Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Estalks
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter storage

Hi all.
I will be storing my 96 for the first time. I live in upstate NY. LONG COLD WINTERS. I have a place to store with crushed stone floor (pole barn). I have a cover.
Next year I have a garage lined up for storage.
What's the proper protocol for long term storage.
Thanks!
Ed
Old 10-12-2018, 05:06 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Sta-bil & a full tank of gas, also put battery on a slow charger/maintainer.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:08 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Hornet
Yeah, I'll agree withe TGH. Nothing special. You probably want to consider waiting for a nice day with clear roads and drive it around the block allowing the heat and AC to work through the cycles. Open/close all doors window, push all the buttons, move electric seats around... this is the best PM of all.

As our cars age there is nothing (nothing) worse than lack of exercise.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 787 Likes on 564 Posts

I would consider a cheap green Walmart tarp to park the car over to keep moisture from coming up out of the rock. Should only cost maybe $10.00. Dan
Old 10-12-2018, 06:58 PM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

Make sure you put the tarp down as Whaleman suggests the moisture coming up will create surface rust on surfaces and could create issues with corrosion on electrical connections including grounding. Also make sure the cover you are using breathes to keep dust off and no moisture trapped between the cover and the paint. Wrecks havoc on the paint during freeze and thaw cycles when not stored in a heated garage (cost me a paint job on a 1968 MB).
Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Air up the tires to ~40psi .
Old 10-13-2018, 07:47 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Yeah, I'll agree withe TGH. Nothing special. You probably want to consider waiting for a nice day with clear roads and drive it around the block allowing the heat and AC to work through the cycles. Open/close all doors window, push all the buttons, move electric seats around... this is the best PM of all.

As our cars age there is nothing (nothing) worse than lack of exercise.
2nd agree
Old 10-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

All the suggestions above are good. I might add that I found a need for rodent (mice) deterrent necessary to keep the buggers at bay. (Mice have "parked" more than ONE vehicle around here!! Forgetting to use the poison has usually been a regrettable mistake!! )

A trip to my farm supply store for a bucket of TOMCAT rodent bait is well worth the cost and the trouble to find it.

Last edited by Paul Workman; 10-13-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 PM
IowaClass65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the Marine Sta-bil if at all possible. Much better for long term storage especially with ethanol fuels. Good luck with your storage, I am in Niagara County and this is my first winter of Corvette storage!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Estalks
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IowaClass65
Find the Marine Sta-bil if at all possible. Much better for long term storage especially with ethanol fuels. Good luck with your storage, I am in Niagara County and this is my first winter of Corvette storage!
thanks and thanks to all the replies.
I only use non ethanol gas. I didn’t realize taking the battery out was such a hassle. What’s my second option ( I don’t have access to power for a trickle charge. I will next year).
I bought the tarp. Put in the sta-bil. Pumped the tires to 40 psi. Got the tomcat mouse whackers. Changed the oil.
Just need to figure out the battery detail.
Thanks again fellas!!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
All the suggestions above are good. I might add that I found a need for rodent (mice) deterrent necessary to keep the buggers at bay. (Mice have "parked" more than ONE vehicle around here!! Forgetting to use the poison has usually been a regrettable mistake!! )
This ^^^ Needs to be taken seriously.
Mice can cause thousands of dollars of damage in a very short period of time. In fact, I would say mice are the single greatest risk to a car in storage.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:31 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

nothing. do you think new car dealers do anything to cars when they sit for a few months? the only thing to do is rodent control. its just a car not a priceless art
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 PM
IowaClass65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a window handy? Harbor Fright sells small solar panels that plug into the lighter and trickle charge the battery. We used one for years for my dad's car after he passed. We were fighting dead battery frequently until we got the solar charger. It was the best $20 I spent in a long time!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:17 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by The Green Hornet
Pretty much all you need to do or disconnect the battery which is what I do as I don't have access to AC plug...I always find the battery is still (nearly) fully charged come spring. You might want to inflate tires to maximum pressure, helps keep the tires from flattening out over the months.

If we're only talking 6 months, there is not a ton that needs to be done.

As for rodents that is definitely a concern! I've fought that battle in the past when I keep mine in my driveway under a cover over winter and they caused quite a bit of damage! Hate those bastards!

Last edited by bac22; 10-23-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
nothing. do you think new car dealers do anything to cars when they sit for a few months? the only thing to do is rodent control. its just a car not a priceless art
New cars are just that. New cars. They haven't been subjected to 30 years of use yet. New cars have new parts, tires, paint, interior, drive trains and new wiring. All the things that are going to age and deteriorate quickly if not preserved well in an older car. By doing "nothing" to a car roughly 30 years old for its preservation is a sure way of insuring problems when you take it out of storage.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,939 Likes on 4,780 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
New cars are just that. New cars. They haven't been subjected to 30 years of use yet. New cars have new parts, tires, paint, interior, drive trains and new wiring. All the things that are going to age and deteriorate quickly if not preserved well in an older car. By doing "nothing" to a car roughly 30 years old for its preservation is a sure way of insuring problems when you take it out of storage.

I do nothing but unhook my battery in my restored 66SS 396 Chevelle and I store it in a unheated grage that sees below freezing temps. With no Ill effects in 3-4 months winter storage. My dad does the same thing with his three 67 Corvettes only his garage never gets below 40. No I’ll effects for him. They are just cars
Old 10-20-2018, 02:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Fill up as late as possible, dump Sta-Bil, Seafoam or whatever is your choice of fuel stabilizer. Dump a couple packs of
THIS THIS
in the car. Disconnect and remove the battery. Place in some dark corner of the garage and hook up a battery tender to it.

I am leery of the rodent killer simply because they mice don't instantly die. Supposedly it makes them head towards lighted areas but I have seen a dead mouse in an RV before so....

Get notified of new replies

To Winter storage

Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I am leery of the rodent killer simply because they mice don't instantly die. Supposedly it makes them head towards lighted areas but I have seen a dead mouse in an RV before so....
Yup, I made that mistake the first time I realize I had a mouse in the Vette and used rodent killer...the damn thing died in my dash and the smell was so bad in the spring that I had to completely tear the dash out to air it out!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:43 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Also place "Bounce" dryer sheets in, under and all around the car. Do not use a generic brand. I get a box of 240 for just under $10.
Use lots of them. I even put them in the engine compartment, just make sure to remove them before you start your car in the spring. Leave yourself a note in the car.

Last edited by JETS C3-C4; 10-24-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:00 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Really? We've got these bit's of "advice":
*Tarps on the floor.
*Over inflate the be-jeezus out of the tires
*Magic potions in the gas tank
*Rodent control
*Ritualistic placement of "Bounce" Dryer sheets.
*Battery rituals.

Of those (and all the gems yet to come)....what are they going to do, to "preserve" an old car....that a new car is immune to??

My 26 year old car gets an oil change and I fill the gas tank (with gas) before putting it away. Same with the boat. And the snowmobiles. And the snow blower...and lawn mower.... Been doing this routine for over 18 years. Where have I failed? Where the the "problems" that I've "insured" (sic)?

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 10-23-2018 at 01:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter storage