C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 hood induction stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 05:54 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 364 Posts

Doug
At this point you could use a piece of wire and simply touch each end to the plug that goes to the very hard to reach slide switch (at the accelerator). If the solenoid energizes, then you can test the switch by setting your voltmeter to test “Continuity”. With key removed from ignition, attach the meter leads to each of the switch terminals and then move the round post up and down. If the switch is good you will see the meter needle move (numbers increase on a digital meter) plus hear a tone from the meter. You can test the “Continuity” by touching both meter leads together. I hope this makes sense.
Old 04-25-2022, 06:11 PM
DRC
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliredandblack
Doug
At this point you could use a piece of wire and simply touch each end to the plug that goes to the very hard to reach slide switch (at the accelerator). If the solenoid energizes, then you can test the switch by setting your voltmeter to test “Continuity”. With key removed from ignition, attach the meter leads to each of the switch terminals and then move the round post up and down. If the switch is good you will see the meter needle move (numbers increase on a digital meter) plus hear a tone from the meter. You can test the “Continuity” by touching both meter leads together. I hope this makes sense.
Yes, I was thinking something like that also. The switch has two prongs, I assume the movement of the post completes the circuit from one prong to the other. That in turn sends 12 volts to the wire connector by the headlight actuator and from there up to the solenoid wire on the hood.
Tks. Doug
Old 04-25-2022, 07:52 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by DRC
Ok, I already have 12 volts at the wire connector which plugs into the accelerator switch. I can also just do a continuity test from the accelerator wire to the headlight actuator location, then the other side of that connector up to the wire ending at the hood.

If that all shows full continuity then I can assume the accelerator switch is bad.

Do you think I should use the 50 year old solenoid or get a new one (China made?).

Tks. Doug
I am still using the 50 year old solenoids in my 73 (hood flapper and anti dieseling one at carb) and they work great and most likely will contiue to do so unless hit with a hammer or voltage spike.

Follow Eliredanblack's procedure. Easier than what I outlined.

Fran
Old 04-26-2022, 09:03 AM
DRC
Pro

Ok, plugged solenoid back in hood connector and grounded. Wire linked both slots of accelerator switch wire together. Key on and solenoid arm pops out. So solenoid and wiring to hood all ok.

See pics, took switch out, set meter on continuity. Switch closed, off, and no continuity. Switch open, on, and still no continuity. So, switch must be the problem.

Will order kickdown switch which I believe is same for accelerator pedal.

Thanks guys for your help, much appreciated.

Doug

Old 04-26-2022, 09:11 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

When you purchase the new switch be Sure to test it with your meter prior to installation. I don’t trust restoration parts after reading all the horror stories.
The following users liked this post:
73racevette (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 09:43 AM
DRC
Pro

When you purchase the new switch be Sure to test it with your meter prior to installation. I don’t trust restoration parts after reading all the horror stories.
Thanks, and I have a question. My switch has the post starting in the center. Pics on line show the post at the bottom. Ads call it a kickdown switch. Is the switch really different for auto or 4 speed car? Zip has a part number for kickdown, and a separate part for pedal switch.
Doug

Old 04-26-2022, 09:51 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 741 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by DRC
If you notice, the lever is in the middle position, and the switch will move down real easy correct?
If you try to push the lever up it has a stop correct?

On mine I pushed the lever up past the stop (it clicks but goes past)
Then I re-installed the switch and stepped on the gas pedel all the way to "set" the switch and mine started working again
Seems the switch is self adjusting just needs to be set at the top for the adjustment to take pace
Old 04-26-2022, 09:57 AM
DRC
Pro

Originally Posted by walleyfisher
If you notice, the lever is in the middle position, and the switch will move down real easy correct?
If you try to push the lever up it has a stop correct?

