C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:07 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA

Based on the amount of play and your opinions, I guess my side yokes are toast. BTW, does anyone know what would cause a "clunk/thump" from the right side during braking? Is my clutch pack bad? Center pin? :confused:

Anyway, as for the title of this topic... I've read archived posts about rebuilding a differential and I think it's beyond my abilities.

I had tossed around the idea of doing the disassembly/assembly of parts I could do and have the rest (basically, whatever requires a press and puller) done at a shop; but right now, I'm leaning toward either just having someone do the rebuild for me or buying a rebuilt unit.

Can anyone recommend a shop the Richmond, VA area?
Is this something I could/should just take to a Chevy dealership?

I'd welcome stories on what you did to fix your differential/side yoke problem.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 12-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Mack
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA (jerryp58)

I had my differential rebuilt. I ordered and installed the new yokes myself, before I put the differential back in the car. Try Bair's for the rebuild. Not much to it really... :yesnod:
Old 12-23-2002, 09:41 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Re: Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA (jerryp58)

Jerry,
What differential do you have in your car(ratio)? We probably have it in stock and you can pick it up tomorrow. If you live in Colonial Hieghts I am sure you have heard of us, Zip Products. We build all of our differentials in house. We will be open tomorrow until 1pm and will re-open on thursday. By the way we are in Mechanicsville, just on the other side of Richmond.
Justin

[Modified by jabbott, 9:42 PM 12/23/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:25 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA (jabbott)

Justin, you saved me a phone call.
I was a little confused by your catalog (I've been to your store many times BTW).
I think I have a 3.08 and I don't see that listed in the catalog.
Also, if I read the catalog correctly, I can drop my differential off and you will rebuild it, CORRECT?
If so, how long does the rebuild usually take?

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 12-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 330 Likes on 191 Posts

Sure I would rather you drop your differential off. It depends on when you drop it off as too how long it takes. We rebuild them tues-thurs so if you bring it to me on a tuesday I should ave it back to you by wed or thurs of the same week. It all will depend on how busy we are at the moment.
Justin

Get notified of new replies

To Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA

Quick Reply: Need Recommendation -- Differential Rebuild(er) in Richmond, VA