Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default 14 months of storage

What would 14 months of storage would do to my ride? Besides 4 flat tires unless I put it on stands...
Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 PM
williammackean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07

This has been a topic of much discussion. Search for threads related to 'storage' or 'storing' and you'll get a bunch of info.

A few key points:
-Overpressurize the tires by 5# and park on styrofoam. No jackstands needed. No harm done either way.
-Change the oil & filter
-Fill up with high grade gas and stabilizer like Sea Foam and drive for 50 miles. Top off tank as full as is reasonably possible.
-Put a bar of soap in the cabin.
-Put a moisture absorber in the cabin.
-Cover the vehicle.
-Put steel wool in the tailpipes.
-Put traps & some poison in the rims of tires.
-Buy an electric critter-annoyer from a hardware store and plug in near the vehicle.
-Some say to attach a trickle charger to the battery. Some say to remove/disconnect the battery. Some say not to worry either way.

Other than that, I'm sure others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:32 PM
MBDiagMan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that all of the previous posters suggestions are good ones.

I just got my Vette out after it set 3 years in what is basically a barn. It had a rats nest behind the radio and climate control module that was as big as a softball. I ended up taking the whole dash apart to make sure there was no wiring damage and I was VERY lucky.

I think that rat damage to the wiring harness would be the worst possible damage from storage.

Using something in the fuel to keep the injectors free is also a big deal. I have had to replace injectors in cars that have been in storage.

I would add more than five pounds to the tire pressure. I would air them to the max inflation pressure on the sidewall and maybe even more than that. The max pressure rating is for driving.

Have a safe tour and we appreciate your service.

Best of luck,
Old 11-24-2005, 05:40 PM
RIISITAS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great suggestions above. I took one of my vehicles out of storage after three years and had no problems at all. Definitely air up the tires. I would remove the battery completely. I left the battery on an automatic batterry tender and amazingly the battery was okay when I checked it out after 3 years. I pumped out all of the old gas Stabil and all and replaced it with fresh gas before firing it up. I put in fresh premium gas, put the battery back in, turned over the motor a few times with the coil disconnected. Reconnected the coil, hit the starter and it fired right up like I had just parked it overnight. No leaks, no problems at all. Thanks for your service. Have a safe deployment.

Get notified of new replies

To 14 months of storage

Quick Reply: 14 months of storage