On mine I pushed the lever up past the stop (it clicks but goes past)
Then I re-installed the switch and stepped on the gas pedel all the way to "set" the switch and mine started working again
Seems the switch is self adjusting just needs to be set at the top for the adjustment to take pace
I tried that. But switch still no continuity. Some ads show switch post starting at mid point, some show post starting at the bottom.
Doug
Old 04-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Doug
The post on the switch will travel up and down, that being said, my 73 AIM says that the switch will be “Indexed” by pressing the accelerator all the way to the floorboard. My old switch as well as the new switch never did that. So I had to add the large rubber “Doughnut” to make the accelerator hit / move the switch. My OEM switch was not broken, and I don’t see how the accelerator metal parts could have been bent. When you install the new switch, visually make sure the the post on the switch moves once the accelerator is pushed to the floor. I believe that all the switches are made by Lectric Limited and their quality is pretty good, the kick down and cowl vent switch are the same.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:47 AM
DRC
Pro

Doug
The post on the switch will travel up and down, that being said, my 73 AIM says that the switch will be “Indexed” by pressing the accelerator all the way to the floorboard. My old switch as well as the new switch never did that. So I had to add the large rubber “Doughnut” to make the accelerator hit / move the switch. My OEM switch was not broken, and I don’t see how the accelerator metal parts could have been bent. When you install the new switch, visually make sure the the post on the switch moves once the accelerator is pushed to the floor. I believe that all the switches are made by Lectric Limited and their quality is pretty good, the kick down and cowl vent switch are the same.
Ok, so I guess no matter if the post is at middle or bottom position to start one press of pedal will index it. I will test with meter before install.

Tks. Doug
Old 04-26-2022, 01:46 PM
DRC
Pro

Ok, I ordered the new Lectric Limited switch.

Can someone please post a picture of the switch installed. I want to make sure I have it indexed right. Is there a top, bottom, left, right, and does it matter which way the connector is plugged in.

And I see there is an original foam seal that goes in the hood flapper area. No longer available. I have the original thin gasket. See pic from assembly manual point # 1, and can I make up something to fill in? May as well make this as complete as possible.

Tks. Doug

Old 04-26-2022, 05:07 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

Doug,
I am glad you narrowed down the problem to the switch and have one on the way. Attached is a picture of mine I took this afternoon. Hope it helps.

Fran

The following users liked this post:
'73and'75 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 06:53 PM
DRC
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue73Shark
Doug,
I am glad you narrowed down the problem to the switch and have one on the way. Attached is a picture of mine I took this afternoon. Hope it helps.

Fran

Thanks Fran, perfect!

Doug
Old 05-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I got curious and tried ignition ON pedal to the floor and didn't hear squat on my '73 SB 4 speed. Through all the verbiage above am I correct that all you have to do to check flapper solenoid itself is unplug tan/black connector out there by headlight and hit tan side with 12v and black side with a good ground? Blueshark lost me at "both sides need juice." Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2022, 01:25 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Not sure about the statement for “both sides need juice.” The door has a common solenoid that needs 12 volts to one wire and a ground to the other wire. If depressing the accelerator all the way down does get you voltage, then I would look at the switch that is activated by the accelerator. You have to be a contortionist to look at it, and even worse to remove it.
Old 05-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Not sure about the statement for “both sides need juice.” The door has a common solenoid that needs 12 volts to one wire and a ground to the other wire. If depressing the accelerator all the way down does get you voltage, then I would look at the switch that is activated by the accelerator. You have to be a contortionist to look at it, and even worse to remove it.
That's what I figured El and thanks. Post #14 above is what I was referring to/what kinda threw me off. Since I'm not a contortionist I think I'll start at the solenoid for the door first and work back from there.

So now that I know that door is out there, is it safe to say that it will only open when your foot is to the floor (activating switch under dash)? Then it follows that the second you let off the gas it closes again?
Old 05-01-2022, 02:51 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

On my 73 the solenoid will open when the accelerator is pressed almost to the floorboard. For some reason, I had to put a large “doughnut” shaped piece of rubber on the round switch arm so that the accelerator would make contact it.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 hood induction stopped working

Old 05-01-2022, 03:56 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

why not just put keyed 12 volts to it so its always open when running. why wait till full throttle for air input
probably better mid range too
Old 05-01-2022, 07:49 PM
Blue73Shark
Burning Brakes

"So now that I know that door is out there, is it safe to say that it will only open when your foot is to the floor (activating switch under dash)? Then it follows that the second you let off the gas it closes again?"[/QUOTE]

Yes as long as the ignition is in the ON position. And you can apply 12v + and - (from ground) to the socket at the end of the wires from the solenoid at the connector that is near trhe headlight actuator to see if it works. The solenoid is not grounded to the metal hood; hence the separate ground wire going to it.

Fran
Old 05-02-2022, 08:04 AM
Elcransonator
Burning Brakes

Thanks Fran, I figured that's what you meant. I'll be testing that thing later today hopefully.

Quick Reply: 73 hood induction stopped working