank you for the very comprehensive reply! Very much appreciate it.

Only the following are a possibly. Every thing else checks out or has been account for. What should be the correct length of the pump (measuring from the plastic base to the top of the shaft)?
When you say retaining pin, do you mean the plug screw that holds the ball in? If so what should its length be?

Last edited by Agaon; 05-24-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:40 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,919 Likes on 1,929 Posts

You can see and read about the accel pump ball retaining pin issue in a post I did here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...pump-shot.html

For accel pump length, you need to mock up the carb and the pump and note the height of the pump shaft with the throttle in the idle position. Once noted, disassemble the carb, put the pump at the noted height, and verify that the pump plunger is just barely below the edge of the pump well fill slot in the float bowl. I have to do this with every carb I build, and at least 50% of the new accel pumps will be depressed way too far into the pump bore, producing an inadequate pump shot. Grind down the pump shaft to obtain the desired plunger height.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 05-24-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:20 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

GM came out with a spring to install on top of the check ball part #17083343 to cure this.
Old 12-30-2021, 01:56 PM
kossuth
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Not sure why I replied here….
Old 12-30-2021, 02:02 PM
calwldlife
Team Owner

Received 762 Likes on 613 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

I usually use the original steel pump shaft and just swap over the new cup.
Seen too many new steel shafts that are not correct.

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor accelerator pump weak?