C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head light vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 08:09 AM
Edward Ackley
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 49 Posts
Default head light vacuum lines

81 vette head light vacuum lines. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines from the head lights back to the fire wall does any one know a easy way to get them through the wall it seem like mine are sealed into the wall took the under dash vent tube off cant even see where the 2 lines come threw any help would be appriciated
Old 04-19-2020, 11:22 AM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 851 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward Ackley
81 vette head light vacuum lines. I have replaced all of the vacuum lines from the head lights back to the fire wall does any one know a easy way to get them through the wall it seem like mine are sealed into the wall took the under dash vent tube off cant even see where the 2 lines come threw any help would be appriciated

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
The following users liked this post:
Quackster (04-21-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 PM
Edward Ackley
Racer

thanks for the reply, guess i have to solve this my way DRATS
Old 04-19-2020, 12:09 PM
ADmirer
8th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edward, I recently replaced all the vacuum lines on my '68. I had already purchased a new firewall grommet to replace the old one that was there. Like you, I couldn't get the new hoses to fit. I now know that the newer hoses are slightly larger than the factory one. I tried using a drill bit to slightly widen the existing holes. That didn't work as the rubber would just expand and allow the bit to pass through. So I borrowed a friend's Rotozip. I used a tile blade that had diamond grit on it. I was able to slightly widen the holes so that the lines would fit. I see the diagram above deals with the AC. But you mentioned the headlight vacuum lines and I know that those pass through the firewall and go to the headlight switch and to the override switches on mine. I'm not sure about how they work on a '81 but the method of widening the holes may work. Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:28 PM
Edward Ackley
Racer

thanks for the reply, altho i do not see a grommet i can feel the fire wall, my dream last night said this is a no brainer hooked my 14 inch needle nose pliers on to the 2 hoses coming into the engine bay easiely tried to pull on the 2 hoses they would not budge. I knew than this was not going to be easy. so i pulled the air vent tube thats under the dash above the drivers seat so i could see better. than i decided to set and think about this. bottom line there is no easy fix for this
Old 04-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Edward Ackley
Racer

for future if any one replaces all the head light vacuum lines, the question I had was how do you get them threw the fire wall. here is the answer. there is a rubber gromment going threw the fire wall, there is a flared side on the engine side, you must cut this off you than can take your finger and push it into the car. tape the new lines togeather one has a white line the other is black, feed them through the fire wall hole and the rest is a no brainer hope this helps some one in the future no i did not put a new gromment into the fire wall
The following users liked this post:
garyguinn (04-27-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To head light vacuum lines

Quick Reply: head light vacuum lines